Meaning of life

Anyone who considers humanity and technology as two separate things is missing the point.

Tech is of course a human construct.

But how much of our personal capabilities will give to technology?

My memory isn't what it used to be( and not just because I'm getting older)

I used to be able to recall dozens of phone numbers of friends and businesses and could commit a phone number or a book passage to memory with little effort.

Now that I have been using a smart phone to do those things I find that particular skill has atrophied.

I hear people say that not having to remember mundane things frees up your brain power for more intellectual and creative thought but I don't think it has.

How many skills have been lost to tech? I think of an old man I met as a kid who was an amazing woodworker.

But now anything he used to make by hand can be done on computerized milling machines. Is it a good thing that those skills are being lost?

I don't think so.

If so, the reverse is also true.

Is it?

Who has become more skilled in woodworking by using computerized milling machines?

Here's another example.

When i was learning to play guitar and wanted to learn a new song I had to learn it by ear. I played small bits of the song over and over either on a turntable or tape recorder and it took days sometimes to get complicated licks down.

But it also developed my ear to better recognize relative pitches ( I do not have perfect pitch) and not only that but my ability to improvise and add my own take on songs was developed.

I see young players today obsessed with playing songs note for note but they become predictable and even monotonous in their improvising and expression.

There are many skills like these that are atrophied when one depends too much on technology.

If so, the reverse is also true.

Is it?

Who has become more skilled in woodworking by using computerized milling machines?

Here's another example.

When i was learning to play guitar and wanted to learn a new song I had to learn it by ear. I played small bits of the song over and over either on a turntable or tape recorder and it took days sometimes to get complicated licks down.

But it also developed my ear to better recognize relative pitches ( I do not have perfect pitch) and not only that but my ability to improvise and add my own take on songs was developed.

I see young players today obsessed with playing songs note for note but they become predictable and even monotonous in their improvising and expression.

There are many skills like these that are atrophied when one depends too much on technology.
You're missing the point.

Forum List

Back