Medicaid has denied...

Christopher

Aug 7, 2009
...my brother-in-law's health care costs for a bone marrow transplant. My brother-in-law was diagnosed with Acute Mylogenic Leukemia the day after Christmas. He was able to get on Medicaid and they have had all the chemotherapy covered. Now that he is through the chemo, the doctors have said he needs a bone marrow transplant. Unfortunately, the doctors gave him a 60% survival rate which is lower than the needed 70% or greater for Medicaid to cover the transplant.

My question is why do we not hear about when Medicaid denies someone's coverage for something that could save a life, yet if the insurance company does this they are demonized?

Last edited:
While I have no answers, I offer my sympathies to you and your family.

I too have a terminal illness, and pay cash in Mexico for treatment. If I can be of help if your brother in Law decide to seek care in Mexico, let me know. I am 3 hours from Nogales.

Thank you for your kind words and your offer. I really do appreciate it. My sympathies go out to you as well. What is terrible about the situation is that they have two small children and the day he was air-lifted to the cancer center was the same day she found out she was pregnant with their third. Our family is doing all we can to help, we have watched their kids several times and given them some money for bills. I will let you know on your offer.

...my brother-in-law's health care costs for a bone marrow transplant. My brother-in-law was diagnosed with Acute Mylogenic Leukemia the day after Christmas. He was able to get on Medicaid and they have had all the chemotherapy covered. Now that he is through the chemo, the doctors have said he needs a bone marrow transplant. Unfortunately, the doctors gave him a 60% survival rate which is lower than the needed 70% or greater for Medicaid to cover the transplant.

My question is why do we not hear about when Medicaid denies someone's coverage for something that could save a life, yet if the insurance company does this they are demonized?

My sincere sympathies for you and your family in this troubling time.
I really hope everything turns out ok.

And people don't understand that the system is broken....my sincere apologies for our government and their lack of care for the welfare of our own citizens. My prayers are with you and your family during these difficult times.

Forum List

Back