Medical-pot users fuming over ATF’s gun-sale ban

When I was in California, I had a medical marijuana referral, and I also legally owned a number of guns.

I'd heard that if you registered with the state (which you could do, and get the official "pot card"), they would reject any firearm licences - but it wasn't really an issue, because I never got the card. I'd just bring the recommendation, along with my ID to the dispensary.
I would submit that if the 'respective' entities were in communication (like an investigation) this would not be the case...

Well, that's the thing. In California, the only "entities" that were aware of my doctor's recommendation for weed were the doctor, me, and the dispensaries that I would show it to.
What about the entities that would be involved on the NICS level? FBI, ATF, at least.

What about them?

How would they know about my doctor's recommendation?
Lets say if there were (for whatever reason) a coalescence of interdepartmental agencies / physicians / dispensaries... like you were a companion to someone at a gun range that accidentally had his gun jam and blow up in his face killing himself. An investigation would reveal minutia on all aspects including your medical background, gun ownership regardless of 'Dr. patient confidentiality'.

Last edited:
When I was in California, I had a medical marijuana referral, and I also legally owned a number of guns.

I'd heard that if you registered with the state (which you could do, and get the official "pot card"), they would reject any firearm licences - but it wasn't really an issue, because I never got the card. I'd just bring the recommendation, along with my ID to the dispensary.
I would submit that if the 'respective' entities were in communication (like an investigation) this would not be the case...

Well, that's the thing. In California, the only "entities" that were aware of my doctor's recommendation for weed were the doctor, me, and the dispensaries that I would show it to.
What about the entities that would be involved on the NICS level? FBI, ATF, at least.
That would be an issue only when purchasing a new firearm.

Not sure... can you reference anything on a 'state' level to back that up...? I think that x 9 states will fit that bill soon.

What about them?

Lets say if there were (for whatever reason) a coalescence of interdepartmental agencies / physicians ... like you were a companion to someone at a gun range that accidentally had his gun jam and blow up in his face killing himself. An investigation would reveal minutia on all aspects including your medical background, gun ownership regardless of 'Dr. patient confidentiality'.

I don't think I understand what you're asking.

If a jam caused a gun to backfire, and killed a "companion" of mine, why would there be an "investigation" into me?

What about them?

Lets say if there were (for whatever reason) a coalescence of interdepartmental agencies / physicians ... like you were a companion to someone at a gun range that accidentally had his gun jam and blow up in his face killing himself. An investigation would reveal minutia on all aspects including your medical background, gun ownership regardless of 'Dr. patient confidentiality'.

If a jam caused a gun to backfire, and killed a "companion" of mine, why would there be an "investigation" into me?
Let's just say (for argument sake) you were being investigated.... Pick a scenario that works for you... mistaken identity / thought to be trafficking or harboring a fugitive...

What about them?

Let's just say (for argument sake) you were being investigated.... Pick a scenario that works for your... mistaken identity / thought to be trafficking or harboring a fugitive...

Ok. Then what?

What point are you trying to argue?

What about them?

Let's just say (for argument sake) you were being investigated.... Pick a scenario that works for you... mistaken identity / thought to be trafficking or harboring a fugitive...
An investigation would culminate in all parties coming together, would they not?

What about them?

Let's just say (for argument sake) you were being investigated.... Pick a scenario that works for your... mistaken identity / thought to be trafficking or harboring a fugitive...

Ok. Then what?

How would this pan out in a state that allows you to recreationally posses pot? (let's assume it's not on you and your not high while using your firearm)

What about them?

An investigation would culminate in all parties coming together, would they not?

I doubt it. There are a whole lot of doctors in California that give out marijuana recommendations, and the one I went to wouldn't give up any patient information absent a subpoena.

But let's say that I was under investigation, and the FBI did did find out that I had a marijuana recommendation. What do you think would happen?

What about them?

Ok. Then what?

How would this pan out in a state that allows you to recreationally posses pot? (let's assume it's not on you and your not high while using your firearm)

I don't know.

Not sure... can you reference anything on a 'state' level to back that up...? I think that x 9 states will fit that bill soon.
That's Federal law, not state; Federal firearm laws determine who is a prohibited person.

What about them?

I doubt it. There are a whole lot of doctors in California that give out marijuana recommendations, and the one I went to wouldn't give up any patient information absent a subpoena.

But let's say that I was under investigation, and the FBI did did find out that I had a marijuana recommendation. What do you think would happen?
I'm really not sure if the State laws would insulate you if there was not an additional crime

I'm really not sure if the State laws would insulate you if there was not an additional crime

What would I need to be insulated from?

I don't know the answer... and I don't have a statute spelling it out... that's my point here. Looking for hypotheticals is all

Federal involvement / prosecution...

For what? Possession of marijuana? Possession of a licensed weapon?

I don't mean to be annoying, but I'm having a hard time following.

That's Federal law, not state; Federal firearm laws determine who is a prohibited person.
We're specifically talking rec. use in states that have legalized rec. use... Medical M use is obviously a 'no go'

Yes... on a state level are they mutually exclusive...??? doesn't say in state statutes.

Take my state of VT for instance. Don't have to register / license a firearm... rec. pot use to be legal... Is rec. pot now tantamount to Etoh? in regard to not being impaired while using / carrying firearms?

Forum List

Back