'Mean' Gene Okerlund dies at 76, WWE announces

I put this under sports, wrestling is really entertainment I suppose.

Another part of my childish memories. RIP Gene.

'Mean' Gene Okerlund dies at 76, WWE announces

For those wrestling fans from back in the day, if you want to hear some great stories, you have to search youtube and listen to all the old timers from the WWF in '80s tell their stories, especially Andre The Giants bar drinking, he was insane. But in general, the stories are great, crazy stuff they couldn't get away with today.

I don't watch wrestling, but I have to admit some of the stories are great, these are Everyday guys not multi millionaire athletes who are afraid to speak out.

One key point I never thought of in regards to the milking of these wrestlers, was the marketing of other merchandise: lunchboxes, underwear, bed sheets on and on. Wrestlers didn't see a penny of this from what understand.

Last edited:
That man was a legend. He made watching wrestling enjoyable and entertaining. RIP, Mean Gene.

Mr. Okerlund was one of the greatest sports journalists of our time. He was the reporter on the scene when Hogan was revealed as the 3rd man, and the death of Hulkamania was pronounced along with the start of the New World Order in 1996.

There was a time when my first wife and I and her daughter were avid wrestling fans. We went to the sports arena in San Francisco and the one in Oakland on a regular basis.

We knew it was most show but it was fun getting in tune with the crowd.

IMG_0335.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum List

Back