Medicare

SpidermanTuba

Rookie
May 7, 2004
New Orleans, Louisiana
How come Republicans have never proposed a bill to repeal medicare? Medicare is not in the Constitution. The Republicans held Congress for most of 6 years while Bush was in office, yet they didn't bother to do a single thing to rid America of this unconstitutional communist blight.

HYPOCRITES

Medicare, although a government run healthcare scheme, is a necessary program. It was designed for the infirmed, extremely poor and senior citizens.

The question we should be asking is this!!!
WHY CAN'T OBAMA CLEARLY DEMONSTRATE HIS COMMITMENT TO RIDDING THE PROGRAM OF IT'S ALLEGED 500 BILLION DOLLARS IN FRAUD INSTEAD OF STARTING ANOTHER GOVERNMENT RUN HEALTHCARE SYSTEM THAT WILL MULTIPLY THAT FRAUD 10 FOLD?

How come Republicans have never proposed a bill to repeal medicare? Medicare is not in the Constitution. The Republicans held Congress for most of 6 years while Bush was in office, yet they didn't bother to do a single thing to rid America of this unconstitutional communist blight.

HYPOCRITES

Actually, they introduced a bill earlier this year to get rid of it.

Medicare is very popular, its another "3rd-rail". Too bad the DC clowns can't figure out how to keep it solvent. That may be the GOP plan...let it go bankrupt.

FYI -medicare does not run a surplus, it is running shortages due to the unforseen nearly double digit increases yearly in healthcare the past 10+ years, but especially since the Medicare pill bill passed under the Bush Administration congress....

social security is NOT bank rupt, it is running surpluses, but not for too much longer...we peaked those surpluses for SS under Bush....all were used to pay for what income taxes should have payed....but SS has an iou for such and our gvt WILL pay the money back....they have to....

we begin to need this extra SS surplus money to pay for the added boomers, within the next decade....there is something like 25-30 years worth of SS surplus that will be used to pay for the senior's SS retirement until around 2035-2040 the last time i looked....

THEN, at that time SS will begin running short....

But if no reforms or tweaking is made towards SS, come 2040, we will be collecting enough SS STILL, to pay every senior's retirement promised, only at 75% of what they were promised....

Social Security never goes completely broke....

FYI -medicare does not run a surplus, it is running shortages due to the unforseen nearly double digit increases yearly in healthcare the past 10+ years, but especially since the Medicare pill bill passed under the Bush Administration congress....

social security is NOT bank rupt, it is running surpluses, but not for too much longer...we peaked those surpluses for SS under Bush....all were used to pay for what income taxes should have payed....but SS has an iou for such and our gvt WILL pay the money back....they have to....

we begin to need this extra SS surplus money to pay for the added boomers, within the next decade....there is something like 25-30 years worth of SS surplus that will be used to pay for the senior's SS retirement until around 2035-2040 the last time i looked....

But if no reforms or tweaking is made towards SS, come 2040, we will be collecting enough SS STILL, to pay every senior's retirement promised, only at 75% of what they were promised....

You are mistaken....Social Security AND Medicare both are running with ZERO dollars in their accounts. Money is collected from the people through payroll deductions and after benefits are paid out the leftover money is BORROWED by Congress and an I.O.U. in the form of a Treasury Bond is issued to Social Security and Medicare for that amount. Where the claim that both systems are broke is this. There will be MORE benefits paid out and less money collected as the workforce ages and retires. No taxes collected means a cut in benefits. Why, exactly do you think SSA has had to INCREASE the retirement age of all persons paying into the system with a birthday after 1960?

Last edited:

Actually, PP, Medicare has about 50-billion in fraud each year, so the 500-billion figure you mentioned has to be for a ten year period, as we now reckon the cost of programs. Still there is plenty of room there for improvement.

Care, the Pill-bill, is the first program to not only come in under estimated cost, but well under estimated cost and there is a reason; it's a good concept. It's a good thing. Medication can also keep seniors out of the hospital, if one needs more than human compassion to care for the chronic conditions and pain and suffering of the elderly and the poor.

Care is right, Social Security has always run a surplus, and that surplus money has been scraped off to finance general fund expenditures, and IOU's in the form of treasury bonds have been issued to back up that expenditure; the so called "lock-box."

