Meanwhile, in fdr's Concentration Camps....

H? I am waiting. I google this, I hear summaries of PM Abe's speech, and nobody as of yet concures with you. His speech was, by most lights, a weak anti war speech, not a rousing and emotional "JAPAN and/or it's leadership hardily and sincerely deeply regrets our past military transgressions that precipitated WWII". No, what did he apologize for, again? What?

H
I know a couple of folks that were confined in those so called "interment Camps" during the war. Is that surprising? I don't know FDRs mindset, but he was forced into it by popular demand. The zeitgeist of the time demanded it. Japan kind of pissed off a LOT of people with the Attack on Pearl Harbor...not that that was any excuse to lock up anyone or take away their homes or business and put them in gulags, either. But what is done is done....After 9/11, we aren't doing the same to Muslims, so perhaps things are different now?

We don't dare to accuse the FDR administration of the most egregious violation of human rights, not to mention Constitutional law in U.S. history because "what's done is done"? Surely you FDR defenders must be smarter than that. Maybe pop-culture educated idiots are confused about capturing the enemy on the battlefield or convicting Muslems in a court of law but the U.S never did to Muslems what FDR did to the Japanese and it is insulting to even suggest it.
Relax, I hear what you are saying. It wasn't FDR's fault a large vocal group of Americans that were angry at the Japanese. Its still boggles my mind that that Italians or Germans weren't treated to the same level of hospitality... But still, I don't fully comprehend the reasoning behind Japanese internment camps. But what are we going to do about it? It's done. And speaking of WWII, today is the 70th anniversary of the defeat of Japan. And their leader WILL NOT apologize for starting the bloody thing. So whos is in denial here?
The Japanese PM Abe did everything BUT apologize.I am looking it up, and nothing. Tap danced around. Not that it would help much. Sorry for starting a war that killed millions, SORRY. Opps. America may have unjustifiably locked up Japanese civilians, but we didn't murder them, as the Imperial Japanese Army killed countless innocent Chinese and forced Korean and other women as sex slaves for their soldiers. Unit 731 would have made Mengle proud. Sorry, Abe did NOT apologize.

He did apologize.
H
I know a couple of folks that were confined in those so called "interment Camps" during the war. Is that surprising? I don't know FDRs mindset, but he was forced into it by popular demand. The zeitgeist of the time demanded it. Japan kind of pissed off a LOT of people with the Attack on Pearl Harbor...not that that was any excuse to lock up anyone or take away their homes or business and put them in gulags, either. But what is done is done....After 9/11, we aren't doing the same to Muslims, so perhaps things are different now?

We don't dare to accuse the FDR administration of the most egregious violation of human rights, not to mention Constitutional law in U.S. history because "what's done is done"? Surely you FDR defenders must be smarter than that. Maybe pop-culture educated idiots are confused about capturing the enemy on the battlefield or convicting Muslems in a court of law but the U.S never did to Muslems what FDR did to the Japanese and it is insulting to even suggest it.
Relax, I hear what you are saying. It wasn't FDR's fault a large vocal group of Americans that were angry at the Japanese. Its still boggles my mind that that Italians or Germans weren't treated to the same level of hospitality... But still, I don't fully comprehend the reasoning behind Japanese internment camps. But what are we going to do about it? It's done. And speaking of WWII, today is the 70th anniversary of the defeat of Japan. And their leader WILL NOT apologize for starting the bloody thing. So whos is in denial here?

He did apologize.
Your source, please.

"“On the 70th anniversary of the end of the war, I bow my head deeply before the souls of all those who perished both at home and abroad,”

“I express my feelings of profound grief and my eternal, sincere condolences.”

“We have engraved in our hearts the histories of suffering of the people in Asia as our neighbors: those in Southeast Asian countries such as Indonesia and the Philippines, and Taiwan, the Republic of Korea and China, among others,”

“We must never forget that there were women behind the battlefields whose honor and dignity were severely injured,”

"Upon the innocent people did our country inflict immeasurable
damage and suffering. History is harsh. What is done cannot be
undone. Each and every one of them had his or her life, dream, and
beloved family. When I squarely contemplate this obvious fact, even
now, I find myself speechless and my heart is rent with the utmost
grief."

