MD to drop out of Electoral College?

George C. Edwards III....Did you read about him? He's trying to help Russia get a Democrat party started, amoung other communist endevors. :eusa_whistle:
Mother Jones? :lol:

I didn't expect to get anything but leftwing whacko's sites from your echo chamber, and I wasn't disappointed.

Yeah, I hate to say it Lakhota, but meister is right: Just posting links to various talking-point sites, without even a quote, to give the reader some idea of what they're being lead to, is bad form.

This is exactly right. If enough states join the compact (eight plus DC have, so far), then the voters of Maryland, and every other state in the compact, may find the majority of their votes completely negated by the compact. An argument could be made that this is large scale disenfranchisement.

It most certainly cannot, unless they consider the state of Maryland to be separate from the rest of the nation.

The best illustration of why we have an electoral college is the baseball World Series. It is possible to score the most runs but still lose the series. 1960 is an example. The Yankees scored 62 points, the Pirates 20. And yet the Pirates won four of the seven games, and thus the Series.

If the World Series changed the rules to award the cup to the team with the most points in 7 games, the whole strategy of the sport would change.

Just so if the electoral college were eliminated.

And... your point being?

As a tiny state, Maryland is cutting its own throat.

And there is no guarantee Democrats will always have the majority popular vote. They are probably cutting their own throats, too.

Incorrect. Maryland is small in size only.

In population it is ranked 19th, and therefore is already being disenfranchised by smaller population states.

And what does party have to do with it? The law is to enforce fairness and to guarantee every man in the nation has an equal vote.

George C. Edwards III....Did you read about him? He's trying to help Russia get a Democrat party started, amoung other communist endevors. :eusa_whistle:

I didn't expect to get anything but leftwing whacko's sites from your echo chamber, and I wasn't disappointed.

Yeah, I hate to say it Lakhota, but meister is right: Just posting links to various talking-point sites, without even a quote, to give the reader some idea of what they're being lead to, is bad form.

Do you honestly think posting quotes and portions would change any minds? I am simply providing links, mostly which I have read, if anyone wishes to review them. I have no desire to argue with closed minds.

Do you honestly think posting quotes and portions would change any minds? I am simply providing links, mostly which I have read, if anyone wishes to review them. I have no desire to argue with closed minds.

Pot-Kettle-Black :lol:

Wow, so, not only should we make sure that the presidential election creates millions of disenfranchised voters, but we should also make sure that Senators are appointed instead of elected?

And this, in your opinion, would allow for more power to the individual?

Have you read any George Orwell?

Thats what the Founders thought. History demonstrates they were correct in their analysis.

GALLUP: Americans Would Swap Electoral College for Popular Vote

by Lydia Saad

PRINCETON, NJ -- Nearly 11 years after the 2000 presidential election brought the idiosyncrasies of the United States' Electoral College into full view, 62% of Americans say they would amend the U.S. Constitution to replace that system for electing presidents with a popular vote system. Barely a third, 35%, say they would keep the Electoral College.

Gallup's initial measure of support for the Electoral College with this wording was conducted in the first few days after the 2000 presidential election in which the winner remained undeclared pending a recount in Florida. At that time, it was already clear that Democratic candidate Al Gore had won the national popular vote over Republican George W. Bush, but that the winner of the election would be the one who received Florida's 25 Electoral College votes.

During this period, Democrats were much more likely than Republicans to favor replacing the Electoral College system with a popular vote system. In a Gallup poll conducted Dec. 15-17 -- shortly after the Dec. 12 Supreme Court decision that ended the Florida recount, thereby deciding the election in Bush's favor -- 75% of Democrats said they would amend the Constitution so that the candidate who receives the most votes nationwide wins. By contrast, 56% of Republicans favored keeping the Electoral College, while 41% favored replacing it with a popular vote system.

Republicans have grown somewhat more amenable to adopting a popular vote system over the past decade. Now, for the first time since 2000, the majority of Republicans favor it. Independents are not quite as supportive as Democrats of the popular vote system, but the majority of them have consistently favored it.

Notably, in November 1980, when 67% of Americans, overall, said they approved of an amendment that would change the electoral system, Gallup found little partisan disagreement. Support was 62% among Republicans, 66% among Democrats, and 73% among independents. This suggests that the partisan results seen more recently may result from the political dynamic of the 2000 election, in which the Republican candidate benefited from the Electoral College system at the Democrat's expense.

ttpdsrel5kytbkhx6twgza.gif

z3nps1gr0embveztgoctmg.gif

xxocjjhgjeganb8hb--kaw.gif

Bottom Line

With 62% of Americans today in favor of abolishing the Electoral College, Americans show relatively little attachment to this unique invention of the country's Founding Fathers. The system was devised as a compromise between those who wanted Congress to select the president and those who favored election by the people, and it has resulted in a highly state-based approach to presidential campaigning.

