Medical Mistakes: Thre real number one killer.

I would like to speak from the perspective of doctors, since I am one.

Since we are human, we make mistakes. However, since we are dealing with lives and peoples health, we do our absolute best to minimize them.

It is hard to draw the line between evaluating a patient and diagnosing someone with a benign condition or illness, and going on a multimillion dollar fishing expedition to look for something that could be deadly but is unlikely to exist. Sometimes you have to play the percentages and go with the most likely scenario.

For example, yesterday, I saw an 11 year old girl with mild cold-like symptoms and fatigue with fevers off and on for a month. She had a virus, unquestionably. The mom seemed very concerned and wanted some tests. I ordered blood counts, but I didn't see the point of getting a chest xray, blood cultures, urine cultures, or start a workup for lymphoma or leukemia or something else bad. And had I given her antibiotics, and she hadn't improved (because antibiotics don't treat viruses), I would have been asked for another round of antibiotics, or a different antibiotic.

I had to make a call. Maybe she does have a tumor or something. Or a whopping pneumonia. But from my experience and what the patient looked like, the chances were nil.

The area of medicine that I do admit needs constant improvement is medication errors, especially in hospitals. Most of the time it is the wrong medicine or wrong dose that is given, and unusually these errors are due to the multiple steps that are needed to give the medicine: physician has to order it, the order has to be read and placed into the computer, the pharmacy has to fill it, the nurse has to give it. There are so many steps were a simple error, like a moved decimal place, can have dire consequences. As medical professionals, and hospitals, we are very aware of this and are doing everthing that we can to prevent future occurances.

I just wanted to jump in and say my peace. Thanks for listening.
It'd be e nice to know before getting care if they did more harm than good to twenty or more patients.
I know a very good doc that was run outta state on a rail because an operating nurse forgot to count the sponges before he sewed the patient back up. Docs depend on nurses and don't always count their own sponges before sewing the patient back up. Sad affair but of course I'd like to know about it so I could make an informed decision before I went to that hospital or used that facility if the need arises.

I would like to speak from the perspective of doctors, since I am one.

Since we are human, we make mistakes. However, since we are dealing with lives and peoples health, we do our absolute best to minimize them.

It is hard to draw the line between evaluating a patient and diagnosing someone with a benign condition or illness, and going on a multimillion dollar fishing expedition to look for something that could be deadly but is unlikely to exist. Sometimes you have to play the percentages and go with the most likely scenario.

For example, yesterday, I saw an 11 year old girl with mild cold-like symptoms and fatigue with fevers off and on for a month. She had a virus, unquestionably. The mom seemed very concerned and wanted some tests. I ordered blood counts, but I didn't see the point of getting a chest xray, blood cultures, urine cultures, or start a workup for lymphoma or leukemia or something else bad. And had I given her antibiotics, and she hadn't improved (because antibiotics don't treat viruses), I would have been asked for another round of antibiotics, or a different antibiotic.

I had to make a call. Maybe she does have a tumor or something. Or a whopping pneumonia. But from my experience and what the patient looked like, the chances were nil.

The area of medicine that I do admit needs constant improvement is medication errors, especially in hospitals. Most of the time it is the wrong medicine or wrong dose that is given, and unusually these errors are due to the multiple steps that are needed to give the medicine: physician has to order it, the order has to be read and placed into the computer, the pharmacy has to fill it, the nurse has to give it. There are so many steps were a simple error, like a moved decimal place, can have dire consequences. As medical professionals, and hospitals, we are very aware of this and are doing everthing that we can to prevent future occurances.

I just wanted to jump in and say my peace. Thanks for listening.

