Media Matters Caught Context-Editing a Tape — Hey, Where Have We Heard That Before?

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
my my, frist Thinkprogess now Mediamatters...tsk tsk

SNIP:
By Doug Powers • August 7, 2010 10:13 AM **Written by Doug Powers

Media Matters was all about getting the “full context” of Andrew Breitbart’s Shirley Sherrod video from day one. From that controversy, everybody walked away with a good refresher course in the importance of “full context” in the name of honest debate — everybody except Media Matters.

From Media-Ite by way of Sister Toldjah:

Let’s end the week with some Shirley Sherrod-ing – editing a clip to make it sound like a person is saying something that is actually the complete opposite of what they’re saying.

In this case, the offender is Media Matters, which tries to prove that Glenn Beck’s radio co-hosts were saying Keith Olbermann was responsible for the deadly Manchester workplace shooting.
Here was Media Matters’ (sic’ed) headline: “Beck sidekicks Gray and Burguiere: Keith Olberman and media responsible for Manchester shooting.”

The sidekicks are Pat Gray and Stu Burguiere, who co-hosted with Beck out today. And why did Media Matters write this? Well, because that is what Gray and Burguiere said – at first. Gray: “Obviously Keith Olbermann is responsible for those eight people dead.”

And Burguiere: “A guy like that who’s a little bit unstable anyway can’t help but react to the constant pressure of Keith Olbermann on the air on MSNBC and all of MSNBC talking about all the racism there is out there.”

But the problem is, the co-hosts were being sarcastic, to make a point. A minute later they get serious, and Stu says “Keith Olbermann was not responsible for any shooting,” but that part is conveniently out of the Media Matters audio. Because Media Matters cut the audio right before they make it clear.
Media Matters issued a correction and altered the title when their attempted Sherrodding of Beck’s people was discovered:

CORRECTION: The original headline on this clip did not make clear that Beck’s co-hosts were being satirical when they linked MSNBC host Keith Olbermann to the Manchester shooting. The original clip also did not include their subsequent statements that Olbermann was not responsible for the shooting. Media Matters regrets the error.
Even without the “full context” of the recording it was painfully obvious that Burguiere and Gray were being sarcastic, but this is where Media Matters often gets tripped up.

read the rest at.
Michelle Malkin Media Matters Caught Context-Editing a Tape — Hey, Where Have We Heard That Before?

Yup Media Matters is guilty of doing some of the same scummy crap people like Breitbart do. The difference I noticed here is that when caught Media Matters didn't continue to dig a deeper hole.

On a lighter note, I love that "to Sherrod" has now become a part of today's political vernacular.

the only reason mediamatters corrected itself is, THEY GOT CAUGHT.

Mediamatter should NEVER BE BELIEVED AGAIN, as with Thinkprogess.

I think we should look at the edited, out of context video and fire anyone in the Obama administration who is in it. Precedent has been set you know.

I take everything Media Matters says with a grain of salt until it is substantiated by a more reliable source.

My gut reaction, Mediamatters needs to make full disclosure and fire the person who made the alleged decision to mislead the public, if there is sufficient evidence to prove intent.
My other reacton is to yawn. It is policy for Fox 'News' to mislead the public, or else, they are the most incompetent organization on the airways; watch "Outfoxed" for visual and auditory evidence.

Then I take you feel Breibart should never be believed again either, Stephanie?

Actually, I'm sick and tired of "news personalities" advancing their own agendas. Time was, a person's credibility and integrity was his or her stock in trade in the news biz. Now it seems everyone laughs, shouts, gets sarcastic -- and twists things to suit their point. I guess this is what most Americans want anymore...but I'd appreciate just getting the news, and leaving commentary to the Sunday Morning Talking Head shows.

Forum List

Back