Those who advocate abolishing the Electoral College often do so on the basis that the system puts undue emphasis on a small number of swing states. Whether Americans as a whole are concerned about that byproduct is unclear. However, they broadly agree that the country should adopt a system in which the popular vote prevails. While Republicans are less supportive of this than Democrats, 11 years after the 2000 election politicized the issue, the majority of Republicans once again favor the change.

Americans Would Swap Electoral College for Popular Vote

Thats what the Founders thought. History demonstrates they were correct in their analysis.

The Founders didn't have state vs state population ratios of 67:1 (California/Wyoming).

Which means, by the way, that every voter in Montana has 3 times as much representation in both Congress and the Electoral College, as California Voters.

I very much doubt the Founding fathers had that in mind at all.

It's a movement in a whole lot of states at the moment. Basically, state's invoking their right to chose electorates by a method of their own choosing - in this case, by nationwide popular vote.

I understand the power of the state to choose it's electorates by whatever method...

To tie it to the winner of the national popular vote gives MD ZERO voice to be heard...

Idiotic move...
The law is predicated on other states doing the same thing. In effect it nullity the electoral college without changing the Constitution. It's a good idea. I hope the other states follow suit.

The Founders didn't have state vs state population ratios of 67:1 (California/Wyoming).

Which means, by the way, that every voter in Montana has 3 times as much representation in both Congress and the Electoral College, as California Voters.

I am certain that they did because they knew already how corrupt the major population centers already were and would likely get worse.

The FF did not want the big cities to steal elections through massive uncontroled voter fraud.

Right now the Daleys of Chicago can only rig the Illinois vote but getting rid of the Electoral College makdes it possible for them to steal the whole shebang.

by Lydia Saad

PRINCETON, NJ -- Nearly 11 years after the 2000 presidential election brought the idiosyncrasies of the United States' Electoral College into full view, 62% of Americans say they would amend the U.S. Constitution to replace that system for electing presidents with a popular vote system. Barely a third, 35%, say they would keep the Electoral College.

Gallup's initial measure of support for the Electoral College with this wording was conducted in the first few days after the 2000 presidential election in which the winner remained undeclared pending a recount in Florida. At that time, it was already clear that Democratic candidate Al Gore had won the national popular vote over Republican George W. Bush, but that the winner of the election would be the one who received Florida's 25 Electoral College votes.

During this period, Democrats were much more likely than Republicans to favor replacing the Electoral College system with a popular vote system. In a Gallup poll conducted Dec. 15-17 -- shortly after the Dec. 12 Supreme Court decision that ended the Florida recount, thereby deciding the election in Bush's favor -- 75% of Democrats said they would amend the Constitution so that the candidate who receives the most votes nationwide wins. By contrast, 56% of Republicans favored keeping the Electoral College, while 41% favored replacing it with a popular vote system.

Republicans have grown somewhat more amenable to adopting a popular vote system over the past decade. Now, for the first time since 2000, the majority of Republicans favor it. Independents are not quite as supportive as Democrats of the popular vote system, but the majority of them have consistently favored it.

Notably, in November 1980, when 67% of Americans, overall, said they approved of an amendment that would change the electoral system, Gallup found little partisan disagreement. Support was 62% among Republicans, 66% among Democrats, and 73% among independents. This suggests that the partisan results seen more recently may result from the political dynamic of the 2000 election, in which the Republican candidate benefited from the Electoral College system at the Democrat's expense.

Bottom Line

With 62% of Americans today in favor of abolishing the Electoral College, Americans show relatively little attachment to this unique invention of the country's Founding Fathers. The system was devised as a compromise between those who wanted Congress to select the president and those who favored election by the people, and it has resulted in a highly state-based approach to presidential campaigning.

Those who advocate abolishing the Electoral College often do so on the basis that the system puts undue emphasis on a small number of swing states. Whether Americans as a whole are concerned about that byproduct is unclear. However, they broadly agree that the country should adopt a system in which the popular vote prevails. While Republicans are less supportive of this than Democrats, 11 years after the 2000 election politicized the issue, the majority of Republicans once again favor the change.

The only reason we have an electoral college is the founding fathers didn't trust us to elect the president. Which is understandable because they both yearned for democracy but they were afraid of it. The electoral college's time has long past and we should get rid of it and follow the will of the people.

by Lydia Saad

Bottom Line

The only reason we have an electoral college is the founding fathers didn't trust us to elect the president. Which is understandable because they both yearned for democracy but they were afraid of it. The electoral college's time has long past and we should get rid of it and follow the will of the people.

Thats a good idea.

The better and more pragmatic idea is to make it to where you have to win both the Electoral votes AND the popular vote.

I believe they did. In 1790, Virginia had 21 times the population of Tennessee.

Forum List

Back