Here is the problem I see, most doctors do not seem interested in making your life comfortable, or do not really care about the patient at all, they have become just like any other "professional" going in for the paycheck. The medical schooling use to be a sort of filter to catch most of those who were just not willing to take their job seriously, but it hasn't been working now, it's the reason my favorite doctor retired early, she got tired of most the other doctors just not caring and couldn't handle the worry anymore. Recently a second doctor just retired to, for the same reason. A truly good doctor doesn't worry about just keeping your heart going until they see your time is up, that's why they are making mistakes, a good doctor listens more than talks and will pay attention to all your problems to find out what's actually "in your head" and what's real. The hospital is where I see it most clearly, went in twice for the same problem, since my doctor had already retired I had no choice in the matter ... both times all they did was prescribe pain killers (which I don't take unless I can't sleep which is usually never) and antibiotics, in spite of me telling them that this is not normal for me and that something isn't right, they didn't listen, like so many do now, and now I have even more issues to deal with stemming from this problem. Now I just deal with it, because until it becomes a threat to my life I know they will do nothing. Two hospitals, two teams of doctors and nurses, all the same result. If I had a resource like Rodishi mentioned I may have been able to find a decent and caring doctor or team instead of wasting my time and money on the quacks. I went through three "regular" doctors testing them before I found the one I did like, so it's not even just the one time, it's just this last time was too much. When doctors again start actually caring about patients instead of what the current trend is, when they start thinking about our whole health and comfort again instead of just keeping us breathing, then perhaps I will find reason to trust them. I was a child, about 8 years old, fell onto something sharp which lodged some rocks in the wound. The doctor didn't care about anything but digging it out and bandaging it up as quickly as possible to move on to the next patient. 8 years old, the pain was horrible, my mother had to threaten the asshole before he gave me something, but by then the damage was done. All my life, this is how doctors have been, with only one exception so far, only one who didn't lecture me on the "dangers of smoking" or how I was "too skinny and should eat more", one doctor that listened to me, paid attention to me, and tried to help as best she could. One doctor with an actual heart. If you are a good doctor then such a website as Rodishi point out would be something you would welcome and love the idea of, only bad doctors will be frightened of it.

If you are a good doctor then such a website as Rodishi point out would be something you would welcome and love the idea of, only bad doctors will be frightened of it.

The only problem with websites like this is that the only people that will leave feedback are those that want to leave negative feedback, even if that negative feedback is unwarranted.

Like the lady that I mentioned in my post that was very concerned about her daughter. I spent time evaluating her and talking with her and her mother, trying to reassure her that her daughter had a virus. Since the mom clearly was wanting a bunch of unnecessary tests (including exposing her daughter to an unnecessary xray) and antibiotics (which would not work on a virus and would only lead to bacterial resistance and possible side-effects), she would probably give me negative feedback. But I would have actually been a bad doctor had I done what she wanted.

If you are a good doctor then such a website as Rodishi point out would be something you would welcome and love the idea of, only bad doctors will be frightened of it.

The only problem with websites like this is that the only people that will leave feedback are those that want to leave negative feedback, even if that negative feedback is unwarranted.

Like the lady that I mentioned in my post that was very concerned about her daughter. I spent time evaluating her and talking with her and her mother, trying to reassure her that her daughter had a virus. Since the mom clearly was wanting a bunch of unnecessary tests (including exposing her daughter to an unnecessary xray) and antibiotics (which would not work on a virus and would only lead to bacterial resistance and possible side-effects), she would probably give me negative feedback. But I would have actually been a bad doctor had I done what she wanted.

You don't look at many sites that allow people to rate things do you? I have recently learned how accurate they can be (looking for a restaurant), went to one that had a bad rating just because it looked so good, thought maybe people were being overly critical of the place ... know what? The food sucked, service sucked, and I don't want to think about what the cooks looked like. However, there were a lot of the that had great to flawless ratings. This is the internet age, everyone posts their opinion on everything, good or bad (about the same either way), online. You assertion is the same as "video games make kids kill each other more".

