`Megan Meier Cyberbullying Prevention Act'

I'm not sure this is a great thing as it could be taken to extremes. Honestly, about half the posters on USMB could be charged for cyberbullying under this bill. Think about it; am I wrong?

Whoever transmits in interstate or foreign commerce any communication, with the intent to coerce, intimidate, harass, or cause substantial emotional distress to a person, using electronic means to support severe, repeated, and hostile behavior, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both.
[/QUOTE]

a solution in search of a problem

I agree with Angel, it's a direct attack on the 1st Amend.. Don't give them an inch on this, they will take a mile ... probably more.

As for "bullying" ... people don't have to be online, nor do they have to read everything online. Real bullying is where there is no perceptible escape route, such as in a school where the students have no choice but to be there. I believe it's in the actual definition to.

I wonder if it is more like the hate crimes act where in and of itself, you don't charge people with it rather you add it on as an automatic 10 year sentence in very severe cases of cruelty to others but it has to be proven first to be a hate crime.

At least that is how I understood it.

Another piece of "knee jerk" legislation. One terrible incident happens, and they decide to make a whole law out of it. We just can't ever accept in our politically correct, overlawyered society that sometimes, "shit happens." Everything, our politicians announce, "must never happen".

But here's a secret. You can't prevent all bad things from happening. And you often make the situation worse by passing yet another law or rule.

Forum List

Back