Median household income up

Truthmatters

Diamond Member
May 10, 2007
ECONOMY: U.S. median household income up 4% at end of 2011 | The Daily Times | delmarvanow.com

After falling steadily since the recession began four years ago, household income appeared to turn the corner by rising sharply the last four months of 2011.

Inflation-adjusted median household income increased 4%, from $49,434 to $51,413, from August to December, according to a study released Thursday by Sentier Research. That's the biggest jump since the start of the recession in December 2007, according to an analysis of Labor Department data by the economic research firm.

The rise coincides with stronger job growth, modest wage increases, a longer workweek and easing inflation. "We seem to have had a turning point," says Gordon Green, co-author of the report and a former economist at the U.S. Census Bureau.

Last edited:
That's excellent!
The price of groceries for my family have gone up about 10%.
Gas is rising.
I got the highest ever gas and electric bill for the month of January and I run a tight ship.
I guess that means I'm only 6% in the hole for groceries alone.

That's excellent!
Gas is rising.
I got the highest ever gas and electric bill for the month of January and I run a tight ship.

Yeah, what's up with that? I gotta wonder if it's squeezing down prices in other stuff like BlockBuster prices.

ECONOMY: U.S. median household income up 4% at end of 2011 | The Daily Times | delmarvanow.com

After falling steadily since the recession began four years ago, household income appeared to turn the corner by rising sharply the last four months of 2011.

Inflation-adjusted median household income increased 4%, from $49,434 to $51,413, from August to December, according to a study released Thursday by Sentier Research. That's the biggest jump since the start of the recession in December 2007, according to an analysis of Labor Department data by the economic research firm.

The rise coincides with stronger job growth, modest wage increases, a longer workweek and easing inflation. "We seem to have had a turning point," says Gordon Green, co-author of the report and a former economist at the U.S. Census Bureau.

Idiot.

Heck, when you print a couple trillion dollars and start flinging it all over the place... it ends up somewhere.

Good news is always great.

It does seem a case of too little, too late. It is like the Orchestra conductor on the Titanic seeing the smoke from the Carpathia as the last of the music stands sank beneath the waves.

Your history TM, is rather like the Wolf who kept crying "Shepherd!" The rest of us will believe it when we see it.

well lets see, as of sept 2011 it was down 2.3%

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-09-13/census-household-income/50383882/1

.....so lets see........4-2.3 = *scribble scribble*, take my shoes off 1, 2, 5, 8...*scribble scribble*and ......we are ahead 1.7%:eek:...yea baby, winter of recovvvvvvvery....sweet!!!

The U.S. Census recently released its annual report on household income, according to CNN, and median income has fallen, though only just. Part of the problem is down to declining wages, as overall wages have declined 8.1 percent since 2007 and 8.9 percent since 1999, adjusted for inflation, the peak year for wages historically, as a smaller payday has partially come to be the norm.

Census finds median income declined as did poverty

The U.S. Census recently released its annual report on household income, according to CNN, and median income has fallen, though only just. Part of the problem is down to declining wages, as overall wages have declined 8.1 percent since 2007 and 8.9 percent since 1999, adjusted for inflation, the peak year for wages historically, as a smaller payday has partially come to be the norm.

Census finds median income declined as did poverty

Lost two decades:

US incomes fall to 1989 levels. How did that happen? - CSMonitor.com

US incomes fall to 1989 levels. How did that happen?

A Census report signals that for much of America, the economic downturn has produced not one lost decade but two. But the data also show that federal safety-net programs helped keep people out of poverty.

By Mark Trumbull, Staff writer / September 12, 2012

The typical US household saw its income fall last year to 1989 levels.

That news, contained in a US Census Bureau survey released Wednesday, points to difficult questions of how the US can get back on a track of job growth and rising prosperity.

Median incomes fell 1.5 percent in 2011, while the official poverty rate remained essentially unchanged at 15 percent.

A family right in the middle of the income spectrum had an income of $50,054, which is actually lower than the 1989 median level of $50,624 expressed in 2011 dollars. The implication: For much of America the economy has produced not just one lost decade but two. Stagnation has even hit wealthier and more educated households (the 95th percentile in the Census data) for the past decade.

Why the hard times? And what can be done about it?

Those questions were already urgent before this latest data release. The presidential election campaign is pivoting largely around the economy and what role the government should play in it. This year, since the time period of the Census data, conditions have improved somewhat – with about a million Americans gaining jobs and hourly wages rising about 5 cents an hour. But the unemployment rate remains high, as does economic anxiety, even among people with jobs.

oohh... right.... averaged from the ones who have jobs. That includes your evil 1% averaged into the mix.

That's excellent!
Gas is rising.

4.20 gal reg gas today in upsate new york. Binghamton NY raises taxes over 10% yep we are kicking ass and taking names.

That's excellent!
Gas is rising.

4.20 gal reg gas today in upsate new york. Binghamton NY raises taxes over 10% yep we are kicking ass and taking names.

well, the liberals cant hold hold Barry responsible for what happens during his presidency but of course Bush was responsible for what happened during his presidency.

No one is buying into your bullshit lies.........:9:

That's excellent!
Gas is rising.

well, the liberals cant hold hold Barry responsible for what happens during his presidency but of course Bush was responsible for what happened during his presidency.

Bush is responsible for what happened during obama's presidency!

It's a good thing TM found that report because everyone else believes this one.

Household income is below recession levels, report says - The Washington Post

Forum List

Back