Medicare is USA's Golden standard of public health care

Supposn

Gold Member
Jul 26, 2009
This begasn with an inquiry to the U.S. Centers of Medical Services, (CMS) headquartered in Baltimore Maryland, as to Medicare part B health care providers’ compensation. That is the portion of Medicare that patients ELECT to pay for insuring 4/5ths of their doctor bills.
We can suppose the compliance officer that replied has much more to do rather than answering my questions but informing citizens of how their government operates is not of insignificant value. I’m posting this letter wherever I can so we all receive the most value for his government paid time.
I'm not very familiar with other nations' public health services. The letter he wrote helps explain why I believe that until we can devise something superior, Medicare is the USA’s golden standard for the delivery of public medical services.

Respectfully, Supposn

“This is in response to your inquiry concerning how Medicare Part B and the Medicare HMO program reimburse providers.
Payment to physicians and other individual health care providers are made in accordance with a prospective fee schedule that is updated every year. Each service that is provided has a predetermined value, referred to as a Relative Value Unit (RVU). While the RVU for the service is the same throughout the country, a geographic adjustment is made in order to account for the differences in the cost of living. This cost of living adjustment is called the Geographic Price Cost Index (GPCI). The country is divided into 89 localities and each one has a different GPCI value that is used to determine the actual Medicare allowed charge for the service.
The Medicare program does allow payment for specific preventative medical and screening procedures that have proven to be worthwhile to insure the health of beneficiaries. These services include screening mammography and pap smears, diabetes training, glaucoma screening, prostrate screening, bone mass measurement, flu, pneumonia and hepatitis B inoculations and the initial Welcome to Medicare screening examination.
Physicians and other health care providers have the option to either participate in Medicare or be a non-participating provider. If one participates, they will be reimbursed based upon 100% of the fee schedule amount. As part of the participation agreement, they must accept the Medicare fee as payment in full which means in most circumstances, they can only bill the beneficiary for the applicable co-insurance (usually 20%) and any outstanding annual deductible. A non-participating provider is paid at 95% of the Medicare allowed amount but can charge the beneficiary up to an additional 15% above the Medicare fee. While this might appear to be more advantageous to be a non-participating provider, Medicare provides additional services to participating providers including direct payment from Medicare, automatic cross-over to secondary insurers and individual listing in the Medicare directory. These additional incentives have resulted in the Medicare participation rate to be over 95% of all providers in the country.

In regard to HMO services, Medicare pays each contracted Medicare Advantage plan a monthly capitation rate, or set amount, for each Medicare enrolled member. The rates are actuarially developed using a wide number of factors including historical expenditures under Part A and B, age, disability, and various other risk-adjustment variables. The rates are not determined by whether an individual Medicare Advantage plan has profit or non-profit status. Rates are adjusted periodically to reflect changes in costs and data corrections to account for prior year estimates.

I hope this explanation satisfactorily answers your inquiry. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at the listed office address; (U.S. Division of Financial Management & Fee for Service, Operations & Integrity Branch, 26 Federal Plaza, room 38-130, NY, NY, 10278).
Sincerely, Steven Lisker, Compliance Officer”.

I’m an advocate of government administered basic healthcare insurance. My second choice would be government subsidizing all qualified primary basic healthcare insurance.

The term qualifying is critical. Health insurance contracts and insuring entities are not a homogenous group with attributes of equal merit. You cannot reasonably compare insurance costs without also considering what the contract covers, will the insurer fully comply with the contracts (they write) and do their contracts promise reasonably adequate insurance.

The federal government’s Central Medicare & Medicaid Services, (CMS) is a superior administrator of medical insurance services and its clients receive q services that are certainly competitive or superior to any other healthcare insurer providing services to all but boutique sized or extremely geographically limited or greatly comprised of “cherry picked" clients and patients.

If in the future we cannot achieve entitlement of federal healthcare for all legal U.S. residents, my second choice would be government subsidizing all qualified primary basic healthcare insurance.

I’m also an advocate of a federal sales tax to fund net federal healthcare costs.

Respectfully, Supposn

I’m opposed to employers bring legally mandated to pay for their employees healthcare insurance. Such a government mandate is unnecessary intervention within what should be for the most part a non-government relationship. Such a mandates are not likely to induce universal seamless insurance coverage for all legal USA residents.

It is less feasible and practical for laws to mandate individuals be required, (if they or their guardian are deemed to be financially capable) to pay for their own uninterrupted healthcare insurance. The courts may conceivably find such a mandate illegal.

On the other hand any lapse of healthcare coverage exposes the individual to serious financial risk. When it’s impossible for the individual to cover the risk, it becomes a public burden upon taxpayers. That’s the problem integral to dependence upon individuals’ making direct payments for their individual basic healthcare insurance contracts.

A single payer method’s practical and absolutely legal. All individuals' contributions to their basic healthcare insurance can be funded through taxation. I’m an advocate of a federal sales tax to fund all net federal healthcare expenses.