Last edited:
medicare would be fine if the politicians paid back all the $$$ they stole from it

You mean like this fellow;

http://topics.nytimes.com/topics/reference/timestopics/people/s/richard_l_scott/index.html

Richard L. Scott is a rich, conservative investor, who built Columbia/HCA into the largest health care company in the world. His new group, Conservatives for Patients' Rights, is working against President Obama's plans to overhaul health care.

Mr. Scott is starring in his own rotation of advertisements criticizing Mr. Obama's not-fully-defined health care effort. ("Imagine waking up one day and all your medical decisions are made by a central, national board," he warns in a radio spot.) He has dispatched camera crews to other countries to document the perils of socialized medicine. Mr. Scott has said his sole policy interest is to see to it that whatever overhaul Mr. Obama and Congress consider does not move the country toward a socialized system and away from what he calls his four pillars of reform: "choice, competition, accountability and personal responsibility."

His group has hired a leading conservative public relations firm, CRC, well known for its work with Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, the group that attacked Senator John Kerry, Democrat of Massachusetts, during his presidential campaign.

Conservative health care activists, while glad to have a potential ally willing to spend $5 million out of his own pocket, are not fully embracing Mr. Scott, noting that he is entering a changed landscape in which some Republicans and industry groups that opposed President Bill Clinton's health care proposals now view some form of change as necessary and inevitable.

The former chief of Columbia/HCA, Mr. Scott was ousted by his own board of directors in 1997 amid the nation's biggest health care fraud scandal. The company's guilty plea and payment of $1.7 billion to settle charges including the overbilling of state and federal health programs was taken as a repudiation of Mr. Scott's relentless bottom-line approach. Though he was not directly implicated in the fraud scandal -- with whistle-blower suits filed against some hospitals before his acquisition of them -- critics said his drive for profits had created incentive for fraud.

Actually, PP, Medicare has about 50-billion in fraud each year, so the 500-billion figure you mentioned has to be for a ten year period, as we now reckon the cost of programs. Still there is plenty of room there for improvement.

Care, the Pill-bill, is the first program to not only come in under estimated cost, but well under estimated cost and there is a reason; it's a good concept. It's a good thing. Medication can also keep seniors out of the hospital, if one needs more than human compassion to care for the chronic conditions and pain and suffering of the elderly and the poor.

Care is right, Social Security has always run a surplus, and that surplus money has been scraped off to finance general fund expenditures, and IOU's in the form of treasury bonds have been issued to back up that expenditure; the so called "lock-box."

Right...but what about the rest of the picture.....in 2017 the benefits paid out will exceed revenues collected. When this happens there will be no more IOU's. Then as bonds mature and are paid into SS the surplus begins to dwindle away and we have another HUGE entitlement program operating with a deficit problem. You can say what you want but when Congress empties your bank account and gives you a piece of paper thats, for the most part, worthless without a workforce I would say you aren't operating with a surplus.

Right...but what about the rest of the picture.....in 2017 the benefits paid out will exceed revenues collected. When this happens there will be no more IOU's. Then as bonds mature and are paid into SS the surplus begins to dwindle away and we have another HUGE entitlement program operating with a deficit problem. You can say what you want but when Congress empties your bank account and gives you a piece of paper thats, for the most part, worthless without a workforce I would say you aren't operating with a surplus.

That was the crux of the national "conversation" President Bush attempted to start at the beginning of his first term; a partial privatization of SS. It was to be one sixth I believe, and over time people would've been weaned off the SS program. Forty years ago (when I was 28) I would've traded my SS for a private program, and the part of my money I put away back then has done quite well. By twenty years ago, I was much less willing to go private, with too few years left to grow private funds. But, now, like others, I have now paid in 50+ years, and I regard it as a low yield pension plan, with an expectation collecting until but of continuing working until I die.

Change has to begin with people with long working lives ahead of them, and Bush was bold for even bringing it up. It's a sad state of affairs that we can't have honest and forthright debates about such important issues. Another way of solving such problems is to create something much larger so that the current problems can be folded into the new "thing" with a new paradigm for a solution. For instance the new health-care plan, will no doubt take care of part of the problem by "offing" the old thereby reducing deficits in SS and Medicare, and that, indeed is a part, nay... the best part of the plan.

