MD close to passing same-sex marriage

If it passes the House, Governor O'Malley promises to sign law. Law has provision that no religious institution can be forced to perform the marriages. Prediction: The sky will not fall and it will not effect my marriage one bit.

Thanks for the information. I'll cross Maryland off my list of places to potentially move to, work in, or visit.

I predicting two possible outcomes. The first, water turning to blood killing all fish and other water life, frogs, lice, gnats and flies, diseased livestock, unhealable boils, hail and thunder, locusts, darkness, and the death of the first-born of all the people of maryland. The second, gays can marry and not in any material way change the life of heterosexuals and christians.

Get government out of the marriage business.. have government recognize family couples for the purposes of taxation, inheritance, legal and medical decisions in case of emergency, etc.... treate everyone equally....

Government intervention in such things as gay or abnormal marriage forces acceptance... acceptance is a personal thing.... when left in the hands of the churches or whatever other private institutions, people can join as they choose, accept what they believe in, and live free without governmental repercussion... if someone chooses to be with a person of the same or opposite sex is entirely up to them in a free society, but in that free society they are not entitled to make everyone accept their same belief

Get government out of the marriage business.. have government recognize family couples for the purposes of taxation, inheritance, legal and medical decisions in case of emergency, etc.... treate everyone equally....

Government intervention in such things as gay or abnormal marriage forces acceptance... acceptance is a personal thing.... when left in the hands of the churches or whatever other private institutions, people can join as they choose, accept what they believe in, and live free without governmental repercussion... if someone chooses to be with a person of the same or opposite sex is entirely up to them in a free society, but in that free society they are not entitled to make everyone accept their same belief

No one is asking you to accept their belief. The law specifically states that no religious institution can be forced to participate. This about civil rights and fairness before the law.

No one is asking you to accept their belief. The law specifically states that no religious institution can be forced to participate. This about civil rights and fairness before the law.

No... when government mandates acceptance of a choice thru legalities, it is indeed wrong... this law will tie in to discrimination laws, insurance laws, housing law, etc....

By definition, governmental intervention into this forces acceptance on a legal level

This is NOT about fairness (which is inherently SUBJECTIVE, not something government should be)... don't be deluded

If it passes the House, Governor O'Malley promises to sign law. Law has provision that no religious institution can be forced to perform the marriages. Prediction: The sky will not fall and it will not effect my marriage one bit.

Md. Senate Approves Gay Marriage Bill, Christian News, The Christian Post

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

People, more and more, are seeing that we are NOT the Boogie Man.

Does this mean I cannot rely on my GLBT friends to smite my enemies with boils?

Damn, and I worked on that list of enemies for like an hour.

LOL.

No... when government mandates acceptance of a choice thru legalities, it is indeed wrong... this law will tie in to discrimination laws, insurance laws, housing law, etc....

By definition, governmental intervention into this forces acceptance on a legal level

This is NOT about fairness (which is inherently SUBJECTIVE, not something government should be)... don't be deluded

Fairness before the law and the extension of civil rights under the Constitution is EXACTLY what the government should be doing. YOU'RE the one trying to enforce your personal choices on others.

My only concern is that sooner or later, someone is going to attempt to sue a religous organization for discrimination because they refused to marry them. At that point the law as written is pretty much moot, as it then becomes a fight between The 1st amendment right to practice ones religion, vs. Equal protection under the law based upon the 14th amendment.

All you need is a single court decsion going against a church that wouldn't marry a gay couple, and you will have a shitstorm to end all shitstorms.

Thanks for the information. I'll cross Maryland off my list of places to potentially move to, work in, or visit.

Because you only want to live, work or visit among GLBT single people? I can see that, sorta. Marriage does make most people a tad more settled...some would even say boring.

People, more and more, are seeing that we are NOT the Boogie Man.

No, but that does not mean I have like, accept, or condone your lifestyle. Nor do I have to do business with anyone or any place that does.

You dun get to discriminate or violate the rights of anyone whom you disapprove of, either. For example, I loathe sexual bigots but I cannot refuse to serve one in my public restaurant or book one into my hotel.

I'm not even allowed to hit one! Sometimes, I think this freedom thingie is a pain in the ass.

My only concern is that sooner or later, someone is going to attempt to sue a religous organization for discrimination because they refused to marry them. At that point the law as written is pretty much moot, as it then becomes a fight between The 1st amendment right to practice ones religion, vs. Equal protection under the law based upon the 14th amendment.

All you need is a single court decsion going against a church that wouldn't marry a gay couple, and you will have a shitstorm to end all shitstorms.

Well, I'm sure it will end up like ALL THOSE lawsuits forcing churches to marry inter-racial couples and inter-faith or no-faith couples.

"Acceptance" is not personal when the mode in which it is displayed is public. You have no right to refuse to sell a home to, or refuse to hire, etc., another person merely because of the gender of their spouse.

However, if you'd like to stand with the WBC at their next protest, feel free.

Well, I'm sure it will end up like ALL THOSE lawsuits forcing churches to marry inter-racial couples and inter-faith or no-faith couples.

I'll put this on my list of things to fret about, like creeping Sharia Law and the Fraud of Global Warming.

My goodness, but I have so much more to fret over these days!

Race is known to be determined from human genetic makeup... there is no such thing with being gay or the choice to marry someone of the same sex.... and we are allowed to have preferences of choice and discriminate in relation to choice... This is legislating the acceptance of a choice, something I am not for

"Acceptance" is not personal when the mode in which it is displayed is public. You have no right to refuse to sell a home to, or refuse to hire, etc., another person merely because of the gender of their spouse.

However, if you'd like to stand with the WBC at their next protest, feel free.

No... you should not be allowed to discriminate based on race or other natural/genetic aspects of being a human.... discrimination against the choices of a person is completely acceptable... you don't wish to hire a satanist or you don't wish to have a roommate with a criminal record or whatever, all well and good with me...

And if you think I am a person who does not accept people's choice of sexual lifestyle inherently, you are sadly mistaken.... and if you think I am a person apt to side with Westboro loonies, you are even more mistaken... asshole

Forum List

Back