Medical Questionaire

I got a letter from my insurance company that said that obamacare required an in home interview to discuss my lifestyle and end of life decisions. I called them and told them under no circumstances would anyone be permitted access to my home. I was told there would be penalties, but so far, no penalties.

Obamacare doesn't go into effect until 2014.

I am going to a new doctor today for my annual physical and to check on a few things. I have relocated so I am going to a new Dr.

They emailed me a 3 page form to fill out and bring in with me. Most of it is standard medical history stuff, but one section is called "Prevention". It asks a series of Yes/No questions like do I smoke, drink alcohol, drink coffee ect. But one question stood out.

"If there is a gun in your home, is it out of children's reach and unloaded?"

Now first of all, in my home the answer would be both Yes and No. One is out of reach but it is loaded.

But the main question I have is what does this have to do with my medical care? I think we can proceed with my physical without the doctor knowing the details on how I store firearms. Plus the form had already asked the names and ages of my children. They are 26, 27, and 29.

Has anyone else had this bizarre question pop up at their doctor's office?

I've had it twice, I left it blank. When the nurse reviewed the questionnaire with me I told her it was none of her business, this was a doctors office not a police interrogation room.

It's important to remind these folks that they work for us...not vice versa. Seems they believe we are being interviews, not the opposite.

I am going to a new doctor today for my annual physical and to check on a few things. I have relocated so I am going to a new Dr.

BTW, in case you didn't know it, thanks to ACA, that check up is a freebie.
Yes, my first exam last year was free and will be this year as well, thanks to ObamaCare.
I've never been asked about guns by a doctor.

They emailed me a 3 page form to fill out and bring in with me. Most of it is standard medical history stuff, but one section is called "Prevention". It asks a series of Yes/No questions like do I smoke, drink alcohol, drink coffee ect. But one question stood out.

Now first of all, in my home the answer would be both Yes and No. One is out of reach but it is loaded.

But the main question I have is what does this have to do with my medical care? I think we can proceed with my physical without the doctor knowing the details on how I store firearms. Plus the form had already asked the names and ages of my children. They are 26, 27, and 29.

Nope. Wouldn't go to a doctor like that.

BTW, in case you didn't know it, thanks to ACA, that check up is a freebie.
Yes, my first exam last year was free and will be this year as well, thanks to ObamaCare.
I've never been asked about guns by a doctor.

Not all clinics/doctors include that on their heath questionnaires.

The question is there so when you die your death can be listed as a gun related death and they can further their agenda.

Check this out. do you know that if you answer the question do you smoke or did you ever smoke, no matter for how long or have you ever been exposed to second hand smoke, when you die you are listed as a tobacco related death.

Not only that, if you die of certain types of lung cancer, you're listed as a "smoking-related death", even if you've never been within a mile of a lit cigarette. Depending on who's collecting the data, a 90-year-old man who dies of a stroke while shoveling snow off his driveway will also be a "smoking-related death".

I told my doctor my gun is in my pants and there are no weapons on my property anyway. I asked why he wanted to know this, I was informed it was a mental health screening and preventative medicine check of sorts.

Tell him if you wanted mental health care, you'd go to a psychiatrist, not some fucking hack GP with delusions of grandeur.

I told my doctor my gun is in my pants and there are no weapons on my property anyway. I asked why he wanted to know this, I was informed it was a mental health screening and preventative medicine check of sorts.

You dawg you...:tongue:

Mental health screening makes perfect sense...

No, it doesn't. It's outside the bounds of what a GP is able to treat. Many insurances don't even require a referral from your GP to seek mental health care, because what the hell does a GP know about it, anyway?

I've been getting my medical care from the Veteran's Administration for the last 8 years, and I've never had to answer questions of that nature.

That's because the VA is smart enough not view guns with shock and horror.

Oh, yeah. That's nothing new. Been seeing that, and other questions like it for years. I suppose doctors are just using those forms for general data aggregation, though it wouldn't surprise me if insurance companies are behind it at some level.

They also screen for abuse. The questionnaire administered by my doctor's nurse asks every visit if I feel safe in my home and if anyone has abused me sexually, emotionally, or financialy.

I've been asked about abuse at the emergency room. Never been asked that by my GP. The GP DOES ask about depression and anxiety, but that's because it affects the type of medication he gives me for any conditions I might have, especially if I'm taking psych meds. Whether or not I own a gun does not in any way affect my medication choices.

When I took my son to the pediatrician they asked if we had a pool and if it had a fence around it. I think they also asked about guns too. I am sure there were other such questions.

If you had any sense of pride and independence, you'd have promptly asked them why they thought you were retarded.

Since you're you, you no doubt saw no problem with them thinking you're a moron. After all, everyone else does.

When I took my son to the pediatrician they asked if we had a pool and if it had a fence around it. I think they also asked about guns too. I am sure there were other such questions.

If you had any sense of pride and independence, you'd have promptly asked them why they thought you were retarded.

Since you're you, you no doubt saw no problem with them thinking you're a moron. After all, everyone else does.

