Melting sea ice opening new routes to Asia

Some jackasses don't realize that we are creating our own history.

There is a garbage patch in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, twice the size of Texas, that we created.

if you research this you will discover that this "garbage patch" consists of a vast area with about 100 pieces of plastic spread across a sq kilometer.

Or considerably cleaner than the same area along the side of freeways, parking lots, public parks.

There is a hole in the ozone larger than Antarctica, that we created.

and we are creating our own history by fixing it. Montreal Protocol, look it up.

There was an oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico larger than the state of Maryland, that we created.

and we cleaned it up in a few months

In the next 100 years we will have doubled atmospheric CO2. Already CO2 is at the highest level ever recorded, and the Antarctic ice core record goes back 600,000 years.

and yet even after CO2 doubles it will still only be 66%-10% as prevalent as it has been throughout most of history. We are at a CO2 minimum, dude. It is normal for the Earth's atmosphere to have 3-20 times as much CO2 in the atmosphere as we do at present.

That seems to be the nub of the problem. I don't care what's "normal" for earth. I care what's normal for US, i.e. the climate we evolved under. I don't care to go back to the climate under which the dinosaurs or trilobites evolved.

There is a garbage patch in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, twice the size of Texas, that we created.

if you research this you will discover that this "garbage patch" consists of a vast area with about 100 pieces of plastic spread across a sq kilometer.

Or considerably cleaner than the same area along the side of freeways, parking lots, public parks.

and we are creating our own history by fixing it. Montreal Protocol, look it up.

In the next 100 years we will have doubled atmospheric CO2. Already CO2 is at the highest level ever recorded, and the Antarctic ice core record goes back 600,000 years.

and yet even after CO2 doubles it will still only be 66%-10% as prevalent as it has been throughout most of history. We are at a CO2 minimum, dude. It is normal for the Earth's atmosphere to have 3-20 times as much CO2 in the atmosphere as we do at present.

That seems to be the nub of the problem. I don't care what's "normal" for earth. I care what's normal for US, i.e. the climate we evolved under. I don't care to go back to the climate under which the dinosaurs or trilobites evolved.

Wow, you really are arrogant aren't you? Try reading a little history some time. We evolved under many different climates over the millenia. It's been hot and it's been cold.
It has never been static. Where we do have records going back that far a warmer planet has been beneficial to all living things. I suggest you remove your blinders and read the history that Pliny the Elder wrote, look at the various archealogical digs and research that shows that without exception the period of the Roman Warming Period was a time of great plenty for all. And it was 5 to 6 degrees warmer than it is currently.

Last edited:
Come on guys, go easy on Chris. The facts may not back up his claims, but he's gotta have something to scare us with.

These jackasses think "history" is only as old as they are.

There is a hole in the ozone larger than Antarctica, that we created.

There was an oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico larger than the state of Maryland, that we created.

We are changing the earth.

All of this means nothing Chris old boy. The hole in the ozone layer has only been measured for 35 years or so and is now appearing to be entirely natural.

The garbage patch will eventually disappear.

The oil in the gulf is about the same amount that gets naturally seeped into the gulf every day.

CO2, according to the Vostock ice cores, is not a driver in temperatures. And even if the planet is warming more...that is good. Only fools like you seem to want an ice age.

Stop getting your panties in a bunch...the world isn't ending...not even close. Everything that man has done he can fix. The climate doesn't care what we do so long as we don't burn it off in a nuclear exchange.

Life is good! Enjoy it! Think globally act locally. I bet yuor neighborhood has a few areas where it could use some of your attention...go clean that up!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-rJ-6hBfSo"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-rJ-6hBfSo[/ame]

You might want to research the "garbage patch" some more.

No more oil in the gulf huh....ALL gone huh...

The oil hasn't seemed to have much impact. Bad at the beginning for sure but like all disasters life springs back quickly.

I think maybe you need to look at something other than wiki for your scientific reports, the garbage patch is extensive but most of it can't be seen with the naked eye and is slowly disappearing to the bottom.

Gulf corals in oil spill zone appear healthy - Boston.com

Marine Debris Program - Marine Debris Info

I din't use Wiki, amusing how you would assume that, since I never posted any links.

Both of these statements are false...

The oil hasn't seemed to have much impact. Bad at the beginning for sure but like all disasters life springs back quickly.

I think maybe you need to look at something other than wiki for your scientific reports, the garbage patch is extensive but most of it can't be seen with the naked eye and is slowly disappearing to the bottom.

I din't use Wiki, amusing how you would assume that, since I never posted any links.

:lol::lol: What are you a Chris clone? :lol::lol: Look at the NOAA page. You will actually learn something....if you care to learn. If you don't care to learn, why then, enjoy your blissful ignorance.

:lol::lol: What are you a Chris clone? :lol::lol: Look at the NOAA page. You will actually learn something....if you care to learn. If you don't care to learn, why then, enjoy your blissful ignorance.

No. Are you incapable of any cognitvie thought processes? I do believe the NOAA site concerning the garbage patch. My statement about both those false (inaccurate may be a better word) statements that I quoted still stands, neither are accurate.

Moore's claim of having discovered a large, visible debris field is, however, a mischaracterization of the polluted region overall, since it primarily consists of particles that are generally invisible to the naked eye.

in the North Pacific Subtropical Gyre in 1999, plastic abundance was 335 000 items km2 and 5.1 kg km2

Great Pacific Garbage Patch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is 11.2 lbs of plastics (too small to see with the naked eye) spread across a square kilometer. Or considerably cleaner than the side of an ordinary freeway, a parking lot or a public park.

So you are a devout conservative and not a very smart one.

There is nothing special about the climate under which we evolved, in fact much of that climate under which we evolved is a frigid ice age climate that would be absolutely devastating to our 7 billion population and may even destroy civilization as we know it.

We could live and thrive if the Earth's climate got 11 degrees warmer, but we would be hard pressed to support ourselves across more than half of the now habitable earth is there were miles of ice collected upon it.

Pardon me: If you research this you will discover that this "garbage patch" consists of a vast area with about 11.2 lbs of plastic spread across a sq kilometer.

Is that better, moron?

this northern route bit has moved up many rungs on my world war 3 scenario list.

Forum List

Back