Medicare fines over hospitals' readmitted patients (ObamaCare Kick In)

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Medicare fines over hospitals' readmitted patients (ObamaCare Kick In)
Google AP ^ | Sept 30, 2012 | RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR

WASHINGTON (AP) — If you or an elderly relative have been hospitalized recently and noticed extra attention when the time came to be discharged, there's more to it than good customer service.

As of Monday, Medicare will start fining hospitals that have too many patients readmitted within 30 days of discharge due to complications. The penalties are part of a broader push under President Barack Obama's health care law to improve quality while also trying to save taxpayers money.

About two-thirds of the hospitals serving Medicare patients, or some 2,200 facilities, will be hit with penalties averaging around $125,000 per facility this coming year, according to government estimates.

Data to assess the penalties have been collected and crunched, and Medicare has shared the results with individual hospitals. Medicare plans to post details online later in October, and people can look up how their community hospitals performed by using the agency's "Hospital Compare" website.

It adds up to a new way of doing business for hospitals,

Still, industry officials say they have misgivings about being held liable for circumstances beyond their control. They also complain that facilities serving low-income people, including many major teaching hospitals, are much more likely to be fined, raising questions of fairness.

"Readmissions are partially within the control of the hospital and partially within the control of others," Foster said.

-snip-

Under the health care law, the penalties gradually will rise until 3 percent of Medicare payments to hospitals are at risk. Medicare is considering holding hospitals accountable on four more measures: joint replacements, stenting, heart bypass and treatment of stroke.

-snip-

Under Obama's health care overhaul, Medicare is pursuing efforts to try to improve quality and lower costs. They include rewarding hospitals for quality results, and encouraging hospitals, nursing homes and medical practice groups to join

The Associated Press: Medicare fines over hospitals' readmitted patients

Obongo care sucks!

Hummmmm re-admit a patient who may have had complications or face a 125,000 dollar fine? Me thinks this may have some hospitals refusing to admit a patient for fear of a fine...

Complications are not always the result of the hospital or doctor, I wonder how they will decide and how much money such an investigation will cost the taxpayer?

Grandma's surgical wound got infected because she did not follow directions and needed to be readmitted for a fever then treatment at a later date because she got sicker. So now we need to investigate each incident?

those Medicare patients are sure becoming more and more popular with the doctors and hospitals....considering the cuts to Medicare reimbursements and now this.....:rolleyes:

Obama is sure looking out for the seniors.....:eusa_hand:

And hospitals become just a bit more accountable for the quality of the care they provide.

Many of the hospitals being penalized say they have already launched efforts to reduce their readmissions.

In Western Pennsylvania, an official at UPMC’s McKeesport hospital told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that it has begun placing nurse practitioners in nursing homes where many of its elderly patients are discharged. Readmissions have dropped by 40 percent since the effort began 18 months ago, but Medicare’s penalty of 0.68 percent is based on its readmission rates for the three years ending in June 2011, so any improvements weren’t factored in to the penalty calculation.

In Southwest Florida, Lee Memorial Health System told the News-Press that it used electronic monitoring to keep taps on its sicker patients who had returned home. Patients also receive follow-up calls from staffers and even physician house calls to avoid them returning to the hospital. The hospital will receive a 0.11 percent penalty.

medpac-readmission-rates-300.png

CaféAuLait;6083347 said:
Hummmmm re-admit a patient who may have had complications or face a 125,000 dollar fine? Me thinks this may have some hospitals refusing to admit a patient for fear of a fine...

Complications are not always the result of the hospital or doctor, I wonder how they will decide and how much money such an investigation will cost the taxpayer?

Grandma's surgical wound got infected because she did not follow directions and needed to be readmitted for a fever then treatment at a later date because she got sicker. So now we need to investigate each incident?

That is the first thing I thought of. I have seen patients on antibiotics continue drinking heavily or they just don't take their medicine or follow instructions.

I think doctors will be afraid to take on new patients for fear they can't control all things regarding their health. Or patients will have longer hospital stays since the doctor will want the patient further along with recovery to reduce the chance of complications.

It never ends well when non-medical people try to call the shots with healthcare or impose penalties by guessing whose fault it is when something goes wrong.