Respectfully, Supposn

This is trillions better than ObamaCare/Medicare

John Mackey: The Whole Foods Alternative to ObamaCare - WSJ.com

• Equalize the tax laws so that employer-provided health insurance and individually owned health insurance have the same tax benefits. Now employer health insurance benefits are fully tax deductible, but individual health insurance is not. This is unfair.

•  Repeal all state laws which prevent insurance companies from competing across state lines. We should all have the legal right to purchase health insurance from any insurance company in any state and we should be able use that insurance wherever we live. Health insurance should be portable.

• Repeal government mandates regarding what insurance companies must cover. These mandates have increased the cost of health insurance by billions of dollars. What is insured and what is not insured should be determined by individual customer preferences and not through special-interest lobbying.

• Enact tort reform to end the ruinous lawsuits that force doctors to pay insurance costs of hundreds of thousands of dollars per year. These costs are passed back to us through much higher prices for health care.

• Make costs transparent so that consumers understand what health-care treatments cost. How many people know the total cost of their last doctor's visit and how that total breaks down? What other goods or services do we buy without knowing how much they will cost us?

• Enact Medicare reform. We need to face up to the actuarial fact that Medicare is heading towards bankruptcy and enact reforms that create greater patient empowerment, choice and responsibility.

• Finally, revise tax forms to make it easier for individuals to make a voluntary, tax-deductible donation to help the millions of people who have no insurance and aren't covered by Medicare, Medicaid or the State Children's Health Insurance Program.

This begasn with an inquiry to the U.S. Centers of Medical Services, (CMS) headquartered in Baltimore Maryland, as to Medicare part B health care providers’ compensation. That is the portion of Medicare that patients ELECT to pay for insuring 4/5ths of their doctor bills.
We can suppose the compliance officer that replied has much more to do rather than answering my questions but informing citizens of how their government operates is not of insignificant value. I’m posting this letter wherever I can so we all receive the most value for his government paid time.
I'm not very familiar with other nations' public health services. The letter he wrote helps explain why I believe that until we can devise something superior, Medicare is the USA’s golden standard for the delivery of public medical services.
Respectfully, Supposn

“This is in response to your inquiry concerning how Medicare Part B and the Medicare HMO program reimburse providers.
Payment to physicians and other individual health care providers are made in accordance with a prospective fee schedule that is updated every year. Each service that is provided has a predetermined value, referred to as a Relative Value Unit (RVU). While the RVU for the service is the same throughout the country, a geographic adjustment is made in order to account for the differences in the cost of living. This cost of living adjustment is called the Geographic Price Cost Index (GPCI). The country is divided into 89 localities and each one has a different GPCI value that is used to determine the actual Medicare allowed charge for the service.
The Medicare program does allow payment for specific preventative medical and screening procedures that have proven to be worthwhile to insure the health of beneficiaries. These services include screening mammography and pap smears, diabetes training, glaucoma screening, prostrate screening, bone mass measurement, flu, pneumonia and hepatitis B inoculations and the initial Welcome to Medicare screening examination.
Physicians and other health care providers have the option to either participate in Medicare or be a non-participating provider. If one participates, they will be reimbursed based upon 100% of the fee schedule amount. As part of the participation agreement, they must accept the Medicare fee as payment in full which means in most circumstances, they can only bill the beneficiary for the applicable co-insurance (usually 20%) and any outstanding annual deductible. A non-participating provider is paid at 95% of the Medicare allowed amount but can charge the beneficiary up to an additional 15% above the Medicare fee. While this might appear to be more advantageous to be a non-participating provider, Medicare provides additional services to participating providers including direct payment from Medicare, automatic cross-over to secondary insurers and individual listing in the Medicare directory. These additional incentives have resulted in the Medicare participation rate to be over 95% of all providers in the country.

In regard to HMO services, Medicare pays each contracted Medicare Advantage plan a monthly capitation rate, or set amount, for each Medicare enrolled member. The rates are actuarially developed using a wide number of factors including historical expenditures under Part A and B, age, disability, and various other risk-adjustment variables. The rates are not determined by whether an individual Medicare Advantage plan has profit or non-profit status. Rates are adjusted periodically to reflect changes in costs and data corrections to account for prior year estimates.

I hope this explanation satisfactorily answers your inquiry. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at the listed office address; (U.S. Division of Financial Management & Fee for Service, Operations & Integrity Branch, 26 Federal Plaza, room 38-130, NY, NY, 10278).
Sincerely, Steven Lisker, Compliance Officer”.

Golden standard? Just how much in the red is Medicare? :eusa_whistle:

Indeed. If Medicare is the Gold Standard, it must be Fool's Gold.

...................... The federal government’s Central Medicare & Medicaid Services, (CMS) is a superior administrator of medical insurance services and its clients receive q services that are certainly competitive or superior to any other healthcare insurer providing services to all but boutique sized or extremely geographically limited or greatly comprised of “cherry picked" clients and patients. ,,,,,,,
.................... I’m also an advocate of a federal sales tax to fund net federal healthcare costs.
Meister,
. . . the tone of your simple direct response, (“Golden standard? Just how much in the red is Medicare? “), leads me to suppose you’re unlikely to agree with the point of my message #2. I look forward to reading your criticisms of my position.

