Media, how biased are they???

Discussion in 'Media' started by BOBO, Jun 30, 2011.

1. BOBO

BOBO The Magnificent!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +57
    From a scale of one to ten with 1 being minimally biased, & 10 being 'bought & paid for', what is your numerical pick for bias? I realize that bias exists in all the Major Managed News Media(MMNM) but at what level?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,982
    "Bias" in media is a ridiculous concept to begin with.

These are private companies. They can do whatever they like - and being massive corporations, they're doing everything to maximize profits for their stockholders. They're all "biased" - they're biased towards whatever will bring in the most cash.

The idea of a giant left-wing conspiracy flies in the face of all logic when those same "biased" media companies are subject to the control of their shareholders - who are not all "liberals".

If there is a "liberal bias" in the media, it's only because that's what makes the most money. If CBS wasn't bringing in EVERY CENT that it could, the CEO would be tossed out, and replaced with someone else - and the only way any political "bias" is shown would be because that's what was making the most money.

3. LoVE

LoVE Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    media matters is a biased source of news .. in fact it gets funds from the feds and also a tax exempt status to go after Fox news

David Brock, the conservative turned liberal advocate, has recently garnered a considerable amount of press coverage for his attacks on Fox News for, among many other things, allegedly taking over leadership of the Republican Party. What the news coverage has ignored is his use of tax-free funds for his organization, Media Matters for America (MMA), for these attacks — a form of government support for activities that clearly do not merit tax-exempt status and that as a result infringe on Fox News’ First Amendment rights.

Media Matters Uses Tax-Free Funds to Attack Fox News - By Nat Brown - Media Blog - National Review Online

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Lumpy 1

Lumpy 1 Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,869
    Only a liberal would deny the existence of, "liberal bias"...

I would say MSNBC would easily be a 10.. all that lip smacking of Obama.. Pelosi and Reids hindquarters is pathetically obvious but still I find them quite humorous...

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618
    Main Stream Media?

100%.

6. B. Kidd

B. Kidd Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,920
    All I know is that on 'Morning Joe' yesterday, they were positively comparing Obama to JFK. Thought someone spiked my coffee with a hallucinogen.

7. tonystewart1

tonystewart1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Its simple the media is bought and paid for. Its a for profit industry like McDonalds. They are only going to report what sells and report it in a fashion that sells the most. Thank goodness for my brain. I can take info in evaluate it and decide for myself.

8. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    The media is a corporate media.

9. signelect

signelect BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +216
    If you watch TV for the news you are delusional, it is not happening. Listen to Matt on the Today show for example, he looks good but real news is not a talent he possess. The talk show people make no pretense that they report the news, they are very bias and doing the same thing to Obama that they screamed about with Bush. What a load of crap. I am conservative but Rush and Glen Beck are so far right that they will never find their way back.

10. MarcATL

MarcATL Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,755
    They have a hardcore Big Business, Corporate bias.

Great thread OP!

:clap2: