Media ridicules "pay-go" rhetoric

Bill Clinton understood that he was the most powerful president ever, because Congress armed him with tools no other President had ever enjoyed and none have since: Line-item veto and Gramm-Rudman. It also helped immensely that back then, Paygo had some actual teeth instead of this garbage the House passed -- which by the way never made it to the Senate, therefore isn't law yet... -- and even if passed is just a toothless mouse in a house full of feral cats.

Obama's simply paying lip service to his massive deficit, because opinion polls and focus groups showed that's an area he needed to pay lip service to. This is how he governs, by polls and focus groups. His approval rating is by far the most important thing to him.

Line item veto was struck down by the Supreme Court.
No shit. So was Gramm-Rudman. What's that got to do with the point I made? It was the law of the land for us to have a balanced budget, and Clinton was given the tools to be able to obey that law.

That those laws were later struck down by DEMS in the SCOTUS, isn't relevant to what Clinton actually had when he had it.

Clinton didn't face the massive economic problems we have today, so it surely isn't clear how he would have handled the current situation. Clinton definitely would have gotten more cooperation from Republicans, that's for sure. As for PAYGO, Bush allowed that to expire in 2002, I believe, knowing full well that as we went to war, there was no way the rules could be met.

Where did he say that what has been going on over the last 8 years wasn't wasteful? The problem with your statement is that President Obama isn't cutting spending on things that are wasteful (heck he's not cutting spending on ANYTHING), he's INCREASING spending on things that are wasteful or didn't you see his latest budget? I thought the Bush Administration and the Republican Congress Critters were the spend happy drunken sailor champs but this Administration and this Congress is doing everything it can to take their title away.

Only 3% of the budget involves Obamas priorities. 10% if you include the stimulus package.

:disbelief: and your point would be?

That its not his priorities which are overwhelming the budget. They are but a small fraction of the overall amount.

I don't think he ever told Wolf Blitzer or anyone else that he would put health care on hold. I recall Blitzer (and others) asking what his top 3 priorities would be, if he had to back-burner some, and he specifically said it would NOT be health care, but probably energy, then education.

Let me give you a heads-up for future reference, Maggie. I don't throw out bullshit that I can't back up.

In an interview with Wolf Blitzer in Des Moines, Iowa, Obama was asked to name his top priority from a list of issues, including taxes, health care, education, energy policy and immigration.

"[The] top priority may not be any of those five. It may be continuing to stabilize the financial system. We don't know yet what's going to happen in January," he said. "None of this can be accomplished if we continue to see a potential meltdown in the banking system and financial system. So that's priority No. 1: making sure the plumbing works."

Obama said priority No. 2 is energy independence:

"We have to seize this moment, because it's not just an energy independence issue; it's also a national security issue, and it's a jobs issue. We can create 5 million new green energy jobs."

Priority No. 3: Health care reform.

Priority No. 4: "Making sure we have tax cuts for the middle class as part of a broader tax reform effort."

Obama later expanded his discussion on how tax cuts relate to a bigger economic plan.

"The tax cut that I talked about may be part of my priority No. 1, because I think that's going to be part of stabilizing the economy as a whole," he said. (Ooops, that just got bumped up ahead of Health Care Reform)

"I think we're going to need a second stimulus. Part of my commitment is to make sure that the stimulus includes a tax cut for 95 percent of working Americans. It may be the first bill I introduce."

Priority No. 5: Reforming the education system.

Now, if Obama hasn't yet accomplished Priority #1, #2 and #3 (which is the new #1b), please tell me how Health Care is on the front burner.

As far as threatening, coercing and blackmailing Congress, with what? When will you whining losers stop with your stupid fucking assumptions?

The Associated Press: Obama says health care changes must come this year

Obama urges senators to get job done on health - Capitol Hill- msnbc.com

Obama to take on health care at town hall - CNN.com

Use your imagination.

Well hell, was that interview conducted when Obama had just won Iowa? Frankly, health care has been his Number One priority for at least a year, but if you want to put a checkmark next to Liberty =1, Maggie =0, that's fine by me. Whatever floats your boat.

Oops, shoulda said ALLBiz. Poor Liberty gets blamed for everything. Sorry.

