Medical Group Faults US Militarization of Haitian Relief

P F Tinmore

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 2009
The US, meanwhile, is being accused of prioritizing the delivery of troops and military equipment over direly needed aid. Doctors Without Borders legal director Francoise Saulnier says a plane carrying over twelve tons of aid was turned back from landing three times this week.

Francoise Saulnier: “Now everything has been mixed together, and the urgent and vital attention to the people have been delayed, while military logistic—which is useful, but not on day three, not on day four, but maybe on day eight—this military logistic has really jammed the airport and led to this mismanagement, real mismanagement of vital issues.”

The Doctors Without Borders plane was diverted to the Dominican Republic, delaying the aid delivery by three days. At a Haitian hospital Wednesday, Doctors Without Borders field coordinator Pip Millard said doctors are struggling to treat earthquake survivors.

Pip Millard: “We’ve got a surgical team here who are doing surgery. We’re having to do amputations. We’ve got some really severe wounds, lots of fractured limbs, both arms, legs, many different kind of crush injuries. And also, one of the other problems that we’re really encountering is lack of supplies. We’re running out of things very quickly.”

Democracy Now! | Headlines for January 21, 2010

Everyone has their own priorities. The other guys stuff is never as important

The US, meanwhile, is being accused of prioritizing the delivery of troops and military equipment over direly needed aid. Doctors Without Borders legal director Francoise Saulnier says a plane carrying over twelve tons of aid was turned back from landing three times this week.

Francoise Saulnier: “Now everything has been mixed together, and the urgent and vital attention to the people have been delayed, while military logistic—which is useful, but not on day three, not on day four, but maybe on day eight—this military logistic has really jammed the airport and led to this mismanagement, real mismanagement of vital issues.”

The Doctors Without Borders plane was diverted to the Dominican Republic, delaying the aid delivery by three days. At a Haitian hospital Wednesday, Doctors Without Borders field coordinator Pip Millard said doctors are struggling to treat earthquake survivors.

Pip Millard: “We’ve got a surgical team here who are doing surgery. We’re having to do amputations. We’ve got some really severe wounds, lots of fractured limbs, both arms, legs, many different kind of crush injuries. And also, one of the other problems that we’re really encountering is lack of supplies. We’re running out of things very quickly.”

Here's an idea, let's call our Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard units back. Cancel all aid that was promised to Haiti as well as the $240M worth of donations sent to the AMERICAN Red Cross from our private citizenry, and see how well "Doctors Without Borders" performs then? What an arrogant piece of shit this Francoise person is....

Here's an idea, let's call our Army, Navy, Air Force and Coast Guard units back. Cancel all aid that was promised to Haiti as well as the $240M worth of donations sent to the AMERICAN Red Cross from our private citizenry, and see how well "Doctors Without Borders" performs then? What an arrogant piece of shit this Francoise person is....

So right. They all bitch and moan about the US but you don't see France or any other country stepping up to the plate to run the show. Fuck em all.

So right. They all bitch and moan about the US but you don't see any of France stepping up to the plate to run the show. Fuck em all.

Not only that....but the US is somehow "expected" to help anytime anyone has a natural disaster. And because we are a nation of caring people, we almost always respond.....and then we get THIS shit?

So right. They all bitch and moan about the US but you don't see any of France stepping up to the plate to run the show. Fuck em all.

Not only that....but the US is somehow "expected" to help anytime anyone has a natural disaster. And because we are a nation of caring people, we almost always respond.....and then we get THIS shit?

I wonder what the world would do if the good ol U.S. of A. didn't respond??? Who would fill the void. Mayby OL'Hugo would send two planes instead of one.

As I said. Fuck Em All.

Well let them run the airport then, see if they keep bitching.
They have one run way in Haiti and every body and their dog coming in there to help, I wonder why some people can't land right away??????

We are now an occupying force in Haiti. We now own that country. Anything that goes wrong in that country will now be blamed on this President and our nation. This President is already being accused of "Responding too slowly." He is also now allowing hundreds of thousands of Haitian Refugees to flow into Florida. This will have an impact on our nation and especially Florida. I'll let people decide for themselves whether this impact will be positive or negative. I know where i stand on that. This awful Haitian disaster will become our own awful disaster in the coming months.

Everyone has their own priorities. The other guys stuff is never as important
This is the correct way to deal with this. Ignore them. They have no real power to do more then just complain and the needs of the people of Haiti must come before the whining of any specific group.

