McDonnell apologizes for omitting slavery reference

Why are Republicans apologizing for slavery? Why?

Look at which states stated the Civil War...all Dem.

Look at which Party fought tooth and nail against Civil Rights...Democrats

Tuskegee Experiment? Democrats

MLK Assassination? LBJ and Dems ran the FBI.

The only thing the Dems have is stranglehold on the Educational system that teaches "FDR's greatness" and Republicans Owned Slaves.

Bizzaroland.

But this proclamation was about Confederate Heritage Month. It sought to educate Vriginians about their ancestors who fought in the war. 99% of whom were too poor to own a single slave. This has NOTHING to do with slavery.
How stupid. In 1860, Virginia not only had the largest population of slaves of any state in the Union, 1/3 of Virginia's population were slaves.

Why would you discount the history of 30% of your population because the average person didn't own a slave?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Where did I say I was discounting anyone?

You say "educate Virginians". How many of today's "Virginians" have ancestors who fought in the war? How many "Virginians" might have ancestors who were those whom soldiers were fighting to keep in bondage?

Germans honor their war-dead, too, and they do so while still acknowledging that what their soldiers were fighting for was morally repugnant.

So you find Southern soldiers who fought to protect their land and proeprty from invading Northern armies repugnant?

What they were ultimately fighting to preserve was. And that shouldn't just be glossed over.

That's just it....the common foot soldier fighting for the South wasn't fighting to protect slavery. They were fighting for any number of reasons.

How stupid. In 1860, Virginia not only had the largest population of slaves of any state in the Union, 1/3 of Virginia's population were slaves.

Why would you discount the history of 30% of your population because the average person didn't own a slave?

You are upset with your gov because he caved and mentioned your history more truthfully.

I agree that he caved and put something into a proclomation that has nothing to do with it, but I still don't see where I am discounting anyone?

The only thing the Dems have is stranglehold on the Educational system that teaches "FDR's greatness" and Republicans Owned Slaves.

Bizzaroland.

Have you noticed that you're one of very few people still carrying on this horseshit talking point?

You say "educate Virginians". How many of today's "Virginians" have ancestors who fought in the war? How many "Virginians" might have ancestors who were those whom soldiers were fighting to keep in bondage?

I have no numbers to give you, so I will not attempt to spin this. All I can say, is I have researched and found CW soldiers who were ancestors for many of my Virginia native friends down here. NONE of them owned slaves as they were simply too poor.

McDonnell apologizes for omitting slavery reference | Richmond Times-Dispatch

After two days of poundings by Democrats, Gov. Bob McDonnell apologized for omitting a reference to slavery in his proclamation designating April as Confederate History Month and amended it to include a condemnation of "the evil and inhumane practice."

I don't know what pisses me off more. The faux outrage by the NAACP and Democrats, or Bob McDonnell's folding like a rug under the pressure.....disgusting.:eusa_hand:
what should offend your sensibilities is this
http://www.usmessageboard.com/education-and-history/112737-confederate-history-month-sans-that-silly-old-salvery-thing.html

Bizzaroland.

Have you noticed that you're one of very few people still carrying on this horseshit talking point?
You'll have to cut Frank some slack here.

Frank's brain was the one used in those anti-drug commercials way back when.

20090911-EggPan.jpg

McDonnell apologizes for omitting slavery reference | Richmond Times-Dispatch

After two days of poundings by Democrats, Gov. Bob McDonnell apologized for omitting a reference to slavery in his proclamation designating April as Confederate History Month and amended it to include a condemnation of "the evil and inhumane practice."

I don't know what pisses me off more. The faux outrage by the NAACP and Democrats, or Bob McDonnell's folding like a rug under the pressure.....disgusting.:eusa_hand:
what should offend your sensibilities is this
http://www.usmessageboard.com/education-and-history/112737-confederate-history-month-sans-that-silly-old-salvery-thing.html

Why?

Hmm, a month devoted to celebrating treason?

That seems bad enough without the whole slavery thing...

