Medical care confusion

Do you know the difference between medical care and health care? I didn't until I read this.
RealClearPolitics - Medical Care Confusion

Sowell makes valid points, but he actually misses the crux of the problem which he himself presents. "The point is that health care is largely in your hands. Medical care is in the hands of doctors."

Think about it. Nobody really believes s/he will get sick, get into a car crash that rips off limbs or causes brain damage. As humans, we like to think we're so above the creature concept that we're immune from physical harm. Nah...can't happen to ME. And then it does. And when it does, and that person has not provided for the possibility of needing medical care, or doesn't qualify for the existing freebies, and also finds himself in need of costly medical procedures to sustain his life (or lifestyle), who gets to pay for his treatment? WE DO--by way of jacked up prices. Ironically, it's the medical provider's insurance against treating people who can't or won't pay.

Do you know the difference between medical care and health care? I didn't until I read this.

Sowell makes valid points, but he actually misses the crux of the problem which he himself presents. "The point is that health care is largely in your hands. Medical care is in the hands of doctors."

Think about it. Nobody really believes s/he will get sick, get into a car crash that rips off limbs or causes brain damage. As humans, we like to think we're so above the creature concept that we're immune from physical harm. Nah...can't happen to ME. And then it does. And when it does, and that person has not provided for the possibility of needing medical care, or doesn't qualify for the existing freebies, and also finds himself in need of costly medical procedures to sustain his life (or lifestyle), who gets to pay for his treatment? WE DO--by way of jacked up prices. Ironically, it's the medical provider's insurance against treating people who can't or won't pay.
Are you to be held accountable for my health insurance premiums? Of course not. Am I to be held responsible for my neighbor's health insurance premiums? Of course not. Obama's health insurance package policy specifies that the average American tax paying citizen should be responsible for the health of the entire nation. He forgets to mention that the lazy inner city welfare receiving non-working blacks will be the recipients of this welfare program, and not the average American citizen who has paid into the welfare program of medicare for years. He will be taxing the medicare program which already is taxed enough with providing care for illegal aliens who have not paid into the program at all.

Soaring, let's do keep just a little perspective and realism here. The majority of non working, welfare recipients are white. Let's have a little righteous indignation directed at the group who consumes the most of your welfare dollars: Red state, white trash, rednecks.

Soaring, let's do keep just a little perspective and realism here. The majority of non working, welfare recipients are white. Let's have a little righteous indignation directed at the group who consumes the most of your welfare dollars: Red state, white trash, rednecks.
BS....show me some proof of that ridiculous statement.

even if it aint true Soar.....there are a lot of non-blacks soaking up the welfare dole....

even if it aint true Soar.....there are a lot of non-blacks soaking up the welfare dole....

It is true, has been since the inception of public assistance. What is more specific about that statement is the number of "non working" welfare recipients. 70% of blacks are employed during and when leaving assistance roles. Only 45% of whites are. It's a reflection of the difference in education, wages and status in the employment pool. Many black families ARE WORKING families that still qualify for assistance because they earn little money, but they are working. White recipients, OTOH, are more likely to be non working recipients.

Blacks make up about 40% of TANF families and whites make up about 40%. But the whites cost more, have more children under 18 and are more likely to be unemployed.

The stats do reflect that there is a serious disproportion by race, with 12% of the population being over represented but still, when you get down to dollars and cents, white people get more. Just because there are more of us.

Are you to be held accountable for my health insurance premiums? Of course not. Am I to be held responsible for my neighbor's health insurance premiums? Of course not. Obama's health insurance package policy specifies that the average American tax paying citizen should be responsible for the health of the entire nation. He forgets to mention that the lazy inner city welfare receiving non-working blacks will be the recipients of this welfare program, and not the average American citizen who has paid into the welfare program of medicare for years. He will be taxing the medicare program which already is taxed enough with providing care for illegal aliens who have not paid into the program at all.

When my private health insurance premiums are calculated based on a formulated risk-based assessment, then you'd better believe it's not because of something I, personally, caused. It's because of the medical history of OTHERS who meet the same formula. Bottom line is that I am, in effect, supporting your health insurance too.