No shit. So was Gramm-Rudman. What's that got to do with the point I made? It was the law of the land for us to have a balanced budget, and Clinton was given the tools to be able to obey that law.

That those laws were later struck down by DEMS in the SCOTUS, isn't relevant to what Clinton actually had when he had it.

Clinton didn't face the massive economic problems we have today, so it surely isn't clear how he would have handled the current situation. Clinton definitely would have gotten more cooperation from Republicans, that's for sure. As for PAYGO, Bush allowed that to expire in 2002, I believe, knowing full well that as we went to war, there was no way the rules could be met.

just as Obama is touting it, even though we all know it's a farce, to justify all the tax hikes that will be thrust upon us.

Congress could have brought it back any time. And when they finally did, in 2007, it was totally toothless and ineffectual. And still is. Now, it's not only not even a law, it has zero enforcement ability. It's a House "guideline" that also doesn't even affect the Senate.

And it wasn't Booooosh who "allowed it to expire" it was the House. A President cannot just cancel out a law, or let one "expire." That's the legislative branch. They had a timetable to re-up it, and because they couldn't agree on whether to continue to use the old version or a new, toothless one the Dems wanted, which they have now, the law was allowed to expire by the House, with no action.

Paygo is nothing but cheap lip service now, totally worthless as anything other than a demagogue.

Only 3% of the budget involves Obamas priorities. 10% if you include the stimulus package.

That its not his priorities which are overwhelming the budget. They are but a small fraction of the overall amount.

WTF? he's the one that submitted the budget ... are you saying he's only responsible for all the wasteful bullshit he put in that constitutes "his priorities"? what about the rest of the wasteful bullshit in it, was that an act of god or something?

Sealybobo said:
I suspect that if we sat down and were forced, half the shit you want to cut out could be cut and half the shit I think is wasteful probably is too.

And that would probably fix our deficit problems.
Now we're getting somewhere and I'll buy into that comprimise, so what would you cut first ?

Clinton didn't face the massive economic problems we have today, so it surely isn't clear how he would have handled the current situation.
He would have obeyed the law, and used his tools to keep the budget balanced as the law of his time required. He definitely wouldn't have TRIPLED the deficit in only five months, spending more than every other President combined has, in the entire history of the country!
Clinton definitely would have gotten more cooperation from Republicans, that's for sure.
One of Bill Clinton's gifts truly was, like him or not, he knew that good ideas knew no party lines. He knew that a good idea is just that, a good idea, no matter where it came from. It was one of his true, honest virtues.

WTF? he's the one that submitted the budget ... are you saying he's only responsible for all the wasteful bullshit he put in that constitutes "his priorities"? what about the rest of the wasteful bullshit in it, was that an act of god or something?

Sealybobo said:
I suspect that if we sat down and were forced, half the shit you want to cut out could be cut and half the shit I think is wasteful probably is too.

Now we're getting somewhere and I'll buy into that comprimise, so what would you cut first ?

Well me, I would cut all the wastful military spending. And I'd cut Haloburton/Blackwater/KBR off at the knees. No bid contracts my ass.

As for on the liberal spending, anything that isn't vital. Like that Airport to knowhere

Slublog: Airport to Nowhere, Part II?

Or some of this:

$2 billion earmark to re-start FutureGen, a near-zero emissions coal power plant in Illinois that the Department of Energy defunded last year because it said the project was inefficient.
A $246 million tax break for Hollywood movie producers to buy motion picture film.
$650 million for the digital television converter box coupon program.
$88 million for the Coast Guard to design a new polar icebreaker (arctic ship).
$448 million for constructing the Department of Homeland Security headquarters.
$248 million for furniture at the new Homeland Security headquarters
$400 million for the Centers for Disease Control to screen and prevent STD's.
$1.4 billion for rural waste disposal programs.
$125 million for the Washington sewer system.
$150 million for Smithsonian museum facilities.
$1 billion for the 2010 Census, which has a projected cost overrun of $3 billion.
$75 million for "smoking cessation activities."
$25 million for tribal alcohol and substance abuse reduction.
$10 million to inspect canals in urban areas.
$500 million for state and local fire stations.
$650 million for wildland fire management on forest service lands.
$1.2 billion for "youth activities," including youth summer job programs.
$88 million for renovating the headquarters of the Public Health Service.
$412 million for CDC buildings and property.
$500 million for building and repairing National Institutes of Health facilities in Bethesda, Maryland.
$160 million for "paid volunteers" at the Corporation for National and Community Service.
$850 million for Amtrak.
$100 million for reducing the hazard of lead-based paint.
$75 million to construct a "security training" facility for State Department Security officers when they can be trained at existing facilities of other agencies.
$110 million to the Farm Service Agency to upgrade computer systems.

