Meanwhile, in fdr's Concentration Camps....

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
Battling fascism and oppression around the world, and that villain fdr was building concentration camps right here in the US.

Survivor recalls life in internment camp for Japanese-Americans Japan Today Japan News and Discussion

http://www.japantoday.com/category/...ul-truths-about-japanese-american-internment/

"Attempting escape, resisting orders, and treason were all punishable by death in internment camps. Guards would face little consequence for killing without just cause.

A mentally ill man in his mid-forties, Ichiro Shimoda, was shot trying to escape in 1942. He’d attempted suicide twice since entering the camp, and the guards were well aware of his mental illness. That same year, two Californians were killed during an alleged escape attempt from the Lourdsburg, New Mexico camp. It was later revealed that Hirota Isomura and Toshiro Kobata were both extremely weak upon arrival—too weak to walk, much less escape.

A handful of guards went to court for their wrongdoings but with disappointing results. One guard was tried for the 1943 murder of an elderly chef named James Hatsuki Wakasa. He was found not guilty. Private Bernard Goe was also tried after killing Shoichi James Okamoto. Goe was acquitted and fined for unauthorized use of government property. The amount: $1—the cost of the bullet used to kill the victim."

"Today, we call them”internment camps.” A more accurate term would be “concentration camps.” They were called exactly that by then-President Roosevelt as he confidently endorsed them. The name “enemy alien internment camps” was also used to describe these centers.

The modern wording stems from how they weren’t the vicious death campsexperienced in Europe, which is how most people view concentration camps today. Internees enjoyed weddings, gardening, painting, sports, clubs, and even newspapers. There were no gas chambers. Inmates were not doomed to genocide.

Still, “internment camp” doesn’t do justice to the horrors experienced within them. Japanese Americans were uprooted from their homes and treated like criminals. They experienced enormous loss. They suffered great physical and emotional trauma. A racial minority was concentrated in specific areas for the security of the nation, imprisoned in deplorable conditions, and stripped of their dignity. They were living in concentration camps."

In December 1944 Public Proclamation number 21, which became effective in January 1945, allowed internees to return to their homes. The effects of internment affected all those involved. Some saw the camps as concentration camps and a violation of the writ of Habeas Corpus, others though, saw internment as a necessary result of Pearl Harbor. At the end of the war some remained in the US and rebuilt their lives, others though were unforgiving and returned to Japan.

From historyonthenet

There were more than 140,000 white prisoners in Japanese prisoner of war camps. Of these, one in three died from starvation, work, punishments or from diseases for which there were no medicines to treat.

Prisoners of the Japanese found themselves in camps in Japan, Taiwan, Singapore and other Japanese-occupied countries.

Prisoner of war camps in Japan housed both capture military personnel and civilians who had been in the East before the outbreak of war.

Almost 47,000 of 140,000 died in Japanese camps. 1862 died in US internment camps of 120,000.

The US government suppressed for months the first eyewitness accounts of the 1942 Bataan death march in the Philippines on which so many captured American GIs perished, and news of the beheadings of shot-down aircrew.

Read more: Beheaded at whim and worked to death Japan s repugnant treatment of Allied PoWs Daily Mail Online
039japanbeheading_468x620.jpg

The Japanese maltreated captives as a matter of policy, not necessity. The casual sadism was so widespread, that it must be considered institutional.

There were so many arbitrary beheadings, clubbings and bayonetings that it is impossible to dismiss these as unauthorised initiatives by individual officers and men.

I don't condone the internment camps, but I also was not alive to hear of the beheadings, etc. of our men over in Japan. I do know the rage I have felt of those beheaded and burned alive by ISIS.

Battling fascism and oppression around the world, and that villain fdr was building concentration camps right here in the US.

Survivor recalls life in internment camp for Japanese-Americans Japan Today Japan News and Discussion

http://www.japantoday.com/category/...ul-truths-about-japanese-american-internment/

"Attempting escape, resisting orders, and treason were all punishable by death in internment camps. Guards would face little consequence for killing without just cause.

A mentally ill man in his mid-forties, Ichiro Shimoda, was shot trying to escape in 1942. He’d attempted suicide twice since entering the camp, and the guards were well aware of his mental illness. That same year, two Californians were killed during an alleged escape attempt from the Lourdsburg, New Mexico camp. It was later revealed that Hirota Isomura and Toshiro Kobata were both extremely weak upon arrival—too weak to walk, much less escape.

A handful of guards went to court for their wrongdoings but with disappointing results. One guard was tried for the 1943 murder of an elderly chef named James Hatsuki Wakasa. He was found not guilty. Private Bernard Goe was also tried after killing Shoichi James Okamoto. Goe was acquitted and fined for unauthorized use of government property. The amount: $1—the cost of the bullet used to kill the victim."
As the most famous jap I know george tekai says, "oh my"

Have you heard how the japs Russians and German treated their prisoners?

I understand those were Americans but they were also the enemy. America wasn't as liberal and tolerant as it is now. Today we don't lock up Arabs but we do monitor non Americans phones and emails. Hell, they probably spy on all of us.

If Arabs started suicide bombing in America I wonder how we would react. How would you?

As the most famous jap I know george tekai says, "oh my"

Have you heard how the japs Russians and German treated their prisoners?

