McDonald's Recognized for Supporting Troops

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
Good job McDonald's! - I'm gonna go buy a Bigmac now to help support ya... :)

WASHINGTON, July 26, 2005 – Secretary of the Navy and acting Deputy Defense Secretary Gordon England honored the president and chief operating officer of McDonald's during a July 25 Pentagon ceremony for providing "super-sized" support for America's men and women in uniform.

England presented Michael Roberts the Distinguished Public Service Award, calling him "hugely supportive" of the troops and praising him for "setting the tenor," not just for McDonald's Corp., but for all of corporate America.

McDonald's joined the Defense Department's "America Supports You" program in March, becoming one of its major corporate sponsors. Since then, the company has played a leading role in bringing recognition to the program while continuing its long-term support for the troops and military veterans.

England detailed that support during the Pentagon ceremony, noting that McDonald's is a leading supporter of Armed Forces Week and Fleet Week, was instrumental in establishing a National Salute to the Military associated with the annual Fort Lauderdale Air and Sea Show, and sponsored a nationally broadcast Armed Forces Day concert that reached millions of Americans.

In addition, England credited Roberts for his leadership in bringing together national and local business leaders, organizations such as the Navy League and Veterans of Foreign Wars and members of the military -- active and reserve components alike -- to showcase the U.S. military's capabilities.

McDonald's also offers career opportunities to disabled servicemembers and military veterans, he said.

"They're just a great corporate citizen and a great supporter of the U.S. military," England said. "Across the board, they do a great job."

And in doing so, England said, they're setting the tone for the rest of the country. "This is what we expect of our corporations," he said.

Nationwide, companies large and small are stepping up to the plate, supporting the nation's troops in a wide variety of ways, England noted. Some make up any pay cuts their reserve-component employees face when called to active duty; others run special programs for military families or promotions for servicemembers.

"I thank all those corporations for what they do for our men and women in uniform," England said.

But while corporate support for the troops is important, it's the people within those companies, like Roberts, who really make the difference, England said. The citation he presented to Roberts noted that his leadership "has been vital to the military's effort to educate and inspire the American people and pay tribute to those who serve and defend freedom."

England called the awards ceremony "an opportunity for us to say thank you, on behalf of all our men and women in uniform, to McDonald's Corp., and specifically Mike Roberts, for his great, great work," he said.

Roberts said he and his employees, many of whom served in the military, "take great pride in knowing that the company they work for recognizes the enormous sacrifices (servicemembers) have made in their lives in order to protect America."

He expressed gratitude for troops who "go out in a very hostile world," noting the high cost of freedom.

"Freedom isn't free," and America's troops "are paying an enormous price so that we can stand here today and enjoy the fruits of freedom," Roberts said. "We are proud to be associated with them."

Roberts said it's important to make sure troops get that message and to stand up and say, "We appreciate what you do each and every day."

"They are heroes in all of our minds," Roberts said of U.S. servicemembers. "And we take this opportunity today once again to say we appreciate them for the sacrifices they make."

http://www.dod.mil/americasupportsyou/america/stories/30180361.html

Whether you agree with this or not that doesn't change the fact that MacDonald's food is unhealthy garbage that is being aggressively marketed to helpless undescriminating children.

nucular said:
Whether you agree with this or not that doesn't change the fact that MacDonald's food is unhealthy garbage that is being aggressively marketed to helpless undescriminating children.

Once again - another lib not accepting personal responsability............

-Cp said:
Once again - another lib not accepting personal responsability............

I don't know how disapproving of unhealthy food is "liberal", seems like almost everything is to you and the other fruitcakes on this board.

Children are not in a position to know the difference. How can you expect them to judge healthy food from unhealthy?

And please tell me, in what way is eating healthy food liberal and eating unhealthy food........whatever you are?

It is great that McDonalds supports the U.S. military effort, but it does nothing to change the fact that their food is horrible. Look up the facts that came out in the defamation case that McDonalds brought against a protest group in England. You will find out that the company knowingly used horse and rodent meat in the "Chicken McNuggets," that their sanitation practices are among the worst in the industry and that they often use irresponsible, under-trained and unsupervised young employees to prepare the food that you eat.

nucular said:
I don't know how disapproving of unhealthy food is "liberal", seems like almost everything is to you and the other fruitcakes on this board.

Children are not in a position to know the difference. How can you expect them to judge healthy food from unhealthy?

And please tell me, in what way is eating healthy food liberal and eating unhealthy food........whatever you are?

Your post is retarded because it completely dismisses the responsibility of the kids' parents...

You'd have to be a complete MORON to NOT know that McDonald's menu - for the most part - isn't friggin health food...

"ooo.. don't blame the moronic parents who feed lil' johnny McDonald's food 3 times a day - blame the marketing"... what a LOAD of Horsecrap...

nucular said:

To echo -Cp:

Yes they are. It's called: Parental Upbringing.

Parents teach their kids how to walk and talk. Parents teach their kids not to put their hand on a hot stove.

Parents can teach their kids not to eat McDonalds.

Yeah right, MacDonalds uses a CLOWN as their logo and has a playground at most of their restaurants to persuade the parents to eat there.

nucular said:
Yeah right, MacDonalds uses a CLOWN as their logo and has a playground at most of their restaurants to persuade the parents to eat there.

Do you want your child to eat at McDonalds?

GotZoom said:
Do you want your child to eat at McDonalds?

I get your point and no I never let my son eat there. Once he pointed to the arches and said, "Dada, great taste at Donald's" I said no it isn't. But not all parents are macho tough guys like me, you and cP.

I'm not totally against fast food and convenience food. MacDonald's is particularly wretched.

nucular said:
I get your point and no I never let my son eat there. Once he pointed to the arches and said, "Dada, great taste at Donald's" I said no it isn't. But not all parents are macho tough guys like me, you and cP.

I'm not totally against fast food and convenience food. MacDonald's is particularly wretched.

So instead of insisting that all parents who have a problem with McDonalds deal with it as you, me, and -Cp would do, you would rather just shut them all down.

GotZoom said:
So instead of insisting that all parents who have a problem with McDonalds deal with it as you, me, and -Cp would do, you would rather just shut them all down.

Did I say anything about shutting them down? I just said the food is crap. I'm happy with the food trends in this country. Eventually crap like MacDonalds might disappear due to market forces like people choosing to eat better, healthier and more interesting food. Or McD might have to improve their food to compete.

nucular said:
Did I say anything about shutting them down? I just said the food is crap. I'm happy with the food trends in this country. Eventually crap like MacDonalds might disappear due to market forces like people choosing to eat better, healthier and more interesting food. Or McD might have to improve their food to compete.

So the whole point of your McDonalds tirade was to say that their food is crap.

Ok. I agree.

Don't eat it.

nucular said:

Isn't this where you begin training children that they are incapable of thinking for themselves and to allow you to think for them; which, in turn, will make them good little Democraps in adulthood?

nucular said:
Their fruit and walnut salad is great. Problem is, it's not selling. Neither are the salads as a whole. :finger: McD's. Seems some will go for calories no matter...

Forum List

Back