No one can control everything and complications are often expected after a serious illness or surgery. I've had family members who were re-admitted after a serious illness, but the time they got at home helped their emotional state and there was no need to run up a huge bill in between. Complications can happen in hospitals, too, and it's just not reasonable in most cases to keep people indefinitely until they have a clean bill of health. That is why we have home health care for people so they can be in the comfort of their own home and still be under some medical care to watch for problems.

I think doctors will be afraid to take on new patients for fear they can't control all things regarding their health. Or patients will have longer hospital stays since the doctor will want the patient further along with recovery to reduce the chance of complications.

It never ends well when non-medical people try to call the shots with healthcare or impose penalties by guessing whose fault it is when something goes wrong.

a recent Doctor Patient Medical Association poll found that 74% of doctors say they will stop accepting Medicare patients or will leave Medicare entirely because of Obamacare

How Obamacare hurts seniors* - New York Daily News

a recent Doctor Patient Medical Association poll found that 74% of doctors say they will stop accepting Medicare patients or will leave Medicare entirely because of Obamacare

Lets see how long THAT lasts.

:lol:

Non-medical people? Reforms to Medicare, including this one, are suggested by the Medicare Payment Advisory Commission, a group of doctors and health system experts. Here's their current membership: Commission Members (yes, some run/have run health systems and hospitals).

They had a whole chapter on readmissions in their June 2007 Report to Congress. More immediately, here's what they had to say in April 2009, right around the time this law was being written:

Readmissions

The Commission recommends changing payment to hold providers financially accountable for service use around a hospitalization episode. Specifically, it would reduce payment to hospitals with relatively high readmission rates for select conditions. Conditions with high volume and high readmissions rates may be good candidates for selection. Focusing on rates rather than numbers of readmissions serves to penalize hospitals that consistently perform worse than other hospitals, rather than those that treat sicker patients. The Commission recommends that this payment change be made in tandem with a previously recommended change in law (often referred to as gainsharing or shared accountability) to allow hospitals and physicians to share in the savings that result from re-engineering inefficient care processes during the episode of care.

Currently, Medicare pays for all admissions based on the patient’s diagnosis regardless of whether it is an initial stay or a readmission for the same or a related condition. This is a concern because we know that some readmissions are avoidable and in fact are a sign of poor care or a missed opportunity to better coordinate care.

Penalizing high rates of readmissions encourages providers to do the kinds of things that lead to good care, but are not reliably done now. For example, the kinds of strategies that appear to reduce avoidable readmissions include preventing adverse events during the admission, reviewing each patient’s medications at discharge for appropriateness, and communicating more clearly with beneficiaries about their self-care at discharge. In addition, hospitals, working with physicians, can better communicate with providers caring for patients after discharge and help facilitate patients’ follow-up care.

Spending on readmissions is considerable. We have found that Medicare spends $15 billion on all-cause readmissions and $12 billion if we exclude certain readmissions (for example, those that were planned or for situations such as unrelated traumatic events occurring after discharge). Of this $12 billion, some is spent on readmissions that were avoidable and some on readmissions that were not. To target policy to avoidable readmissions, Medicare could compare hospitals’ rates of potentially preventable readmissions and penalize those with high rates. The savings from this policy would be determined by where the benchmark that defines a high rate is set, the size of the penalty, the number and type of conditions selected, and the responsiveness of providers.

The Commission recognizes that hospitals need physician cooperation in making practice changes that lead to a lower readmission rate. Therefore, hospitals should be permitted to financially reward physicians for helping to reduce readmission rates. Sharing in the financial rewards or cost savings associated with re-engineering clinical care in the hospital is called gainsharing or shared accountability. Allowing hospitals this flexibility in aligning incentives could help them make the goal of reducing unnecessary readmissions a joint one between hospitals and physicians. As discussed in a 2005 MedPAC report to the Congress, shared accountability arrangements should be subject to safeguards to minimize the undesirable incentives potentially associated with these arrangements. For example, physicians who participate should not be rewarded for increasing referrals, stinting on care, or reducing quality.

Guess who was listening? Congress.