What you fail to grasp is that there are a plethora of hidden costs that we are ALREADY paying through the nose for just to keep private insurers profitable.

Your racial slur aside, you're full of shit. Medicaid isn't going anywhere, free clinics aren't going anywhere. If some inner city welfare receiving non-working black decides he doesn't want public option INSURANCE, then he's on his own with the existing programs.

When my private health insurance premiums are calculated based on a formulated risk-based assessment, then you'd better believe it's not because of something I, personally, caused. It's because of the medical history of OTHERS who meet the same formula. Bottom line is that I am, in effect, supporting your health insurance too.

What you fail to grasp is that there are a plethora of hidden costs that we are ALREADY paying through the nose for just to keep private insurers profitable.

It's true that if you are a young, healthy person much of your insurance premium goes to offset the health care costs of older, sicker people, but under our present system, you can refuse to buy this insurance. If you are young and healthy and decide you would rather spend that money to go back to school or start a business or buy a house, you can opt to buy a much cheaper catastrophic insurance policy because you would rather pay for routine health care out of pocket or go to a free clinic and you only want coverage that will protect you from years of debt if you have a serious accident or get a serious illness.

But under the House bill, you don't have the right to make this decision. The House bill requires every American to buy a government approved, one-size-fits-all insurance policy. What's more, each year when you file your taxes, you will be required to submit proof you are enrolled in a government approved plan, and if you don't, you will be fined from 2.5% of your income up to what the government decides is the price you would have paid for the policy, and then the government will enroll you in an insurance plan whether you like it or not. So instead of being able to spend this money to go back to school or start a business or buy a house, you will either use it to buy a government approved health insurance plan or pay the government thousands of dollars in fines. The House bill says, in effect, you owe this money to older and sicker people who need it or to poorer people who need it or to your government or to anyone Pelosi and Obama say you owe it to.

But that's all right, isn't it?

After all, this is America, isn't it?

This is how Americans want to be treated by their government, isn't it?

Don't you think that you could have made your point without saying this:

He forgets to mention that the lazy inner city welfare receiving non-working blacks will be the recipients of this welfare program...

Or maybe your goal wasn't to engage in intelligent, adult discussion, but rather to share your bigoted, prejudgiced views with us.

Last edited:

It's true that if you are a young, healthy person much of your insurance premium goes to offset the health care costs of older, sicker people, but under our present system, you can refuse to buy this insurance. If you are young and healthy and decide you would rather spend that money to go back to school or start a business or buy a house, you can opt to buy a much cheaper catastrophic insurance policy because you would rather pay for routine health care out of pocket or go to a free clinic and you only want coverage that will protect you from years of debt if you have a serious accident or get a serious illness.

But under the House bill, you don't have the right to make this decision. The House bill requires every American to buy a government approved, one-size-fits-all insurance policy. What's more, each year when you file your taxes, you will be required to submit proof you are enrolled in a government approved plan, and if you don't, you will be fined from 2.5% of your income up to what the government decides is the price you would have paid for the policy, and then the government will enroll you in an insurance plan whether you like it or not. So instead of being able to spend this money to go back to school or start a business or buy a house, you will either use it to buy a government approved health insurance plan or pay the government thousands of dollars in fines. The House bill says, in effect, you owe this money to older and sicker people who need it or to poorer people who need it or to your government or to anyone Pelosi and Obama say you owe it to.

THE HOUSE BILL IS NOT THE ENACTED LAW. Not even close. PLEASE, people, try to pay attention, will ya?

THE HOUSE BILL IS NOT THE ENACTED LAW. Not even close. PLEASE, people, try to pay attention, will ya?

Try to focus. The time to take a position on a bill is before it becomes law, not after.

Blacks are over represented in the welfare pool. There is a reason for it and it is the subject of not only debate, but efforts to curb the numbers. Education, skill sets and the lingering pay gap, especially for black women, are all part of the reason.

So, there is a reasonable discussion to be had about the over representation of blacks. But when someone tries to frame the entire welfare debate around blacks, they are forgetting the 60% of welfare that goes to non blacks.

Forum List

Back