This President has made some very serious mistakes regarding this issue. He has used our Military to occupy and police. He should be instead focusing our Military solely on finding Americans missing over there. Frustration and anger is building against this President's apparent indifference to American families who have missing loved ones in Haiti. The Military should be concentrating on finding missing Americans over there. Forget the policing stuff. He has also just decided to allow hundreds of thousands of Haitian refugees to come to Florida. I of course vehemently disagree with this decision. I know i will be called a racist or be accused of not caring but i still oppose this decision. Helping the Haitians over in Haiti is something we can all fully support but allowing this mass influx of Haitian refugees is a whole other issue. I believe this President is making some very bad decisions regarding this Haitian tragedy. That's just how i feel anyway.

This President has made some very serious mistakes regarding this issue. He has used our Military to occupy and police. He should be instead focusing our Military solely on finding Americans missing over there. Frustration and anger is building against this President's apparent indifference to American families who have missing loved ones in Haiti. The Military should be concentrating on finding missing Americans over there. Forget the policing stuff. He has also just decided to allow hundreds of thousands of Haitian refugees to come to Florida. I of course vehemently disagree with this decision. I know i will be called a racist or be accused of not caring but i still oppose this decision. Helping the Haitians over in Haiti is something we can all fully support but allowing this mass influx of Haitian refugees is a whole other issue. I believe this President is making some very bad decisions regarding this Haitian tragedy. That's just how i feel anyway.

Believe me. I'm with you. I'm here in Florida and I'm wondering how much this is going to cost. Haiti is a shithole and has been forever. We poured 3.2 billion into that shithole since the 90's. Where did the money go??? Sure didn't go to the people.

I don't want all these Haitians here in Florida. Once here they will never go home and we will be stuck with em. Wonder if OL'BO will take a few and put em in the WH?? Ain't holding my breath. This will turn iinto one costly mess for my State. Jeeze.

The US Military got the airport in Haiti back up and running in less than 3 days including the ATC and all the power needed to operate it. There are currently 140 flights a day going in and out of that airport and without US Military assistance those civilian and military assistance flights would not be possible including the Doctors without Borders flight that was turned away. If you think Haiti is a bad situtation now, without the US Military it would be much much worse. On a side note, the only way to deliver that assisatnce in a rapid manner for the people of Haiti is thought the US Military and as it has ZERO strategic value we are there to help the people there and not as a force to occupy the nation. One other thing you should know the NYPD a civilian agency is on its way to help train the Haitian police force not the US Military and a vast majoirty of the flights that come in and out of Haiti on a daily basis are from agencies around the world from the Red Cross, to yes even Doctors without Borders.

I hear ya Navy. I'm not slamming the Military. I am slamming this President though. Our Military should focus on finding missing Americans. That's just how i feel. His decision to allow hundreds of thousands of Haitian refugees to flow into Florida is a terrible decision as well. I know i will be accused of not caring by the usual suspects but i still vehemently oppose this decision. I think this President is blowing it. How sad.

I hear ya Navy. I'm not slamming the Military. I am slamming this President though. Our Military should focus on finding missing Americans. That's just how i feel. His decision to allow hundreds of thousands of Haitian refugees to flow into Florida is a terrible decision as well. I know i will be accused of not caring by the usual suspects but i still vehemently oppose this decision. I think this President is blowing it. How sad.

I've been keeping track on a lot of the effort when it comes to getting aid to Haiti as well as some of the issues dealiing with Haitian Orphans. I tend to feel that the best vehicle that our nation has to get aid to people , especially in a situation like this is the Military and the attempts to paint it as occupation when it clearly is not tends to take away from the good work people are doing there. Whats sort of hard I suppose for some to see is when you have a situation where the ability to land supplies is limited and when you compound that bu the sheer vollume of supplies coming in sometimes even well meaning people are going to have to wait in line.

Yea Navy,i apologize for appearing to be attacking our Military. Obviously they are doing great work. I would just like to see this President order them to make finding missing Americans their top priority. I am very disappointed in his apparent indifference to American families who have missing loved ones over there. Sorry if i offended.

Didn't offend me at all, it's just I have seen a few suggestions recently that were are somehow over there to occupy Haiti and that implies that the mission to bring aid there is secondary to the occupation. When you think about Haiti and all the problems with that nation and how poor it is, the US could occupy that nation with one destroyer and 1 Stryker brigade. Personally I don't care how the aid gets there as long as it does, and I have heard so much over the last several years about how bad the US is , I think this event as bad as it is, shows that our nation has compassion and will willingly come to the aid of anyone that needs it.

so we should just go in and rescue Americans and leave the rest lying around?

Think of the global uproar that would cause.

Perhaps we should have just let Pat Robertson handle the relief effort?

What a bunch of whiney asses.

Find our missing Americans and put a halt to the massive influx of Haitian Refugees that are about to flood Florida. This is what i want this President and our Military to do. Hey that's just how i feel anyway.

Forum List

Back