Laws like this should indeed be written with the recommendations of those who understand the health system best in mind. That's why it's nice to know this one was.

Last edited:
And hospitals become just a bit more accountable for the quality of the care they provide.

Many of the hospitals being penalized say they have already launched efforts to reduce their readmissions.

In Western Pennsylvania, an official at UPMC’s McKeesport hospital told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review that it has begun placing nurse practitioners in nursing homes where many of its elderly patients are discharged. Readmissions have dropped by 40 percent since the effort began 18 months ago, but Medicare’s penalty of 0.68 percent is based on its readmission rates for the three years ending in June 2011, so any improvements weren’t factored in to the penalty calculation.

In Southwest Florida, Lee Memorial Health System told the News-Press that it used electronic monitoring to keep taps on its sicker patients who had returned home. Patients also receive follow-up calls from staffers and even physician house calls to avoid them returning to the hospital. The hospital will receive a 0.11 percent penalty.

medpac-readmission-rates-300.png

Follow up care is good,but It will be an added expense,who will pay??

You think the hospital will eat the additional costs?

Follow up care is good,but It will be an added expense,who will pay??

You think the hospital will eat the additional costs?

The way hospitals are being paid is starting to change. The model in which hospitals generate revenue off an endless stream of widgets (including unnecessary and preventable readmissions) is in the preliminary stages of shifting toward models that reward them for doing a better job. That means when they provide the supports vulnerable folks need immediately after discharge, to prevent them from winding right back up in the hospital, they'll do better financially. As opposed to the current model, in which the hospital does better financially if that person ends up back in the hospital a week later. See the examples of what some hospitals are doing to deal with these financial penalties I've already posted above, e.g. using nurse practitioners placements to make sure folks weather the discharge well.

It's actually exactly in line with part of the MedPAC recommendation I just quoted:
The Commission recommends that this payment change be made in tandem with a previously recommended change in law (often referred to as gainsharing or shared accountability) to allow hospitals and physicians to share in the savings that result from re-engineering inefficient care processes during the episode of care.

These things are meant to work together precisely because they reflect a new approach to health care delivery that actually focuses on the quality of care the patient gets.

Last edited:
The additional cost will be passed to non-medicare patients.

But what concerns me is Maobamacare passed Dec 2009, how can they hold these folks to standards that were not in effect on 1 Jul 2008 which would be the start of the three year period? Only in communist America I guess.

I pray this doesn't destroy our innovativeness within the medical area. I'd love to be able to see a cure for Cancer, Heart Disease within the next 20-30 years.

We have to not only make it affordable for people, but also keep up our leading edge. This isn't a simple thing.

It would be a shame if that want away.

People only get readmitted because they were not properly treated in the first place. Perhaps this will force hospitals to treat their patients, instead of sending them off with a pack of painkillers.

I pray this doesn't destroy our innovativeness within the medical area. I'd love to be able to see a cure for Cancer, Heart Disease within the next 20-30 years.

This kind of change is going to impact innovation for the better. Hospitals are finding ways now to extend their reach beyond the physical walls of the hospital, with the understanding that they're responsible for your health and the quality of the product they provide. They can't just check the box that they gave folks this or that widget and then boot them out the door.

If readmissions can be prevented and complications avoided, that's on them and this is going to (and, as I've said, in many places already is) incentivize them to find innovative ways to help Medicare patients avoid complications in that first 30-days after discharge. That's a good thing.

The additional cost will be passed to non-medicare patients.

But what concerns me is Maobamacare passed Dec 2009, how can they hold these folks to standards that were not in effect on 1 Jul 2008 which would be the start of the three year period? Only in communist America I guess.

No it won't.

My doctor did. He's on leave until after the election. Then he will decide whether or not to return to his practice. His practice is being kept open by floater doctors who come and fill in two afternoons a week.

CaféAuLait;6083347 said:

Of course they will refuse to readmit patients. They are fined no matter what the reason. If someone is wise, they just won't go back to the hospital where they got their treatment. Go to a different hospital. Not only will hospitals refuse to admit patients, but they will be forced to transfer patients to recovery centers to ease overcrowding. Good luck on the level of care there.

Forum List

Back