McJob!

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
** The fact is, the opportunity for advancement at McDonalds is few and far between. It is in fact a company that employs people who are too young for careers and others that have trouble getting jobs elsewhere. Their pay scale, is in my opinion, much too low for the work they expect (not to mention ridicule). **

** BTW - I wish just once those McIdiots could get my order correct at the drive thru window **

Merriam-Webster: 'McJob' is here to stay

SPRINGFIELD, Massachusetts (AP) -- McDonald's may not like it, but the editors of the Merriam-Webster dictionary say "McJob" is a word that's here to stay.

The 11th edition of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, published in June, defines a "McJob" as "a low-paying job that requires little skill and provides little opportunity for advancement."

The fast-food giant's chief executive, Jim Cantalupo, called the definition a "slap in the face" to the 12 million people who work in the restaurant industry, and demanded that Merriam-Webster dish up something more flattering.

But the dictionary publisher said Tuesday that it "stands by the accuracy and appropriateness" of its definition.

"For more that 17 years 'McJob' has been used as we are defining it in a broad range of publications," the company said, citing everything from The New York Times and Rolling Stone to newspapers in South Africa and Australia.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/books/11/11/offbeat.mcjob.ap/index.html

There is nothing wrong with a McJob or naming it that way. Its wrong for people to make a McCarrer cooking fries at McDonalds. It is just an entry level job most people move on.

Forum List

Back