"Japan has repeatedly expressed the feelings of deep remorse and
heartfelt apology for its actions during the war...Such position articulated by the previous cabinets will remain
unshakable into the future."

The internment camps were wrong.

However, the times were such that something like this was no real surprise. First, there was the sneak attack on Pear Harbor, before a declaration of war, which was unprecedented in the USA by a civilized country. Second, and perhaps more serious, was the fact that Japan never signed the Geneva Convention, which, to their way of thinking, allowed the Japanese to do anything they wanted to do with prisoners of war. I suspect that the internment camps was an ill conceived plan to hold them hostage, in hopes that they would treat our captured better. Of course, it had no impact. The USA was also deeply concerned about spying, especially on the West Coast, where for almost a year after the war began, it was seriously considered an invasion target by the Japanese. However, I am at a loss as to why these people were still held, even after a Japanese-American battle unit was dispatched to Italy, where they became the most decorated unit in WW2. It would seem to me, that, their willingness to serve was proof enough of their loyalty.

First, there was the sneak attack on Pear Harbor, before a declaration of war, which was unprecedented in the USA by a civilized country. ....

????????????

I'm not sure that I know what your question is, but the Japanese declaration of war was delivered after the attack had begun, because of various delays experienced by the Japanese diplomats in delivering it. If they had delivered it half an hour earlier, it would not have made anything better for the USA, but, at least the Japanese would have been able to claim that they declared war before attacking. It was a major psychological blunder on their part.

First, there was the sneak attack on Pear Harbor, before a declaration of war, which was unprecedented in the USA by a civilized country. ....

????????????

I'm not sure that I know what your question is, but the Japanese declaration of war was delivered after the attack had begun, because of various delays experienced by the Japanese diplomats in delivering it. If they had delivered it half an hour earlier, it would not have made anything better for the USA, but, at least the Japanese would have been able to claim that they declared war before attacking. It was a major psychological blunder on their part.

The fighting of almost every war began before an official declaration thereof.

japs sneak attack was finally met with good force when the japs lost Nagasaki and Hiroshima and were forced to surrender unconditionally ' unkatore' .

so no big deal , japs started the war , japs lost the war in pretty spectacular fashion . I sure don't want an apology as that's just weasel words , politically correct words and I have no use for that kinda apology no matter if it was given or not given 'unkatore' .

Some people have trouble with spelling, others have trouble with a lack of character.

????????????

It had never happened involving the United states of American before. Frankly, it was a pretty effective move on the part of the Japanese, but it unified the US to a single common outrage.

????????????

It had never happened involving the United states of American before.

Of course it had.

????????????

Of course it had.

Would that have been the War of 1812,The Mexican War, the Spanish/American War, or WW1?

????????????

Of course it had.

Would that have been the War of 1812,The Mexican War, the Spanish/American War, or WW1?

Yes. Congratulations on your Google.

Brilliant! More politicical obfuscation. He in no way admits to Japan's culpability, let alone apologizes for ACTULY starting the war. No one in the media or anywhere else buys that as an "apology". Wrong. As usual. You never cease to amaze me to what level BS you will espouse as truth

Brilliant! More politicical obfuscation. He in no way admits to Japan's culpability, let alone apologizes for ACTULY starting the war. No one in the media or anywhere else buys that as an "apology". Wrong. As usual. You never cease to amaze me to what level BS you will espouse as truth

Read the quotes, instead of merely posting prepared comments reflecting your prejudice.

Fix the quotes? Japan started WII Fix the quot

Read the quotes, instead of merely posting prepared comments reflecting your prejudice.
You mean submit to your viewpoint, as a martial artist, you want your opponent to submit. You use any tactic you can to overcome your opponent. I would hope I would stand against putting Japanese in camps if I had lived at the time (people did, ya know) and that pitiful excuse of a speech Abe made won't make up for anything. Japan was wrong , and you damned well know it.

Fix the quotes? Japan started WII Fix the quot

Japan was wrong , and you damned well know it.

Abe would not disagree with you.

Forum List

Back