Medicare and you

Arianrhod

Gold Member
Jul 24, 2015
Any number of you have been very clear that you personally don’t need no stinkin’ health insurance. The initial impression would be that you’re all young, healthy, and single.

Then you tell us that you’re older than that, and you assume you’re healthy because you never see a doctor. Some have even claimed to have spouses and children but still no health insurance because, you believe, you’d be able to pay for any serious accident or illness out of pocket.

Which leads me to wonder how you feel about Medicare in terms of your parents and/or grandparents. A couple of you have indicated your intention to refuse to apply for Medicare yourself once you turn 65, but what would happen to your older family members if Medicare disappeared?

Do you believe you could provide care for your extended family on your own?

Just curious.

Almost 24 hours without a reply?

Is this a case of "I never thought about my family in terms of Medicare. You're making me think - how dare you?" or "My family's so wealthy we can keep Grandma in a mansion with nursing care 24/7 even if she lives to be 100" or "Nobody likes Grandpa, anyway. If he gets sick, we'll just abandon him in the woods"?

I'm going to go with "I never thought about it. I don't want to think about it. All I care about is me, ME, MEEEEEE!"

Unless at least one of you tells me otherwise.

Let's aee if U cab abswee this for you......

I'm 42 years ild with multiple medical conditions. My wife is 35 with even more medical issues. Before we got narried she was on Medicare. She now falls under my employer-sponsored gealth insurance. Her care now is remarkably better thab wgeb she was dealing wirh Medicare. Yes, we pay more for it and have copays, but we're fune with that.

IF I naje ut to 65 I will decline Medicare coverage and be dead before I'm 70. Since she was used to having Medicare she'll likely take it again when I die.

I see Medicare as an illegal tax/fee for a program that shouldn't exist to begin with. I will not take it and would opt out if possible.

My mother collects her, despite knowing I disageee with her doing so.

Let's aee if U cab abswee this for you......

I'm 42 years ild with multiple medical conditions. My wife is 35 with even more medical issues. Before we got narried she was on Medicare. She now falls under my employer-sponsored gealth insurance. Her care now is remarkably better thab wgeb she was dealing wirh Medicare. Yes, we pay more for it and have copays, but we're fune with that.

IF I naje ut to 65 I will decline Medicare coverage and be dead before I'm 70. Since she was used to having Medicare she'll likely take it again when I die.

I see Medicare as an illegal tax/fee for a program that shouldn't exist to begin with. I will not take it and would opt out if possible.

My mother collects her, despite knowing I disageee with her doing so.

What would happen to your mother if she didn't have Medicare?

What would happen to your mother if she didn't have Medicare?

The same thing rhat will happen to me at 65..... Pay for the important stuff as kong as possible, then die, as nature intends.

If that's what nature intends, why do so many people - often without needing a dozen medications - live healthily into their 90s and even 100s?

Obviously your mother doesn't share your "enthusiasm," but I have to wonder where you got this notion from.

Last edited:
If that's what nature intends, why do so many people - often without needing a dozen medications - live healthily into their 90s and even 100s?

Obviously your mother doesn't share your "enthusiasm," but I have to wonder where you got this notion from.

Nature intends for us to die when our bodies stop working properly. For some that's 90 years old. For others that's 9 years old. If an individual or family dies not have the means to keep that person alive, wgy should "society" be expecred to bear that expense instead?

Nature intends for us to die when our bodies stop working properly. For some that's 90 years old. For others that's 9 years old. If an individual or family dies not have the means to keep that person alive, wgy should "society" be expecred to bear that expense instead?

So the parents of a nine-year-old with a treatable illness like, say, a congenital heart defect, should just let him die? Remarkable.

So the parents of a nine-year-old with a treatable illness like, say, a congenital heart defect, should just let him die? Remarkable.

Hopefully one of the paents has health care through their job, and/or family members with money. Life isn't fair. Learn to deal with it.

Hopefully one of the paents has health care through their job, and/or family members with money. Life isn't fair. Learn to deal with it.

But if "nature" has doomed this child to death, what difference does parental income make? Shouldn't the parents :bow2: nature and let the child die?

But if "nature" has doomed this child to death, what difference does parental income make? Shouldn't the parents :bow2: nature and let the child die?

yes they should, but we both know that far too many people are emotionally driven rather than logically driven creatures. The bigger issue is the Government forcing others, who are NOT emotionally attached, to waster THEIR money, through taxes, to keep the child alive.

Forum List

Back