Mel arrested for DUI Suspicion

Nuc said:
Also where are his FRIENDS when he decides to do this? I just took my buddy's keys away from him a few weeks ago and got him a hotel room. Doesn't Mel Gibson have friends looking out for him?

There's always that one idot who won't give up his keys, take a nap etc, etc. You get their keys when they walkk in the door.

Oh who the hell cares about Mel? Does it affect my life? NO!

Is he a model of society? Hell NO, he’s another Hollywood actor that f’d up, pleeeeessssssssseeeeeee.

Mel's Apology:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060729/ap_en_ot/people_gibson

Mel Gibson issued a lengthy statement Saturday apologizing for his drunk driving arrest and saying he has battled alcoholism throughout his life.

The actor and "The Passion of the Christ" director also apologized for what he said were "despicable" statements he made to the deputies who arrested him early Friday on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu.

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested," he said in a statement issued by his publicist. "I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse."

He said he was taking "necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

Publicist Alan Nierob declined to elaborate beyond Gibson's statement, and sheriff's Sgt. Rich Erickson declined to respond, saying the case was still under investigation.

Gibson, 50, was arrested for investigation of driving under the influence of alcohol after deputies stopped his 2006 Lexus LS 430 for speeding at 2:36 a.m. Friday. Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said deputies clocked him doing 87 mph in a 45 mph zone.

A breath test indicated Gibson's blood-alcohol level was 0.12 percent, Whitmore said. The legal limit in California is 0.08 percent.

The actor-director posted $5,000 bail and was released at 9:45 a.m.

Gibson also apologized Saturday for what he called "my belligerent behavior" when he was taken into custody.

"The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person," he said.

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable."

Nierob and sheriff's officials declined to discuss what Gibson said.

Gibson won a best-director Oscar for 1995's "Braveheart" and had a 2004 religious blockbuster with "The Passion of the Christ." He also starred in the "Lethal Weapon" and "Mad Max" films, "What Women Want" and "The Man Without a Face," among other movies.

I would sincerely like to apologize to the members of this board for my alcoholism. I have been battling it my entire life, even while in utero. It has been reflected in my posts. The stupid ones were done in the throes of this hideous disease, while the intelligent ones were done in the glorious light of sobriety. Therefore I do not take responsibility for the stupid ones. This includes future posts. If you disagree with any of my future posts pity my alcohol addled brain, but do not respond. Thank you for your indulgence.

Why on earth do I care about Mel Gibson? I have nothing against the guy except the statements here are inappropriate. But honestly I really dont care what he does.

This week has been a bunch of stupid celebrity headlines. Lance Bass is Gay. Mel Gibson was drunk. I don't care?! This isnt news. What's tomorrows headline going to be, "Sharon Stone takes a piss?"

Gem said:
Looks like ol' Mel has gone right round the bend.

Here's a question: Will he be forgiven as quickly as Robert Downey Jr., Ozzy Ozbourne and his family, the Kennedy's, etc. if he goes public with his problems and says he's getting help? I'm curious to see how the media treats him...will the MSM give him a pass like they have done for so many liberal celebrities? Or will they "crucify" him? (Pun very much intended)

What "pass" have the MSM given "liberal" celebrities? All the main stream sites, magazines and papers I read gave all the above a hard time when the fucked up.

Dr Grump said:
What "pass" have the MSM given "liberal" celebrities? All the main stream sites, magazines and papers I read gave all the above a hard time when the fucked up.

They haven't. The difference is in how the right-wingers treat their own and dems... Remember how many threads there were on Patrick Kennedy for drunk driving?

But with Mel, it's all "who cares" or "oh well" or "he has a problem". Just sayin'. :rotflmao:

jillian said:
They haven't. The difference is in how the right-wingers treat their own and dems... Remember how many threads there were on Patrick Kennedy for drunk driving?

But with Mel, it's all "who cares" or "oh well" or "he has a problem". Just sayin'. :rotflmao:
U.S. Rep. vs Holywood celebrity. Hummm help me out here, J. Which one could effect my life? Should I care?

Mr. P said:
U.S. Rep. vs Holywood celebrity. Hummm help me out here, J. Which one could effect my life? Should I care?

Hollywood and Christian haters love to see an enemy of thiers screw up. Much like conservatives like seeing enemies of thiers screw up. The "leaders" of these " hate " movements are on step away from being terrorists. The propoganda to divide America has succeeded.

dilloduck said:
Hollywood and Christian haters love to see an enemy of thiers screw up. Much like conservatives like seeing enemies of thiers screw up. The "leaders" of these " hate " movements are on step away from being terrorists. The propoganda to divide America has succeeded.
No doubt there is a divide among some classes of Americans, but my money is on the rock solid Middle Americans that can see the BS for what it is, propaganda.

