our $1000 medical debt threshold, did not account for this
change. An analysis that used all criteria except the size of
medical debts found a 48.7% relative increase. An analysis
limited to the 5 states in our 2001 study yielded virtually
identical findings.
In multivariate analysis, a medical cause of bankruptcy
was more likely in 2007 than in 2001 (OR  2.38,
P .0001) (Table 4).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/documents/american_journal_of_medicine_09.pdf

Over 60 Percent Of All US Bankruptcies Attributable To Medical Problems
ScienceDaily (June 5, 2009) — In 2007, before the current economic downturn, an American family filed for bankruptcy in the aftermath of illness every 90 seconds; three-quarters of them were insured. Over 60% of all bankruptcies in the United States in 2007 were driven by medical incidents. In an article published in the August 2009 issue of the American Journal of Medicine, the results of the first-ever national random-sample survey of bankruptcy filers shows that illnesses and medical bills contribute to a large and increasing share of bankruptcies. The share of bankruptcies attributable to medical problems rose by 50% between 2001 and 2007.
ScienceDaily (June 5, 2009) — In 2007, before the current economic downturn, an American family filed for bankruptcy in the aftermath of illness every 90 seconds; three-quarters of them were insured. Over 60% of all bankruptcies in the United States in 2007 were driven by medical incidents. In an article published in the August 2009 issue of the American Journal of Medicine, the results of the first-ever national random-sample survey of bankruptcy filers shows that illnesses and medical bills contribute to a large and increasing share of bankruptcies. The share of bankruptcies attributable to medical problems rose by 50% between 2001 and 2007.

Which, in turn, punctures the most persistent myth of all: that America has "the finest health care" in the world. We don't. In terms of results, almost all advanced countries have better national health statistics than the United States does. In terms of finance, we force 700,000 Americans into bankruptcy each year because of medical bills. In France, the number of medical bankruptcies is zero. Britain: zero. Japan: zero. Germany: zero.

Myths About Healthcare Beyond the U.S. | Citizen 4.0

Which, in turn, punctures the most persistent myth of all: that America has "the finest health care" in the world. We don't. In terms of results, almost all advanced countries have better national health statistics than the United States does. In terms of finance, we force 700,000 Americans into bankruptcy each year because of medical bills. In France, the number of medical bankruptcies is zero. Britain: zero. Japan: zero. Germany: zero.

The care itself is the finest. Getting the care is another matter. Republicans don't care if poor Americans die. Look at what the leader of their party, Rush Limbaugh said, "No Americans have died from not having health care."

Republican Health Care policy, "Die quickly and save money".

Are there no workhouses?
Are there no prisons?

I'm not sure how one makes the leap from "finest health care" to "bankruptcy". Does that mean that if I combine completely avoiding all medical care/costs and avoiding bankruptcy that I have fine health care? After all, I avoided medical bankruptcy, therefore I must have great medical care.

Well, when you claim to have the finest health care in the world, but even third world nations are doing better that you in longevity, health in old age, and infant mortality, you have to question that claim. Add to the fact that the nations that are beating your socks off have no citizens going bankrupt because of medical bill, then that statement looks rather bankrupt.

Well, when you claim to have the finest health care in the world, but even third world nations are doing better that you in longevity, health in old age, and infant mortality, you have to question that claim. Add to the fact that the nations that are beating your socks off have no citizens going bankrupt because of medical bill, then that statement looks rather bankrupt.

Third world nations (in fact, most nations) aren't full of obese people like the US is. Obesity is not caused by lack of health care, is it?

Question... Bankruptcies that are caused by medical bills are being greatly exploited for the benefit of the attempts at some sort of medical reform - no matter what form it takes. They use the statistics gathered from medical bankruptcies to pound their chests and say this is why we need a medical reform bill passed in such a hurry. Now, I'd like to toss out another question about the bankruptcies... How many of these medical bankruptcies are coming about because of peoples gambling debts, poor judgement with credit cards, drinking problems, drug problems, too lazy to go to work, and a host of other issues that aren't being addressed. I am willing to wager that if you took a very close look at some of these medical bankruptcies some of these other issues are just as much a part of the reason for the bankruptcy as their medical bills are. Why aren't we hearing about these problems associated with bankruptcies and only the issues of medical bankruptcies? I am sure there are some cases of bankruptcies due strickly to medical bills but I betcha a lot of them are the result of many issues and not just medical bills. What say you?