I understand those were Americans but they were also the enemy. America wasn't as liberal and tolerant as it is now. Today we don't lock up Arabs but we do monitor non Americans phones and emails. Hell, they probably spy on all of us.

If Arabs started suicide bombing in America I wonder how we would react. How would you?

And at the time we didn't know which nips would do what

Some of the Japanese were legal immigrants and most were American citizens imprisoned because of their ethnicity and it was done under a freaking executive order. It can never be defended but you could almost understand the strategy if all Japanese were incarcerated including Hawaii which was the hotbed for espionage but the Japanese on Hawaii were needed to make coffee for the Navy Admirals so they were not investigated much less imprisoned. That leads us to the actual intent of the order. FDR was a sick man in his 3rd and 4th terms. He may even have suffered a series of strokes which the administration kept secret. So why were Japanese in California targeted for concentration camps while Japanese Americans in the rest of the Country were free? You could make an argument that the FDR administration was filled with sick racist bigots or you could consider that FDR paid back his democrat party real estate speculator supporters in California by forcing the Japanese to sell off their property within 60 days.

Stage one.....Plantations
Stage two.....Reservations
Stage three....Internment camps
Stage four.....FEMA camps

Can you really NOT see the progression of slavery?

How long have you been locked up in your FEMA camp?

Almost 47,000 of 140,000 died in Japanese camps. 1862 died in US internment camps of 120,000.

Excellent point.

There is no comparison between American and Axis concentration camps when it comes to conditions or how the prisoners were treated.

But- our own concentration camps were wrong- and luckily the United States is mature enough that we recognized that eventually and apologized, and paid reparations to the survivors.

A bit of history that should not be forgotten or repeated.

I know a couple of folks that were confined in those so called "interment Camps" during the war. Is that surprising? I don't know FDRs mindset, but he was forced into it by popular demand. The zeitgeist of the time demanded it. Japan kind of pissed off a LOT of people with the Attack on Pearl Harbor...not that that was any excuse to lock up anyone or take away their homes or business and put them in gulags, either. But what is done is done....After 9/11, we aren't doing the same to Muslims, so perhaps things are different now?

Last edited:
I know a couple of folks that were confined in those so called "interment Camps" during the war. Is that surprising? I don't know FDRs mindset, but he was forced into it by popular demand. The zeitgeist of the time demanded it. Japan kind of pissed off a LOT of people with the Attack on Pearl Harbor...not that that was any excuse to lock up anyone or take away their homes or business and put them in gulags, either. But what is done is done....After 9/11, we aren't doing the same to Muslims, so perhaps things are different now?

We don't dare to accuse the FDR administration of the most egregious violation of human rights, not to mention Constitutional law in U.S. history because "what's done is done"? Surely you FDR defenders must be smarter than that. Maybe pop-culture educated idiots are confused about capturing the enemy on the battlefield or convicting Muslems in a court of law but the U.S never did to Muslems what FDR did to the Japanese and it is insulting to even suggest it.

We don't dare to accuse the FDR administration of the most egregious violation of human rights, not to mention Constitutional law in U.S. history because "what's done is done"? Surely you FDR defenders must be smarter than that. Maybe pop-culture educated idiots are confused about capturing the enemy on the battlefield or convicting Muslems in a court of law but the U.S never did to Muslems what FDR did to the Japanese and it is insulting to even suggest it.
Relax, I hear what you are saying. It wasn't FDR's fault a large vocal group of Americans that were angry at the Japanese. Its still boggles my mind that that Italians or Germans weren't treated to the same level of hospitality... But still, I don't fully comprehend the reasoning behind Japanese internment camps. But what are we going to do about it? It's done. And speaking of WWII, today is the 70th anniversary of the defeat of Japan. And their leader WILL NOT apologize for starting the bloody thing. So whos is in denial here?

H

Relax, I hear what you are saying. It wasn't FDR's fault a large vocal group of Americans that were angry at the Japanese. Its still boggles my mind that that Italians or Germans weren't treated to the same level of hospitality... But still, I don't fully comprehend the reasoning behind Japanese internment camps. But what are we going to do about it? It's done. And speaking of WWII, today is the 70th anniversary of the defeat of Japan. And their leader WILL NOT apologize for starting the bloody thing. So whos is in denial here?

He did apologize.

H

The Japanese PM Abe did everything BUT apologize.I am looking it up, and nothing. Tap danced around. Not that it would help much. Sorry for starting a war that killed millions, SORRY. Opps. America may have unjustifiably locked up Japanese civilians, but we didn't murder them, as the Imperial Japanese Army killed countless innocent Chinese and forced Korean and other women as sex slaves for their soldiers. Unit 731 would have made Mengle proud. Sorry, Abe did NOT apologize.

He did apologize.

H

The Japanese PM Abe did everything BUT apologize.I am looking it up, and nothing. Tap danced around. Not that it would help much. Sorry for starting a war that killed millions, SORRY. Opps. America may have unjustifiably locked up Japanese civilians, but we didn't murder them, as the Imperial Japanese Army killed countless innocent Chinese and forced Korean and other women as sex slaves for their soldiers. Unit 731 would have made Mengle proud. Sorry, Abe did NOT apologize.

He did apologize.
H

He did apologize.
Your source, please.

Forum List

Back