You really are nuts, aren't you?
You take a simple answer I gave and turn it into some nutjob rant.
I may not be intelligent but the moron is this person who lives in fear of some non existent boogey man.

I may not be intelligent but the moron is this person who lives in fear of some non existent boogey man.

Or the person who blithely wanders through life, thinking they're in some perfect fairyland where all boogeymen are "non-existent" and the only "right to privacy" that exists is when it comes to killing babies.

No, honey, as long as I look at you and think, "God, what a complete, perfect example of a waste of oxygen that is", I'd say I'm completely sane. If I ever think you've done anything right beyond breathing in and out, THAT'S when I'll start worrying about being nuts.

"Oh, please, Doctor, please question every aspect of my parenting! I'm much too stupid to be trusted with my own child without LOTS of supervision! Please, PLEASE, Mr. Bureaucrat, poke and pry into every aspect of how I live my personal life . . . except my abortions! My children only need protecting AFTER they leave the most hostile, dangerous environment of their entire lives . . . my uterus!"

:puke:

Or the person who blithely wanders through life, thinking they're in some perfect fairyland where all boogeymen are "non-existent" and the only "right to privacy" that exists is when it comes to killing babies.

No, honey, as long as I look at you and think, "God, what a complete, perfect example of a waste of oxygen that is", I'd say I'm completely sane. If I ever think you've done anything right beyond breathing in and out, THAT'S when I'll start worrying about being nuts.

"Oh, please, Doctor, please question every aspect of my parenting! I'm much too stupid to be trusted with my own child without LOTS of supervision! Please, PLEASE, Mr. Bureaucrat, poke and pry into every aspect of how I live my personal life . . . except my abortions! My children only need protecting AFTER they leave the most hostile, dangerous environment of their entire lives . . . my uterus!"

:puke:

You really know nothing about me. :lol:
This post makes that very apparent, and is quite laughable.
The difference between you and I, is I know life isn't a fairy tale but I don't want to spend my life scared of everything. As for what I have done right, what have you done right? You might be successful, but you are a bitter woman. Who is really winning?

Yep. Doesn't cost a thing. Government faeries pay the doctors out of thin air.

Oh c'mon ... Surely, by now, you have EDUCATED yourself.

You're right. I have. That's how I can tell you're full of shit. Peddle your corporate cheerleading to somewhere else.

As usual, you conveniently left out the part of my post that shows how dishonest and unethical you are. Here is my entire post, including the part you ignored.

If not, there's a link right there in my sig. Enjoy.

I got a letter from my insurance company that said that obamacare required an in home interview to discuss my lifestyle and end of life decisions. I called them and told them under no circumstances would anyone be permitted access to my home. I was told there would be penalties, but so far, no penalties.

Obamacare doesn't go into effect until 2014.

Obviously, katzen is lying and, not very well at that but there are parts of ACA that are in effect. There's a link on the site I've quoted in my sig that takes you to a timeline so you can see what is in effect and when other parts will take effect.

Note to katzen - try not to be so obvious in your lies. That one is downright comical.

You're right. I have. That's how I can tell you're full of shit. Peddle your corporate cheerleading to somewhere else.

As usual, you conveniently left out the part of my post that shows how dishonest and unethical you are. Here is my entire post, including the part you ignored.

If not, there's a link right there in my sig. Enjoy.

You're missing the point (deliberately?). Nothing is 'free'. We pay for it, and then some. Wake up!

Last edited:
wow, lots of people who have no clue about medicine in this country making crap up about causes of death.

OP, your doctor was being honest with you. this is a standard of care nowadays. Depression screening is part of your primary care. That's why it's called primary care. A lot of people don't know they meet criteria for major depression, and truly crazy people often lack the insight to know they are crazy. Just like your GP screens for physical deformities, physiologic problems, and malignancy, they also check for mental health. Because, well, it's part of HEALTH.

Keeping guns away from young children = good.
Screening for suicidal tendency and means to execute it = good.

Do you disagree? If not, pay no mind to question subjects you're already on top of. The goal is not to say you shouldn't own a gun. The goal is to ensure safety with it.

Tell him if you wanted mental health care, you'd go to a psychiatrist, not some fucking hack GP with delusions of grandeur.
clueless as usual.....

Obviously doctors want to know if you're at risk for particular diseases or injuries. If you store a loaded gun in your home within reach of children, you're at higher risk for being shot. Getting shot is generally a severe medical problem requiring immediate attention, and can often lead to death.

Obviously doctors want to know if you're at risk for particular diseases or injuries. If you store a loaded gun in your home within reach of children, you're at higher risk for being shot. Getting shot is generally a severe medical problem requiring immediate attention, and can often lead to death.

Unless my doctor has some reason to believe I'm suffering from an allergy to gunpowder or something of that nature, he has no reason to "screen" for guns in my home, any more than his questionnaire should ask me whether or not I have those little sticky treads in the bottom of my bathtub to keep me from slipping and falling.

If I happen to get a gunshot wound, my primary care doctor will not be the person treating it, so it's really none of his business.

New Topics

Forum List

Back