That does happen. Angie's List is a bit better, though. People pay for the information and tend to be responsible in terms of leaving good feedback. It's far better than some site you can go on to vent. On those sites you are quite right. Only whiners tend to post. Plus, people are pretty good at identifying whiners. In the case of your patient it all comes down to one thing: Did her daughter get better? If so, the mom can shut up. If her daughter dies then it's fair to say you might not be the best doctor out there. Us non-doctors assume a quality doctor can properly discern between a case of the flu and a deadly African ebola-type virus.

In my case (one of several simple things misdiagnosed over the years leading to pain and misery for me) I had acute appendicitis. I was told nothing was wrong and sent on my way, only to have my appendix rupture in the hospital parking lot. Which, of course, led to complications that never would have occurred if Doctor "I Got My Degree in Malawi" had been able to diagnose an incredibly common medical issue. So, yes, I would have reamed him on Angie's List. On the plus side that particular ailment will never be misdignosed again. Provided, of course, that the surgeon actually removed my appendix. I may find out later that half my liver is gone (just kidding).

In the case of your patient it all comes down to one thing: Did her daughter get better? If so, the mom can shut up. If her daughter dies then it's fair to say you might not be the best doctor out there.

I can guarantee that she's going to die...just not from this.

My sister in law is a doctor and she is great. you guys have no idea. The amount of pressure they are under, and the number of diagnoses that any number of symptoms could be would amaze you..

And KK, of course they are gonna lecture you on smoking. About 2 percent of doctors smoke. About 22 percent of the adult population do. Don't you think there's a reason for their profession's numbers being so skewed?
Smoking is an insidious habit. I gave up after 17 years. Best thing I ever did. Worse than heroin, coke, alcohol..you name it....fucking digusting habit, waste of money, and nothing but a vile, horrible death awaits. Known a multitude of smokers in my life (most of family have been). Of those that smoked their whole lives, every one of them died of a smoking related death - painful, long, and suffered immensely - lung cancer, hardened arteries, heart disease (as a direct result) - amputations due to bad circulation, emphasema...you name it. Interestingly (and I know I have stated this before), my sister-in-law who is the doctor says that 10 percent of smokers will not suffer damage. They have no idea why either, but it must be some sort of gene...

In the case of your patient it all comes down to one thing: Did her daughter get better? If so, the mom can shut up. If her daughter dies then it's fair to say you might not be the best doctor out there.

I can guarantee that she's going to die...just not from this.

Yeah, it's a profession with an ultimate success rate of 0%. But I won't hold that against you. It's God's fault.

FWIW, I have ONLY left positive feedback on Angie's List...for my doctor, my auto mechanic, and my plumber. I like all three.

On the flip side, I have dealt with some very arrogant, know-it-all doctors who have really caused me issues. For instance, my daughter has frequent outbursts of eczema. The doctor she used to see was COMPLETELY unhelpful. His last call was that she had SCABIES. I was like..."But if she doesn't have scabies, and it's really eczema, what will the scabies meds do to her skin?" Why, they'd have torn them right up, and turned a monthlong outbreak into several months of misery for my kid.

I was like..."NO. You're mistaken." I took her to another doctor, and sure enough, eczema. None of the meds were helpful, so I started making her a herbal salve that works fine.

What I like about my doctor, who is a family practice doctor but also treats my female stuff and my thyroid problems, is that he is a ravenous reader who is very contemporary on the research and he REALLY listens to me. When you are dealing with issues like anxiety, or thyroid, or something more amorphous, you need someone who listens, not who starts making judgements. Because they aren't clear black/white treatment issues.

With my thyroid levels, I know what the normal range is, but I feel a lot better at 1 than I do at 3. 3 is still normal, but at 3, I feel sluggish, tired, and sick. My hair falls out. My skin dries up. I gain weight. I needed a doctor who would HEAR that and keep me on meds that keep me where I feel good...and I don't suffer from female hair loss.

I know that doctors have tough jobs, and we're all armchair quarterbacks, but shit. I work in a tough field, too, and everyone's a critic. Deal.

Forum List

Back