That is obviously ONE way to look at it, but living down here and knowing just how many Southern soldiers died for state's rights, I have a slightly different view. Hell some Southern states lost nearly 10% of their population due to war deaths. Do these people not have a right to acknowledge those sacrifices?

The North lost a whole bunch of people too, thanks you very much

How would you feel if the North celebrated a "Defeat the South" month?

Where we all whooped it up and went over all the ways in which the South failed so miserably to destroy the Union?

Not to mention the fact that that particular war was 150 years ago. Get over it already.

If you had actually got what you wanted, the south would have been a 3rd world country right now, since you all had basically no industry to speak of except for slave-driven agriculture.

I have no numbers to give you, so I will not attempt to spin this. All I can say, is I have researched and found CW soldiers who were ancestors for many of my Virginia native friends down here. NONE of them owned slaves as they were simply too poor.

If you had numbers you would be using then to spin this? I'm flabbergasted, but I salute your honesty. :cool:

Poor Southerners were brought along into the Civil war by calls to family, community, identity. The war was started over the rights of states and new territories to own and slave slaves.

Why people joined the fight and what principle instigated a war, rarely match up.

Not all German's were Nazis.

It's because in his Coulterian Bizarro-World, the population and intent of the parties has stayed the same throughout the centuries.

Of course, seeing as how Ann Coulter is one of the world's most renowned revisionist historians since Stalin, it's easy to see where he gets it from.

If you had numbers you would be using then to spin this? I'm flabbergasted, but I salute your honesty. :cool:

Poor Southerners were brought along into the Civil war by calls to family, community, identity. The war was started over the rights of states and new territories to own and slave slaves.

Why people joined the fight and what principle instigated a war, rarely match up.

Not all German's were Nazis.

I can't speak to the Germans, but I can tell you that 99% of the common southern soldiers were not fighting to preserve slavery. It served THEM no purpose. All it did was provide rich land owners with free labor.

It's because in his Coulterian Bizarro-World, the population and intent of the parties has stayed the same throughout the centuries.

Of course, seeing as how Ann Coulter is one of the world's most renowned revisionist historians since Stalin, it's easy to see where he gets it from.

Ann Coulter was denied the vote by the people she so misquotes.

She also belongs to the Federalist Society. Or at least she was one of their favorite speakers when I was following them.

The Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies is a group of conservatives and libertarians interested in the current state of the legal order. It is founded on the principles that the state exists to preserve freedom, that the separation of governmental powers is central to our Constitution, and that it is emphatically the province and duty of the judiciary to say what the law is, not what it should be. The Society seeks both to promote an awareness of these principles and to further their application through its activities.

About Us » The Federalist Society

Conservatives trying to lay claim to the liberal principles of the Federalists.

:lol::lol::lol:

But this proclamation was about Confederate Heritage Month. It sought to educate Vriginians about their ancestors who fought in the war. 99% of whom were too poor to own a single slave. This has NOTHING to do with slavery.

There were roughly 490,000 slaves in Virginia in 1860. I don't know how you would reconcile that fact with a claim that a Virginia Confederate Heritage Month has nothing to do with slavery.

As an aside, I'd just be curious as to what Virginia's history month plans to do with John Brown,

who was hanged for treason against the state of Virginia, for his efforts to free the slaves.

The confederacy is dead. It's better to let it stay dead. Afteralll, it was a just a bunch of treasonous people who started a war with their own government.

There were roughly 490,000 slaves in Virginia in 1860. I don't know how you would reconcile that fact with a claim that a Virginia Confederate Heritage Month has nothing to do with slavery.

As an aside, I'd just be curious as to what Virginia's history month plans to do with John Brown,

who was hanged for treason against the state of Virginia, for his efforts to free the slaves.

NY, he's just another misguided soul who has chosen to believe that the civil war had nothing to do with slavery. The most laughable position in history.

Please see some of my other posts in this thread.

NY, he's just another misguided soul who has chosen to believe that the civil war had nothing to do with slavery. The most laughable position in history.

Nowhere in this thread has ANYONE stated that the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery.

New Topics

Forum List

Back