Melbourne - Hottest Night in a Century

Sadly, from what I have read the winds, heat and fires is a constant part of summer in Australia as it is in California, and the SouthWest. As Will Rogers said, the heart of the West is Desert. Melbourne originally was a treeless plain prior to settlement and the climate has not chanaged there. Google Australia Heat Waves and they go back in recorded time which is only about 150 years. 87 degrees is a heat wave? Out here in Vegas we are at least 110 July and August. Reading Andre Aggassi book and he constantly comments on the heat in Australia in the summer and DC. Warm is good and cold is bad as all of England, much of Europe and the USA have found out in the last 2 months. A century takes us back to 1910 and in the Billions of years history of the Earth, that is not even a blink let alone a history maker.

Last edited:
Victoria bakes above 40 degrees | Hottest-ever night | Weather

Given that I live in the hottest capital city in Australia I really feel for people and animals in Victoria. They've had some terrible heat in the last week, where I am we've just got some relief with a southerly and a bit of rain so it feels a bit tropical here.

Our climate is changing indeed. Even in my own memory I don't recall it being as hot as it is now in summer and I worked for years in the outback. Heck day before yesterday my city was hotter by three or four degrees (C) than Alice Springs!

Climate Change

Forum List

Back