Mr. P said:
No doubt there is a divide among some classes of Americans, but my money is on the rock solid Middle Americans that can see the BS for what it is, propaganda.

Too bad we don't have a leader

Mr. P said:

I see the distinction, of course, but you think their reaction to, say, Al Franken had a problem would have been like their reaction to Patrick Kennedy or like the one they had to Mel and Rush?

I'm betting on the former.

jillian said:
I see the distinction, of course, but you think their reaction to, say, Al Franken had a problem would have been like their reaction to Patrick Kennedy or like the one they had to Mel and Rush?

I'm betting on the former.

Whats the difference? Both "sides" trash the hell out of the other side ? Are you saying when you do it, it's ok because you aren't a religious hypocrite?

Of course, both sides love to trash eachother. However...if you can't see the difference between the way the media handles it...then it might be best to end the conversation right now. No point arguing just to see ourselves type.

In general, the media loves to capitalize on any famous person's misfortune, mistakes, and bad decisions. Mostly because we, as a society, lap up these stories and beg for more. Liberal or Conservative, the media does not discriminate in covering the story.

I, however, often feel that the media HANDLES this coverage differently, depending upon how they feel about the person in question...and how they want them portrayed. Its fine if you disagree with that...its just an observation I have.

Gem said:
Of course, both sides love to trash eachother. However...if you can't see the difference between the way the media handles it...then it might be best to end the conversation right now. No point arguing just to see ourselves type.

In general, the media loves to capitalize on any famous person's misfortune, mistakes, and bad decisions. Mostly because we, as a society, lap up these stories and beg for more. Liberal or Conservative, the media does not discriminate in covering the story.

I, however, often feel that the media HANDLES this coverage differently, depending upon how they feel about the person in question...and how they want them portrayed. Its fine if you disagree with that...its just an observation I have.

The fact that ANYONE sees Mel Gibson as the epitome of a Chistian has always bewildered me.

-Cp said:
Mel's Apology:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060729/ap_en_ot/people_gibson

Mel Gibson issued a lengthy statement Saturday apologizing for his drunk driving arrest and saying he has battled alcoholism throughout his life.

The actor and "The Passion of the Christ" director also apologized for what he said were "despicable" statements he made to the deputies who arrested him early Friday on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu.

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested," he said in a statement issued by his publicist. "I disgraced myself and my family with my behavior and for that I am truly sorry. I have battled with the disease of alcoholism for all of my adult life and profoundly regret my horrific relapse."

He said he was taking "necessary steps to ensure my return to health."

Publicist Alan Nierob declined to elaborate beyond Gibson's statement, and sheriff's Sgt. Rich Erickson declined to respond, saying the case was still under investigation.

Gibson, 50, was arrested for investigation of driving under the influence of alcohol after deputies stopped his 2006 Lexus LS 430 for speeding at 2:36 a.m. Friday. Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore said deputies clocked him doing 87 mph in a 45 mph zone.

A breath test indicated Gibson's blood-alcohol level was 0.12 percent, Whitmore said. The legal limit in California is 0.08 percent.

The actor-director posted $5,000 bail and was released at 9:45 a.m.

Gibson also apologized Saturday for what he called "my belligerent behavior" when he was taken into custody.

"The arresting officer was just doing his job and I feel fortunate that I was apprehended before I caused injury to any other person," he said.

"I acted like a person completely out of control when I was arrested and said things that I do not believe to be true and which are despicable."

Nierob and sheriff's officials declined to discuss what Gibson said.

Gibson won a best-director Oscar for 1995's "Braveheart" and had a 2004 religious blockbuster with "The Passion of the Christ." He also starred in the "Lethal Weapon" and "Mad Max" films, "What Women Want" and "The Man Without a Face," among other movies.

0.12? GMAFB. That's not even two beers.:beer:

dilloduck said:
The fact that ANYONE sees Mel Gibson as the epitome of a Chistian has always bewildered me.

:stupid: But he has made himself into a Christian leader and made a lot of money on it as so many have before him.

Nuc said:
:stupid: But he has made himself into a Christian leader and made a lot of money on it as so many have before him.
No, he claimed to be a devout Catholic and made a Christian based film. There is a difference between 'Christian leaders' and many of the imams, education if nothing else.

Forum List

Back