McDonnell apologizes for omitting slavery reference

You really are a dope. Educating Virginians about their ancestors who fought in the war includes what they fought for...and you can whine and cry all you want and pretend otherwise...but the war was mostly about slavery. Maybe you should educate yourself and read the various declarations from the leaders of the Confederacy when they seceded. :thup:

Here's a better idea, dope. Try educating YOURself on the common foot soldier who did the fighting. That is precisely who I have been talking about this whole time. Not some pompous rich Southerner who owned slaves and paid for someone else to fight in his stead.
The common foot soldier fought the war because he had no choice, dummy. Why do you think the "Confederate Army" had to institute a draft?

Only someone as supremely retarded as you would believe that civil war history should exclude the topic of slavery.

You have obviously NEVER read a single book on the Civil War. Armies both north and south were intially filled with all volunteers. And as far as Civil War history goes, once again, you show that you have NO idea what this proclomation was about. Thank you for enduring to remain ignorant to the facts.

How many other countries on the planet have sacrificed hundreds of thousands of citizens to end slavery?

Slavery entwines Southern Democrats like kudzu on the landscape
Southern Democrats defected to the republican party in protest of civil rights. Johnson said, when civil rights passed, that he'd lost the South, but he knew it was the right thing to do.

Yeah LBJ was a man of high moral principles and irreproachable character, that's the first thing most people who know LBJ think of when is name is mentioned.

How many other countries on the planet have sacrificed hundreds of thousands of citizens to end slavery?

Why do you say "other"? The American Civil War was not fought to end slavery. Hell, even the Emancipation Proclamation only freed slaves in the CSA. Lincoln himself stated

My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause.

Slavery is still practiced today in at least 6 countries

More than that. It's estimated that there are somewhere between 15M to 30M slaves in the world today.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Enslaved-True-Stories-Modern-Slavery/dp/1403974934/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270781044&sr=1-2]Amazon.com: Enslaved: True Stories of Modern Day Slavery (9781403974938): Sage Jesse, Liora Kasten, Gloria Steinem: Books[/ame]

Why do you say "other"? The American Civil War was not fought to end slavery. Hell, even the Emancipation Proclamation only freed slaves in the CSA. Lincoln himself stated

My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause.

Without the Civil War, it is highly unlikely the 13th Amendment would have passed.

To think that the war did not contribute to the end of slavery is fallacious.

Without the Civil War, it is highly unlikely the 13th Amendment would have passed.

To think that the war did not contribute to the end of slavery is fallacious.

THAT statement I can agree with. However, to say the war was fought over slavery is every bit as fallacious.

Slavery was an issue - as a bit of economic warfare. But at the end of the day, the U.S. did the right thing, and at a very high cost.

Here's a better idea, dope. Try educating YOURself on the common foot soldier who did the fighting. That is precisely who I have been talking about this whole time. Not some pompous rich Southerner who owned slaves and paid for someone else to fight in his stead.

Well, I can see that.

How about a day of protest against the Slave-Owner leaders that forced them into service against their own countrymen?

They could celebrate by burning Jefferson Davis and Robert E Lee in effigy.

Well, I can see that.

How about a day of protest against the Slave-Owner leaders that forced them into service against their own countrymen?

Sounds fair enough. Do you intend to head up this effort?

Well, I can see that.

You know, I'm going to visit VA this weekend to see all my transplanted northern family. Maybe I will! LOL.

Well, I can see that.

You know, I'm going to visit VA this weekend to see all my transplanted northern family. Maybe I will! LOL.

Good timing. Our heeat wave subsided last night and the weather is supposed to be beautiful here this weekend. Plus the rain washed most of the pollen away!

Good timing. Our heeat wave subsided last night and the weather is supposed to be beautiful here this weekend. Plus the rain washed most of the pollen away!

Sweet, VA is a really beautiful state. I'll probably follow my family down there one of these days and buy myself a house, but not quite yet.

Sweet, VA is a really beautiful state. I'll probably follow my family down there one of these days and buy myself a house, but not quite yet.

Be careful. Being originally from Maine myself, I STILL have not acclimated to the heat and humidity of the summers here.

While you're there, ask around and see if people know that Virginia once had slaves.

;)

Forum List

Back