I regret that the Democratic Party lacks the courage and integrity to properly fund Medicare: We’re a nation of two major political parties. One leads in the wrong direction and the other has no explicit direction and cannot lead.

Respectfully, Supposn

Meister,
. . . I participate in the discussion thread “Health Plans Must Provide Some Preventive Tests at No Cost“ that's posted on the economic forum board.

With regard to the not yet enacted laws mandating that middle and large scale employers provide healthcare insurance plans for their employees, Rabbi wrote:
. . . *Once employers think they can get away with dumping the liability on the government they will do so. Especially in a recession when there are many qualified workers for those jobs”. I agree with that analysis.

Respectfully, Supposn

................... The federal government’s Central Medicare & Medicaid Services, (CMS) is a superior administrator of medical insurance services and its clients receive q services that are certainly competitive or superior to any other healthcare insurer providing services to all but boutique sized or extremely geographically limited or greatly comprised of “cherry picked" clients and patients.

If in the future we cannot achieve entitlement of federal healthcare for all legal U.S. residents, my second choice would be government subsidizing all qualified primary basic healthcare insurance.

I’m also an advocate of a federal sales tax to fund net federal healthcare costs.

Respectfully, Supposn

Dude,
. . . you’ve chosen an incorrect label. It is certainly not “socialized medicine”. I would hope that it will finally evolve to be socialized or at least federally subsidized basic primary healthcare insurance.

Respectfully, Supposn

Crusader frank, you posted a long list and many of the items are worthy of treatment as full sub-topics or full stand alone discussion topics. It’s less feasible to address them as single grand consolidation or multiple groups within individual messages.

I’m not evading you but I’ll need some time to answer your message. Similar to most other and probably yourself, I too have another life beyond these discussion boards.

Respectfully, Supposn

Meister,
. . . I participate in the discussion thread “Health Plans Must Provide Some Preventive Tests at No Cost“ that's posted on the economic forum board.

With regard to the not yet enacted laws mandating that middle and large scale employers provide healthcare insurance plans for their employees, Rabbi wrote:
. . . *Once employers think they can get away with dumping the liability on the government they will do so. Especially in a recession when there are many qualified workers for those jobs”. I agree with that analysis.

Respectfully, Supposn

First....thanks for deflecting on Medicare's debt....good job at that. Next...I see you haven't lived long enough to really understand that everything has a cost. You like socialized medicine...I get it.....but it will come at a major cost...one we won't be able to afford in the end, just like all the other countries that have it.

repectfully, meister

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: 007
This is trillions better than ObamaCare/Medicare

John Mackey: The Whole Foods Alternative to ObamaCare - WSJ.com

• Equalize the tax laws so that employer-provided health insurance and individually owned health insurance have the same tax benefits. Now employer health insurance benefits are fully tax deductible, but individual health insurance is not. This is unfair.

•  Repeal all state laws which prevent insurance companies from competing across state lines. We should all have the legal right to purchase health insurance from any insurance company in any state and we should be able use that insurance wherever we live. Health insurance should be portable.

............................QUOTE]

Crusader Frank, I'll conitue to write and post when I can.

Equitable tax regulations are important and are of particularly importance to a democratic nation. There should be no special strokes for special folks. This issue is not limited to healthcare insurance. I’ve just posted a discussion of this on the economics board. Refer to the thread “The capital gains tax discount is unjustified”.

///////////////////////////////////

I’m opposed to laws granting the insurance industry immunity from federal ant-trust laws. State governments do not and may not prevent an insurer from establishing a presence and conducting business within their jurisdiction but they can and do require companies to comply with their state minimum standards.

Unfortunately some legislators want to go further. An insurer can designate location as their national headquarters. States now differ as to minimal standards and requirements for medical insurance plans sold within their states. Some advocate overturning states jurisdictions and permitting insurers to nationally sell policies based upon their headquarter state’s minimally protective insurance standards.

Resprctfully, Supposn

First....thanks for deflecting on Medicare's debt....good job at that. Next...I see you haven't lived long enough to really understand that everything has a cost. You like socialized medicine...I get it.....but it will come at a major cost...one we won't be able to afford in the end, just like all the other countries that have it.
repectfully, meister

Meister, I thought I was writing specifically and explicitly?
I advocate a federal sales tax to fund net federal healthcare insurance expenses.

[This isn’t a discussion that directly deals with medical providers themselves but I’m not an advocate of socialized medicine. I am advocate of federal funding for the purposes of medical education and research.

For many decades some legislators, particularly those from less densely populated states and rural congressional districts have been lobbying for some federal subsidy for districts that lack adequate medical facilities. Our nation has in the past subsidized rural, post office delivery and rural electrification. Both have been beneficial to our nation’s economic and social welfare. I favorably consider rural populations access to medical care as worthy of federal assistance].

I’m an advocate of socialized basic primary healthcare insurance for all of USA’s legal residents. I wouldn’t be dissatisfied with federal subsidy of qualified basic primary healthcare insurance contracts.

I iterate that (with the exception of the providing of healthcare itself), I’ve specifically and explicitly have written of all these health insurance topics within my previous messages.

Respectfully, Supposn

Forum List

Back