McGovern Receiving Hospice Care In Sioux Falls

Discussion in 'Politics' started by beretta304, Oct 16, 2012.

1. beretta304

beretta304 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73
    SIOUX FALLS, SD - Senator George McGovern is receiving hospice care.

The family announced Monday afternoon that the senator is in Dougherty Hospice House in Sioux Falls.

It was just in August when the former Democratic presidential candidate gave up his homes in Mitchell and Florida to spend more time near family in Sioux Falls.

His daughter told The Associated Press on Monday that the longtime South Dakota senator is "coming to the end of his life." Ann McGovern declined to elaborate, but noted her 90-year-old father's recent health problems.

Last October, he was treated for exhaustion after a lecture tour. Two months later, he fell and hit his head just before a scheduled interview for a C-SPAN program about failed presidential candidates who've had a lasting impact on American politics.

The 90 year old McGovern was a three term U.S. Senator from the 1960s to the 1980s. He also served in the House of Representatives.

KELOLAND.com | McGovern Receiving Hospice Care In Sioux Falls

Jeffrey Shultz ·
    A postscript: If George Mcgovern had done nothing else in his life, he deserves the utmost praise for volunteering for the Army Air Corps in World War II and piloting 35 combat missions in B-24 Liberators over German Occupied Europe.

Edward Holtgraver ·
    This is why I still like him even though he was a Democrat. If he flew combat missions, he can be whatever he wants to be. What did barack obama ever do? Except learn how to be a total freaking a-hole?

2. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,971
    all the politicians of my generation...well not really but a wee bit ahead of..are dying

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Article 15

Article 15 Dr. House slayer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    Just gotta toss that in there, huh?

Shameless.

4. beretta304

beretta304 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73

We don't have politicians today...we have celebrities.

5. Jackson

Jackson Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,685
    He served his nation well. Let his last days be peaceful with family near him.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. Meathead

Meathead Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,897
    When I was young and idealistic I supported him. Much has changed, but I wish him and his family the best and congratulate him on a life well lived.

7. beretta304

beretta304 BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73

You highlighted it, not me.

8. NoNukes

NoNukes Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,151
    It was inappropriate to include that line, it ruined a tribute to a good man. I guess we should not expect anything better from you.

9. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    What I remember most about McGovern is the very early endorsement he gave to Romney who was the to be announced in the future presidential nominee.

After McGovern left office he opened a Bed and Breakfast. Or tried to. The reams of red tape that he endorsed and fought to implement, kept his business from success.

In 1993, former Sen. George McGovern, once considered the most liberal of Democratic candidates for president, wrote a piece about his experience attempting to run a small bed and breakfast in Connecticut. The red tape required by government severely hampered his capacity to earn a profit. He wished in retrospect that "I had known more firsthand about the concerns and problems of American businesspeople while I was a U.S. senator and later a presidential nominee. That knowledge would have made me a better legislator and a more worthy aspirant to the White House."

The Most Business-Despising President in History - Mona Charen - [page]

10. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    McGovern is of the old school of Dem politicians, like Humphrey, Muskee, or Moynihan. They were principled patriots. You could disagree with their views, but you never questioned their honesty and integrity. Today we have Barney Frank, Maxine Waters, and Barack Obama and the question is not whether they are guilty but whether they can get away with it.