McGovern Receiving Hospice Care In Sioux Falls

beretta304

Rookie
Aug 13, 2012
A Saner Place
SIOUX FALLS, SD - Senator George McGovern is receiving hospice care.

The family announced Monday afternoon that the senator is in Dougherty Hospice House in Sioux Falls.

It was just in August when the former Democratic presidential candidate gave up his homes in Mitchell and Florida to spend more time near family in Sioux Falls.

His daughter told The Associated Press on Monday that the longtime South Dakota senator is "coming to the end of his life." Ann McGovern declined to elaborate, but noted her 90-year-old father's recent health problems.

Last October, he was treated for exhaustion after a lecture tour. Two months later, he fell and hit his head just before a scheduled interview for a C-SPAN program about failed presidential candidates who've had a lasting impact on American politics.

The 90 year old McGovern was a three term U.S. Senator from the 1960s to the 1980s. He also served in the House of Representatives.

KELOLAND.com | McGovern Receiving Hospice Care In Sioux Falls

Jeffrey Shultz ·
A postscript: If George Mcgovern had done nothing else in his life, he deserves the utmost praise for volunteering for the Army Air Corps in World War II and piloting 35 combat missions in B-24 Liberators over German Occupied Europe.

Edward Holtgraver ·
This is why I still like him even though he was a Democrat. If he flew combat missions, he can be whatever he wants to be. What did barack obama ever do? Except learn how to be a total freaking a-hole?

The family announced Monday afternoon that the senator is in Dougherty Hospice House in Sioux Falls.

It was just in August when the former Democratic presidential candidate gave up his homes in Mitchell and Florida to spend more time near family in Sioux Falls.

His daughter told The Associated Press on Monday that the longtime South Dakota senator is "coming to the end of his life." Ann McGovern declined to elaborate, but noted her 90-year-old father's recent health problems.

Last October, he was treated for exhaustion after a lecture tour. Two months later, he fell and hit his head just before a scheduled interview for a C-SPAN program about failed presidential candidates who've had a lasting impact on American politics.

The 90 year old McGovern was a three term U.S. Senator from the 1960s to the 1980s. He also served in the House of Representatives.

Jeffrey Shultz ·
A postscript: If George Mcgovern had done nothing else in his life, he deserves the utmost praise for volunteering for the Army Air Corps in World War II and piloting 35 combat missions in B-24 Liberators over German Occupied Europe.

Edward Holtgraver ·
This is why I still like him even though he was a Democrat. If he flew combat missions, he can be whatever he wants to be. What did barack obama ever do? Except learn how to be a total freaking a-hole?

Just gotta toss that in there, huh?

Shameless.

• Banned

Jeffrey Shultz ·

Edward Holtgraver ·

Shameless.

You highlighted it, not me.

Jeffrey Shultz ·

Edward Holtgraver ·

Shameless.

It was inappropriate to include that line, it ruined a tribute to a good man. I guess we should not expect anything better from you.

What I remember most about McGovern is the very early endorsement he gave to Romney who was the to be announced in the future presidential nominee.

After McGovern left office he opened a Bed and Breakfast. Or tried to. The reams of red tape that he endorsed and fought to implement, kept his business from success.

In 1993, former Sen. George McGovern, once considered the most liberal of Democratic candidates for president, wrote a piece about his experience attempting to run a small bed and breakfast in Connecticut. The red tape required by government severely hampered his capacity to earn a profit. He wished in retrospect that "I had known more firsthand about the concerns and problems of American businesspeople while I was a U.S. senator and later a presidential nominee. That knowledge would have made me a better legislator and a more worthy aspirant to the White House."

The Most Business-Despising President in History - Mona Charen - [page]

McGovern is of the old school of Dem politicians, like Humphrey, Muskee, or Moynihan. They were principled patriots. You could disagree with their views, but you never questioned their honesty and integrity. Today we have Barney Frank, Maxine Waters, and Barack Obama and the question is not whether they are guilty but whether they can get away with it.

What I remember most about McGovern is the very early endorsement he gave to Romney who was the to be announced in the future presidential nominee.

After McGovern left office he opened a Bed and Breakfast. Or tried to. The reams of red tape that he endorsed and fought to implement, kept his business from success.

In 1993, former Sen. George McGovern, once considered the most liberal of Democratic candidates for president, wrote a piece about his experience attempting to run a small bed and breakfast in Connecticut. The red tape required by government severely hampered his capacity to earn a profit. He wished in retrospect that "I had known more firsthand about the concerns and problems of American businesspeople while I was a U.S. senator and later a presidential nominee. That knowledge would have made me a better legislator and a more worthy aspirant to the White House."

The Most Business-Despising President in History - Mona Charen - [page]

Never cared for his ultra liberal politics, but that was very noble of him to make such admissions about how badly the government can interfere in a small business. Kudos to him.

My Grandfather, Lt. Donald Bone, flew B-24's in the same squadron as McGovern did. While researching his squadron history last year I found out they were scheduled to fly a mission together over Germany on November 16th 1944 but they had to return to base before getting to the target for some unknown reason, probably mechanical.

I wrote to Senator McGovern last year about this through his official website but never received a response. I sometimes wonder what my Grandfather must have thought back in 1972 when McGovern was accepting the Democrat Nomination for President.

BoneMcGovern.jpg

Godspeed.

But seriously Beretta, was it necessary to take a dig at Obama while simultaneously posting about this mans last few days?

Stay classy.

You mean like when people take digs at Bush when the discussion is over a dead Ambassador and 3 others. That kind of classy? Take it up with Edward Holtgraver.

Shameless.

It was inappropriate to include that line, it ruined a tribute to a good man. I guess we should not expect anything better from you.

And I care what you think? It was part of the person's quote and I wasn't about to alter it, period!

Concentrate on the first part of the quote. That's why it's there. Oh and get off yourself and you smugness. The man isn't dead so this isn't a R.I.P. testimonial.

Godspeed.

But seriously Beretta, was it necessary to take a dig at Obama while simultaneously posting about this mans last few days?

Stay classy.

You mean like when people take digs at Bush when the discussion is over a dead Ambassador and 3 others. That kind of classy? Take it up with Edward Holtgraver.

Oh, so you are just looking for justification for your inappropriate behavior.

"But teacher! He did it too!"

Stay classy. :lol:

Godspeed.

Stay classy.

Oh, so you are just looking for justification for your inappropriate behavior.

"But teacher! He did it too!"

Listen jerk, I don't have to justify anything to anyone. It's there and it stays there and getting a lecture on staying classy form a libshit like you is like getting a lecture on overspending at the mall from Obama himself.

Listen jerk, I don't have to justify anything to anyone. It's there and it stays there and getting a lecture on staying classy form a libshit like you is like getting a lecture on overspending at the mall from Obama himself.

Sure.. Do whatever you need to feel like what you did was "okay". :lol:

Like I said: "But teacher! He did it too!" is a justification.. You don't arrive to that argument unless you got called out on something that you know is questionable.

Sure.. Do whatever you need to feel like what you did was "okay". :lol:

Like I said: "But teacher! He did it too!" is a justification.. You don't arrive to that argument unless you got called out on something that you know is questionable.

Hey brain surgeon go look at post # 8 then keep in mind that you're late to the table and an idiot on top of it. Now would you like to ruin the thread even further by making yourself look even dumber than usual. Questionable? Keep being obtuse....it fits your perfectly.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back