Some of this sounds like crap.

Sealybobo said:

Well me, I would cut all the wastful military spending. And I'd cut Haloburton/Blackwater/KBR off at the knees. No bid contracts my ass.

As for on the liberal spending, anything that isn't vital. Like that Airport to knowhere

Or some of this:

$2 billion earmark to re-start FutureGen, a near-zero emissions coal power plant in Illinois that the Department of Energy defunded last year because it said the project was inefficient.
A $246 million tax break for Hollywood movie producers to buy motion picture film.
$1 billion for the 2010 Census, which has a projected cost overrun of $3 billion.
$500 million for building and repairing National Institutes of Health facilities in Bethesda, Maryland.
$160 million for "paid volunteers" at the Corporation for National and Community Service.
$850 million for Amtrak.
$75 million to construct a "security training" facility for State Department Security officers when they can be trained at existing facilities of other agencies.

Now you're talking.

Riddle me this: Which number is bigger:

999,821 million
-or-
1.2 trillion

Clinton was given Daddy Bush's recession and handed Bush 2 a surplus.

Sealybobo said:

Well me, I would cut all the wastful military spending.

We're in agreement then, first thing I'd cut is the military as well, specifically abdicate our role of global cop, roll back the empire, extricate ourselves from entangling alliances (like NATO) and restructure our military as a defensive only force. I haven't worked out the numbers but I'm confident I could knock it down to 40% of what it is today without compromising our ability to defend ourselves and fulfill our obligations to our veterans in a way that they deserve too boot.

The next items to get the axe would be the department of education, DHS, the IRS and the federal reserve, but that's a whole 'nother topic. ;)

Or some of this:

$850 million for Amtrak.

Now you're talking.

999,821 million
-or-
1.2 trillion

Is that with or without inflation?

And did you count the 2 trillion that the Federal Reserve loaned out last year to the bankers BEFORE the $750 billion? I don't think you are counting that number in, and neither did Bush.

Hell, I don't even think Bush counted Iraq in his numbers. He called that supplimental.

Obama is counting that in his numbers. Are you considering that?

This isn't apples to apples. I wish Obama would do it the way Bush did, but it was so dishonest. BUT, it gives idiots like you an opportunity to lie and later claim ignorance. And you'll continue the lie and I'll get sick of repeating myself. Sound familiar mr. projectionist?

Clinton was given Daddy Bush's recession and handed Bush 2 a surplus.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bush41 had a Dem Congress throughout. Clinton had a Republican one for his last six years.

Remember, put the blame and the credit where it really goes, on Congress. The President has very little actual power. Except for Clinton of course, who had more powers than any other President has had before or since. Because his Republican Congress gave it to him.

Well me, I would cut all the wastful military spending.

We're in agreement then, first thing I'd cut is the military as well, specifically abdicate our role of global cop, roll back the empire, extricate ourselves from entangling alliances (like NATO) and restructure our military as a defensive only force. I haven't worked out the numbers but I'm confident I could knock it down to 40% of what it is today without compromising our ability to defend ourselves and fulfill our obligations to our veterans in a way that they deserve too boot.

The next items to get the axe would be the department of education, DHS, the IRS and the federal reserve, but that's a whole 'nother topic. ;)

I completely agree.

I just don't want to end all the programs you want to end, like social security, medicare and welfare for people who really need it, but if we can agree on eliminating half the shit you want to get rid of, that will be great progress.

Midnight said:

999,821 million
-or-
1.2 trillion
Is that with or without inflation?
It's a simple math question, just answer it.

Clearly it is not. One factor is that Bush's number doesn't count the wars, and Obama's does. 2, inflation matters.

Yea, you called the shot. Like if I were at half court and called, MISS!!!

Forum List

Back