Media Matters petition: Hate has no place on the airwaves

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Stephanie, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    Ah yes... Of course this is only for conservative speakers. They dont say anything about their hate filled speakers or the lame stream media.... OH NO... It's those hateful Republicans :rotflmao:

Media Matters for America has taken the bull by the horns and started a petition to get hate-spewers like Ann Coulter, Melanie Morgan and Glenn Beck off the air. These people have absolutely nothing to offer and are somehow consistently allowed to do things like, in Coulter's most recent meltdowns, say that people like Congressman John Murtha (D-PA) should be "fired" or that New York Times staff should be "executed."

Here's Media Matters:

"Recently, the major television networks have given a platform to conservative hate merchants like Ann Coulter, Glenn Beck, and Melanie Morgan.

"Coulter's column is distributed by Universal Press Syndicate, one of the country's largest syndicates. Beck was recently hired by CNN Headline News. Morgan broadcasts from a radio station owned by Disney. And all three -- and countless others like them -- are regularly given guest spots on cable-news networks.

"The fact that these right-wing pundits -- who have called for the execution of public officials and others -- are given a platform in the major media is unprecedented.

"We, the undersigned, urge the media to stop allowing these hate merchants to spread their venom and abuse. America deserves to hear honest, reasoned debate, not rants from professional hatemongers." (here's some hate from a little ole redneck citizen of these good old United States.. Media Matters:suck: :D

Join me and Media Matters in saying "no more" to this garbage from people who talk of decency but display so little themselves.
    http://mediamatters.org/

2. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Glenn Beck, LMAO!!! My god they don't get the joke do they. He calls himself a hatemonger constantly mocking liberal idiots. The guy is purposely sarcastic and is 99% of the time making fun of liberal idiots with their own words and beliefs.

More evidence by the way of the "Free Speech" that liberals love so much.

This line is the best though.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Now where have i heard the calling for deaths of public officials lately? Hmmm i can think of about a dozen people ive personally met that have called for Bush, cheney, rumsfield, Condi's death in the last month. I can think of about 20 to 30 writers and TV hosts that have doen the same in jest over the past 6 years. I cant recall Beck ever calling for the execution of a public official though. I do listen to his show almost everyday and i can say that he has never called for someone to die, except of course maybe the Iranian president and Saddam and the leader of Hamas, etc.

3. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Gotta' love how the left is the self-proclaimed defenders of free speech; yet, will turn right around and attempt to stifle all points of view in opposition to theirs.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

4. KatarinaZ

KatarinaZ Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Perhaps we should eliminate the hate speakers on both sides. I would love to lock Ms. Coulter and Mr. Moore in a room and force them to talk with each other.

5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Why? This may come as a strange idea to you, but the US Constitution guarantees their right to freedom of speech whether or not you or I or anyone else agrees with it.

6. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    Free Speech Katrina means freedom to speak your mind without punishment from the government. If these companies are hiring these people (Coulter, Moore, etc) its because they feel that they can make them money. If they reach a time where they feel that their speech will cost them more money than they will make, then they will end their contracts with these politcial speakers. Till then, the people speak with ratings and ratings make money for TV, movie and radio execs.

For example, Dixie chicks are a country music band yet they proceeded to bash all rednecks and red staters. Who is the majority of country music fans? Rednecks in red states. So its no wonder why the Dixie Chicks album and concert sales have gone into the crapper everywhere except Canada and liberal cities like SF and Philly. Capitalism at its finest.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    Let's boil this petition down to its essence:

"The only hope for survival the liberal ideology possesses is a monopoly on the dissemination of information. We should be free to advance our cause without fear of some unenlightened conservative laughing aloud in derision. How are we going to better society when any fool sitting at a computer in his pajamas can expose the bankruptcy of our ideas? It wasn't supposed to turn out like this. Open discourse is hurting us. It's KILLING us. PLEASE make it stop!"

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. Stephanie

Stephanie Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,359
    E-X-A-C-T-L-Y
    :rotflmao:

9. Democrat4Bush

Democrat4Bush Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The whole purpose of this right is to protect the speech of someone you don't agree with.

I don't agree with alot of stuff I hear on TV and radio, so I exercise my rights by changing the channel.

10. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    I bet Ms. Coulter could whup Mr. Moore's butt with one hand tied behind her back.