Medicaid Drops Coverage For Mom With Cancer

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Dont Taz Me Bro, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,542
    Strange. I could have sworn this is why we were told the government had to take over health care. I thought only the "evil" insurance companies did this.

2. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    Her income is too high, and undoubtedly her cert period was up. We don't close people's medical until the end of a cert period.

She's one of the people who Obama is going to screw. If she's working, she's going to pay higher taxes, be fined for not purchasing health insurance, and not qualify for the free stuff.

I'm telling you, people are going to quit working. Pretty soon it's going to be really easy to get those low-paying jobs. REALLY easy.

3. Joe Steel

Joe Steel Class Warrior

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Medicaid is run by the states not the federal government. Secondly, Florida is a Republican-controlled state.

There you have it. Republicans and state control; the worst possible combination.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  4. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,830
    Yep.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,542
    That is false. Medicaid is administered by the states, but it receives half its funding from the Federal government and is subject to several Federal guidelines. Regardless, the point is that the government shouldn't be running nor making health care decisions for anybody. If you think it matters whether it's at the national or state level or that it makes any difference which party is in control then you're as big a tool as I suspect. Maybe bigger.

6. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,110
    Jackson Memorial Hospital IS the County Hospital...it says in the hospital, because this procedure is at a high risk of something going wrong is why they will not perform it, without Medicaid.

Apparently there must be some sort of liability for what can go wrong, if the patient is covered by Medicaid.

Jackson Memorial Hospital should just have this woman WAVE her right to sue, if something goes wrong....she is DEAD without the procedure, I bet she would take her chances.....

7. Care4all

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,110
    Jackson Memorial Hospital IS the County Hospital...it says in the article, because this procedure is at a high risk of something going wrong is why they will not perform it, without Medicaid.

Apparently there must be some sort of liability for what can go wrong, if the patient is covered by Medicaid.

Jackson Memorial Hospital should just have this woman WAVE her right to sue, if something goes wrong....she is DEAD without the procedure, I bet she would take her chances.....

8. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    The problem is Social Security is entirely Federal, but Medicaid is administered by the States - and the individual States set the specific income guidelines. Most likely somebody thought they were helping this woman by inquiring at the Social Security office for her, and the Social Security people followed up. The left hand and the right hand don't compare notes. Did the Social Security people know (or care) this would put her over the income limit for MA? Did some caseworker she dealt with at the State office put in an inquiry with SS thinking he or she was doing her a favor? Or was it orchestrated deliberately? I guess anything is possible, but somebody really screwed this woman with incompetence or to score a point. Either way it's horrible.

9. industry7

industry7 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The only reason this woman is alive today and able to complain about the gov't screwing her is b/c the gov't paid for her six months of chemo. If the gov't stayed out of health care like you're saying, she'd already be dead.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  10. Care4all

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,110
    Honestly, that is a pretty good point.