Meaningless Words in Politics

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
As we enter the fall political season, we will hear a great deal of rhetoric from both major political parties and their many candidates for office. It’s important for us to remember, however, that words can be made meaningless by misuse or overuse. And when we as citizens allow politicians to obscure the truth by distorting words, we diminish ourselves and our nation.

For example, we’ve all heard politicians use the words “democracy” and “freedom” countless times. They are used interchangeably in modern political discourse, yet their true meanings are very different. They have become what George Orwell termed “meaningless words”. Words like “freedom,” “democracy,” and “justice,” Orwell explained, have been abused for so long that their original meanings have been eviscerated. In Orwell’s view, such words were “often used in a consciously dishonest way.”

The most important part is where Paul says:

If we intend to use the word freedom in an honest way, we should have the simple integrity to give it real meaning: Freedom is living without government coercion. So when a politician talks about freedom or liberty--regardless of the issue being discussed-- ask yourself whether he is advocating more government force or less.

'Statesman'

It'd be great if you could keep your trash confined to the garbage dump of a thread it's already in, and not try to hijack another one.

I postuled that 'stateman' was one of those meaningless political words as well.

Maybe you only wanted to limit the discussion to the couple of words of your choosing?

No, you wanted to troll this thread with the same crap you're trolling in another thread.

'Statesman'

It'd be great if you could keep your trash confined to the garbage dump of a thread it's already in, and not try to hijack another one.

I postuled that 'stateman' was one of those meaningless political words as well.

Maybe you only wanted to limit the discussion to the couple of words of your choosing?

Do you mind if I correct your spelling?

I'm certain you meant to type

PUSTULED

Do you mind if I correct your spelling?

I'm certain you meant to type

PUSTULED
No,I am pretty sure she wasn't talking about your face.

As we enter the fall political season, we will hear a great deal of rhetoric from both major political parties and their many candidates for office. It’s important for us to remember, however, that words can be made meaningless by misuse or overuse. And when we as citizens allow politicians to obscure the truth by distorting words, we diminish ourselves and our nation.

For example, we’ve all heard politicians use the words “democracy” and “freedom” countless times. They are used interchangeably in modern political discourse, yet their true meanings are very different. They have become what George Orwell termed “meaningless words”. Words like “freedom,” “democracy,” and “justice,” Orwell explained, have been abused for so long that their original meanings have been eviscerated. In Orwell’s view, such words were “often used in a consciously dishonest way.”

The most important part is where Paul says:

If we intend to use the word freedom in an honest way, we should have the simple integrity to give it real meaning: Freedom is living without government coercion. So when a politician talks about freedom or liberty--regardless of the issue being discussed-- ask yourself whether he is advocating more government force or less.
Well, he is right. It is just a shame that he (and his followers) are bat-shit crazy.

I have to say that I was shocked at what the GObP did to Ron Paul and the Libertarian party. I'm not a huge fan of Ron Paul but, unlike the lying GObP, I really do like the Constitution of the United and States and they should be called on the shit they pulled today.

This is exactly why we will never see a third party - Big Money will never allow it.

I have to say that I was shocked at what the GObP did to Ron Paul and the Libertarian party. I'm not a huge fan of Ron Paul but, unlike the lying GObP, I really do like the Constitution of the United and States and they should be called on the shit they pulled today.

This is exactly why we will never see a third party - Big Money will never allow it.
Stop. I need to catch My breath from laughing at you so hard.

So, what part of the US constitution did they Violate today sweet heart?

Forum List

Back