Media Unbalanced On Military

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Sure, "If it bleeds, it leads." But there has been a lot of bleeding, not too mention unbelievable courage. Compelling reading it would make:

http://www1.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2006/06/have_the_msm_ignored_our_heroe.html
    Luckily there are other ways now to get the 'other side' of the story:

http://www.blackfive.net/main/someone_you_should_know/index.html

http://www.army.mil/medalofhonor/smith/

http://www.vetsforfreedom.org/patriots/

2. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    From the article you posted:

Indeed the "war on terror" does require sacrifice, but when that sacrifice is borne solely by the men and women of our military, the equation seems to be a bit unbalanced. After 9/11 Dubbyuh urged us, not to make sacrifices to defend America from the threat of terrorism, but rather to "...Go Shopping...".

As taxes continue to be cut for the wealthiest 1% of Americans, adding billions of dollars to the national debt, while our troops continue to have a nearly $50 billion dollar backlog on equipment requests, as we continue to shop...our blood and treasure continues to be spilled in Iraq...Our young men and women are sent to die on a fool's errand.

If anyone dishonors the heroism and bravery of our men and women in uniform, it is this administration, which offers up "Stay the Course" as its strategy, which is nothing more than empty rhetoric.

America would indeed suffer were it not for the sacrifices made by those rough men who go willingly into harms way, to defend America from the forces of tyranny and oppression that would threaten her. But Iraq posed no imminent threat to America, or her allies...No WMD's were ever found...No reconstituted nuclear weapons program was uncovered...No mobile bioweapon production facilities were ever discovered. Our blood and treasure is being spent recklessly by this administration...war profiteers go unpunished...Any who question administration policy continue to be branded as unpatriotic, defeatist and extermist...And the Administration refuses to admit it error in pursuing an illegal and unjust war of aggression in Iraq.

3. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Horse puckey. I suspect you know that.

4. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Yeah...Cap and Wynton are full of it.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770

Bully, what would you recommend 'the homefront do'? Save tinfoil? Plant victory gardens? The tactics and landscape changed since the first half of the 20th C.

I wonder, have you checked out Soldier's Angels's Valor IT project? http://soldiersangels.org/valour/index.html It's one of many.

Have you written or donated to help with soldier's requests for toys, shoes, glasses, schoolbooks, or funds for surgeries for Iraqi/Afghan children?

Guessing the reply would be '..so the administration has failed again to provide what the troops need...', no. You want 'people' connected, help them connect. Do I think that the government should be promoting the myriad of resources available, yes. Have they? Yes, though perhaps not to the degree they should.

6. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Glad you agree.

7. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708

You will have to do better than that to convince me of your talking points, but then you really aren't trying to convince me of anything, are you.

8. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Don't project your interment/interrogate/confiscate fantasy on me. Why not ration fuel? It would reduce consumption and limit the impact of any interrruption of oil supplies from the Middle East, higher gas taxes would accomplish the same goal. Tax investment income at higher levels and rolling back the fiscally irresponsible tax cuts would have been appropriate as well. It would certainly have helped reduce the amount borrowed from foreign powers to fund this disasterous episode of foreign adventurism. But such actions would have lost Dubbyuh the White House and the GOP control of both houses of Congress in '04. Had that happened we might have actually had most of our troops home by now. Golly!

The Bush tax cuts certainly aren't doing the job. And yes, I have written ny representative in the House and Senate about ensuring adequate funding for equipment and supplies for our troops. Unfortunately, they are both Republicans and are intent on rubber-stamping evey misbegotten, ill-concieved policy that comes out of the Oval Office.

Staying the course with a rational and well though out plan is perfectly acceptable. Unfortunately, the Administration has no plan, either rational or well thought out. As it stands now, all staying the course is doing is getting our men and women in uniform killed. John Murtha's plan, which I support, maintains a US presence in the region, close enough to conduct operations if needed...Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman...already have large US contingents in place, and all are close enough to deploy repid response forces if the Iraqi government requested the assistance.

The only crimnals are in the administration for their reckless, feckless spending of our blood and treasure. Our troops are doing their duty, and doing it with honor and courage, neither of which members of the Bush Administration, with certain exceptions, showed when they had the opportunity to serve thei country in Vietnam, and didn't.

9. Bullypulpit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    I didn't know about the voice activated laptop program, I'll have to follow up oin that one. My wife and I have made donations to Christian Children's Fund, earmarked for medical needs of Iraqi and Afghan children.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    :thup: and whichever ways people choose to support the troops, great! Those are the ways that we are 'connected,' very differently than in the past, but to a large extent, gives more for the troops to use personally or to help with the indigenous people. I don't see this as bad, certainly better than cigarettes or Hershey bars.