Question... Bankruptcies that are caused by medical bills are being greatly exploited for the benefit of the attempts at some sort of medical reform - no matter what form it takes. They use the statistics gathered from medical bankruptcies to pound their chests and say this is why we need a medical reform bill passed in such a hurry. Now, I'd like to toss out another question about the bankruptcies... How many of these medical bankruptcies are coming about because of peoples gambling debts, poor judgement with credit cards, drinking problems, drug problems, too lazy to go to work, and a host of other issues that aren't being addressed. I am willing to wager that if you took a very close look at some of these medical bankruptcies some of these other issues are just as much a part of the reason for the bankruptcy as their medical bills are. Why aren't we hearing about these problems associated with bankruptcies and only the issues of medical bankruptcies? I am sure there are some cases of bankruptcies due strickly to medical bills but I betcha a lot of them are the result of many issues and not just medical bills. What say you?

People often go belly up when they have major medical problems.

Why?

The double whammie of not being able to work PLUS exceedingly high medical bills spells serious trouble for Americans who find themselves in that state.

The stats are there, so read 'em and weap, or read 'em and deny they exist but wishing (which is what you who deny these stats are doing) doesn't make it so, folks.

Our HC delievery system is a mess.

It has bcome a cancer on our economy.

5 percent of bankruptcies are caused by medical bills. In 2007, there were about 41,000 health care related bankruptcies. Too many, to be sure.

Household Consumption and Personal Bankruptcy
Ning Zhu
University of California, Davis
It's much more than 5%.

And what was the point of your link? A college guy writes a paper that in the abstract is described as "utiliz[ing] the population of personal bankruptcy filings in the state of Delaware during 2003"

One tiny state, 2003...Wha???

Normal brain function for ol' Doooodeee.
Standard biolerplate from the Marxist who wants to spread the bankruptcy around.

Uhu DUDE Like DOOOOOOD:anj_stfu:
Are you that asshole that's married to Shrieking Sarah ?

Main Entry: 1boob
Pronunciation: \ˈbüb\
Function: noun
Etymology: short for 1booby
Date: 1907

1 : a stupid awkward person : simpleton
2 : boor, philistine

— boob·ish \ˈbü-bish\ adjective

Consumer debt is consistent
with bankruptcy filings
Research by the Federal Reserve indicates that household debt is at a record high relative to disposable income. Some analysts are concerned that this unprecedented level of debt might pose a risk to the financial health of American households. A high level of indebtedness among households could lead to increased household delinquencies and bankruptcies, which could threaten the health of lenders if loan losses are greater than anticipated. (click on the image to view a larger version)

September 2, 2009, Alexandria, Va.— The 119,874 consumer bankruptcy filings in August represented a 24 percent increase over last year’s monthly total, according to the American Bankruptcy Institute (ABI), relying on data from the National Bankruptcy Research Center (NBKRC). Although an increase over the previous year, the August 2009 consumer filings represented a 5 percent decrease from the July 2009 total of 126,434. Chapter 13 filings constituted 28.3 percent of all consumer cases in August, unchanged from the July rate.

"Consumers are continuing to turn to bankruptcy as a shield from the sustained financial pressures of today’s economy," said ABI Executive Director Samuel J. Gerdano. "As a result, we expect consumer filings to top 1.4 million this year."

While Medical Bills are a factor in Bankrupty filings, I find it somewhat interesting that the bulk of Bankruptcy filings due to credit card debt, mortgage defaults, divorce, etc. are totally ignored.

I also find it somwhat interesting that according to the data presented which is vague at best when you actually read the Harvard Study which by the way was authored by Dr. Steffie Woolhandler and surprise , just happens to be an advocate for "single payer". "Covering the uninsured isn't enough," she said. "Reform also needs to help families who already have insurance by upgrading their coverage and assuring that they never lose it." One aspect of the study cited a vague 2007 study of 29% of credit card debit that could not be measured by people who used it to pay medical bills. In fact at the time of this study there were over 1 million filings in the United States and the survey itself was performed on small data set of 2314 people. While I believe that medical bills are a contributing factor to bankruptcy, it does tend to negate the fact that many Americans have over indulged themselves in the last 10 years and thus find themselves in bankruptcy court. The other comment I have here is, bankruptcy is a good thing people, not a bad thing, it allows people a chance to start over, and perhaps, learn from the mistakes of the past. Sadly, it's not a road that many American businesses were allowed to travel prior to congress taking your tax dollars to prop them up. So if your outraged over the bankruptcy filings due to medical expenses then you should be equally outraged that congress would choose to prop up a company rather than let them travel the same path that these poor individuals did.

Forum List

Back