Last edited:

That was the crux of the conversation President Bush attempted to start at the beginning of his first term; a partial privatization of SS. It was to be one sixth I believe, and over time people would've been weaned off the SS program. Forty years ago (when I was 28) I would've traded my SS for a private program, and the part of my money I put away back then has done quite well. By twenty years ago, I was much less willing to go private, with too few years left to grow private funds. But, now, like others, I have now paid in 50+ years, and I regard it as a low yield pension plan, with an expectation collecting until but of continuing working until I die.

Change has to begin with people with long working lives ahead of them, and Bush was bold for even bringing it up. It's a sad state of affairs that we can't have honest and forthright debates about such important issues. Another way of solving such problems is to create something much larger so that the current problems can be folded into the new "thing" with a new paradigm for a solution. For instance the new health-care plan, will no doubt take care of part of the problem by "offing" the old thereby reducing deficits in SS and Medicare, and that, indeed is a part, nay... the best part of the plan.
[/QUOTE]
I beg to differ my good man......how are you reducing a deficit by starting another 1 trillion dollar plus entitlement program? Shouldn't we fix what we have now? Shouldn't Obama demonstrate to the American people that he can tackle the fraud and current deficits first? Demonstrate fiscal responsibility? I would be more apt to support him in his healthcare initiatives if he would just show us that he actually cares about this country and not just himself and how he looks to everyone else.

That was the crux of the conversation President Bush attempted to start at the beginning of his first term; a partial privatization of SS. It was to be one sixth I believe, and over time people would've been weaned off the SS program. Forty years ago (when I was 28) I would've traded my SS for a private program, and the part of my money I put away back then has done quite well. By twenty years ago, I was much less willing to go private, with too few years left to grow private funds. But, now, like others, I have now paid in 50+ years, and I regard it as a low yield pension plan, with an expectation collecting until but of continuing working until I die.

I beg to differ my good man......how are you reducing a deficit by starting another 1 trillion dollar plus entitlement program? Shouldn't we fix what we have now? Shouldn't Obama demonstrate to the American people that he can tackle the fraud and current deficits first? Demonstrate fiscal responsibility? I would be more apt to support him in his healthcare initiatives if he would just show us that he actually cares about this country and not just himself and how he looks to everyone else.

PP, I'm not saying that would be a good plan, but it actuially is a viable one for solving the first problem (SS and Medicare) and we do agree on the rest of your statement.

But creating a new "project" (so large that the other is small in comparison) and folding the previous one (the two aforementioned) into the new huge project is a time tested method of eliminating a problem for which there seems to be no other solution... ad infinitum, ad absurdum. This is only partly tongue in cheek... because we both agree that is but a temporary solution, creating a different set of problems and dilemmas for the future.

The fact is, it seems that Bush offered the only option, because we are not going to dissolve SS, and seem unwilling to police Medicare. But, if we were willing, we could begin to control the fraud and theft in Medicare. It's interesting that the Insurance companies manage to get by with only a 2.2% profit margin, all the while pretty much eliminating fraud in the part they do handle. They provide the only discipline being applied to that whole mess. Getting them out of the game, as the healthcare-reform plan will do, will only make the whole thing less disciplined except for the one thing they (the govt) will focus on: limiting healthcare benefits to the sick, because they are the only cost factor they will willingly focus on. It will be "rationing" by another name.

Last edited:
True...but a if you have 2 programs running billions of dollars in the red and place them into one huge program you still have a net loss. What I'm driving at is we are going to see significant tax hikes across the income spectrum.

True...but a if you have 2 programs running billions of dollars in the red and place them into one huge program you still have a net loss. What I'm driving at is we are going to see significant tax hikes across the income spectrum.
...and ultimately: FAILURE! The only solution that will work is a free market solution. The small part that the free market is involved in the Part-D prescription drug benefit - twenty five percent - has made that plan come in below CBO cost estimates. And our friends the liberals don't like it, indeed hate it, maily because the drug companies and the insurance companies are getting paid for and making a profit for producing products that in their world "should be free"

Last edited:
...and ultimately: FAILURE! The only solution that will work is a free market solution. The small part that the free market is involved in the Part-D prescription drug benefit - twenty five percent - has made that plan come in below CBO cost estimates. And our friends the liberals don't like it, indeed hate it, maily because the drug companies and the insurance companies are getting paid for and making a profit for producing products that in their world "should be free"

Gotta have a boogey man in there somewhere!!:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back