Medvedev’s visit to the Middle East: aspiration to shape the destiny of the region

Casper

Sep 6, 2010
Russia intends to play a more active role not only in the peace process but also in shaping the destiny of the region as a whole, in cooperation with national and international actors, particularly the United States and Europe.

Valdaiclub.com interview with Mustapha Tlili, Founder and Director, Center for Dialogues: Islamic World-U.S.-The West New York University

Is, in your opinion, the upcoming visit of Russian President Dmitry Medvedev to Jordan and the Palestinian Territory on January 18-19 a sign that Russia pursues a more active policy in the Middle East?

The visit January 18-19 to the Middle East by the highest authority of the Russian State is, in my opinion, a clear sign that Russia intends to play a more active role not only in the peace process but also in shaping the destiny of the region as a whole, in cooperation with national and international actors, particularly the United States and Europe. Facing the challenges of transition, following the collapse of the U.S.S.R, Russia for a number of years effectively withdrew from the peace making arena, concentrating instead on rebuilding all domains of the national realm. Russian leaders may now feel confident that the country is strong enough to start playing an active role in Middle East affairs and that they can count on the means—economic, political, military—required to project such ambitions. The Middle East is a complex area, but Russia has elites formed during Soviet times who know and understand the region very well, probably better than most Western elites. This factor should prevent Russia from committing the mistakes made by the U.S. in invading Iraq, for instance. But only time will tell…

Full version of the interview was published on valdaiclub.com

In Jericho, Mr. Medvedev told reporters that Russia fully supported “the inalienable right of the Palestinian people to an independent, territorially contiguous and viable state with its capital in East Jerusalem.” He said Russia’s position “remains unchanged,” referring to the Soviet Union’s support for the Palestinian declaration of independence of 1988, which was issued by Yasir Arafat in Algiers.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/19/world/middleeast/19mideast.html?ref=middleeast

China, Brazil, India also do recognize the 1988 Declaration of Independence.
Hamas is regarded by Russia and China as elected representatives and there are official contacts.

You really think Russia cares about the Palestinians?

They care for power, simple mathematics of 7 Million Israelis against 300 Million Arabs and to a lesser degree non-Arab Muslims.
That the Americans are not good in mathematics we see in the year-to-year deficits in the budget and OECD PISA rankings.

I am glad to see Russia step up for the rights of the Palestinian people.

Because the U.S. has lost all clout and legitimacy concerning this issue.

I doubt that Russia really cares anything about the Palestinian people.

But they are astute enough to realize that mediating a "Peace" that is favorable to the Palestinian cause will reap huge political capital throughout the world.

Russia has several Muslim nations on it's borders this would go a long way towards luring them away from the U.S. sphere of influence and into the Russian camp.

I am glad to see Russia step up for the rights of the Palestinian people.

Because the U.S. has lost all clout and legitimacy concerning this issue.

But they are astute enough to realize that mediating a "Peace" that is favorable to the Palestinian cause will reap huge political capital throughout the world.

Russia has several Muslim nations on it's borders this would go a long way towards luring them away from the U.S. sphere of influence and into the Russian camp.

But how does a President visiting a country really change anything? plus Russias record with Muslims isn't great, look at Chechnya and the other Muslim countries in the caucaus, those countries have no love for Russia.

But how does a President visiting a country really change anything? plus Russias record with Muslims isn't great, look at Chechnya and the other Muslim countries in the caucaus, those countries have no love for Russia.
I agree, but those other countries are rarely in the news.

The worlds media is focused on the "Palestinian Issue."

Russia knows that by taking up the Palestinian cause they are befriending 1.5 billion Muslims and re-establishing their former position as a world leader.

When the U.S. says they are mediating a "Peace" between Israel and the Palestinians.

All muslims knows it's a joke because America is 100% behind Israel when I comes down to it.

I agree, but those other countries are rarely in the news.

The worlds media is focused on the "Palestinian Issue."

Russia knows that by taking up the Palestinian cause they are befriending 1.5 billion Muslims and re-establishing their former position as a world leader.

When the U.S. says they are mediating a "Peace" between Israel and the Palestinians.

All muslims knows it's a joke because America is 100% behind Israel when I comes down to it.

But if Russia is on the side of the Palestinians as you say, how does that help the negociations? isn't that doing the same thing as the US? I really don't believe Russia is a friend of Muslims, look at the Afghan invasion and the treatment of the countries in the Caucus, if Russia is helping the Palestinians its because they see something they can gain.

Forum List

Back