McDonald’s Employees Told To Vote Republican Or Not Get Raises Or Benefits

In fairness, it was a single franchise owner, not the entire corporation. He is now being investigated and acknowledged it was improper and apologized.

Elections make people crazy.

Pretty mild if you compare it to the crap Obama says will happen if you don't vote Democratic. What's the point?

Or when speaking to a largely Hispanic audience tells them something akin to 'punishing their enemies'...Now what US President has used such language to describe the very citizens he is supposed to be the leader of?

That can be classified as intimidation. But Obama got his political training on the streets of Chicago.

But it's okay when liberal Democratics have their puppets, the labor Unions, tell the Union members to vote Democrat or they will all go unemployed and their children will die.

Fail-low, you are a failure.

Labor unions are acknowledged political groups that don't pay salaries or benefits to their members. Instead, they seek to preserve them through activism.

This is a non-sequitur. It's improper for the guy who cuts the check to tell his employees to vote a certain way or they won't get their paychecks.

You are astute enough to see the difference.

In fairness, it was a single franchise owner, not the entire corporation. He is now being investigated and acknowledged it was improper and apologized.

Elections make people crazy.

*True* However? The person wishes to stay in business and alerted his people to that. He/she also knows who's largely responsible for what's going on and in my view did nothing wrong but to be a capitalist, a businessman whom wishes to remain so.

But it's okay when liberal Democratics have their puppets, the labor Unions, tell the Union members to vote Democrat or they will all go unemployed and their children will die.

Labor unions are acknowledged political groups that don't pay salaries or benefits to their members. Instead, they seek to preserve them through activism.

This is a non-sequitur. It's improper for the guy who cuts the check to tell his employees to vote a certain way or they won't get their paychecks.

Hello?
He didn't TELL them to vote a certain way, in fact he reminded them they alone have the right to vote for whoever they want, what he did was tell them why he believes they should consider voting for X.

Big difference.

Wrong. First off, just to help steer you back to reality, the employer did NOT make any such threat to any employees. You should be astute enough not to make ridiculous assertions when you have absolutely no real world basis for those claims.

Secondly, a Union is no different in the right to speak politically than is any other association of people, including a corporation or other business entity.

Damn, but that First Amendment thing seems to irritate you libs.

McDonalds (or the unions for that matter, but I do not think Mc D's employees have a union, do they?) can propose, but the employees are the people who pull the lever for their candidate of choice.

Seriously, does anybody here think that McDs is going to sell more hambugers based on what candidate gets into office?

Thinking employees of McDs aren't going to fall for this crap.

Just like thinking union members decide for themselves which candidate to vote for.

I suspect Mc D's just shot itsef in the foot.

It's Classic Case of Progressive OP/Unread Article Disconnect Syndrome

There's not a single fucking Progressive that ever bothers to read the articles, even the ones they attach and use to start a post.

I thought it was a fluke, but I've yet to meet a single Lib poster who ever reads an article. It's not even embarrassing for them because they're ALL Guilty of it

Hello?
He didn't TELL them to vote a certain way, in fact he reminded them they alone have the right to vote for whoever they want, what he did was tell them why he believes they should consider voting for X.

Big difference.

His words:

"As the election season is here we wanted you to know which candidates will help our business grow in the future," reads the letter. "As you know, the better our business does it enables us to invest in our people and our restaurants. If the right people are elected we will be able to continue with raises and benefits at or above our present levels. If others are elected, we will not. As always, who you vote for is completely your personal decision and many factors go into your decision."

The note ends with a list of candidates McDonald's believes "will help our business move forward." It names Republicans John Kasich for governor, Rob Portman for Senate, and Jim Renacci for Congress. With the letter was a biography of Renacci.

No, he didn't "tell" them to vote a different way. He just told them that if Kasich, Portman, and Renacci didn't win he would "not be able to continue with raises or benefits at or above our present levels".

Not a big difference.

Hello?

Big difference.

His words:

"As the election season is here we wanted you to know which candidates will help our business grow in the future," reads the letter. "As you know, the better our business does it enables us to invest in our people and our restaurants. If the right people are elected we will be able to continue with raises and benefits at or above our present levels. If others are elected, we will not. As always, who you vote for is completely your personal decision and many factors go into your decision."

The note ends with a list of candidates McDonald's believes "will help our business move forward." It names Republicans John Kasich for governor, Rob Portman for Senate, and Jim Renacci for Congress. With the letter was a biography of Renacci.

No, he didn't "tell" them to vote a different way. He just told them that if Kasich, Portman, and Renacci didn't win he would "not be able to continue with raises or benefits at or above our present levels".

Not a big difference.

Yes it is a big difference.
Good to see you admit you are wrong in your previous post.

What this guy did was pretty stupid, people can see that for themselves.
What is more stupid is to make a big deal out of it. This guy employs maybe 15-20 part time employees, several are probably not old enough to vote.

The bigger story is why does thousands and thousands of people go to Huff n Puff.

Wrong. First off, just to help steer you back to reality, the employer did NOT make any such threat to any employees. You should be astute enough not to make ridiculous assertions when you have absolutely no real world basis for those claims.

Read his words and tell me that wasn't a threat. "If Candidates X, Y, and Z (who are on your ballots) don't win, no raises or benefits for you".

As we say here in the Show Me State: "Don't piss down my leg and tell me it's raining".

Secondly, a Union is no different in the right to speak politically than is any other association of people, including a corporation or other business entity.

As I said; Unions never claim to be non-political. Unions are also not the employers of their members. It's not a good analogy.

This man has a right to speak politically, however, it appears he broke the law in the state of Ohio:

Schulman turned over the documents to local prosecutors, asking them to "investigate this matter for a criminal violation." Ohio election law specifically states that no corporation "shall print or authorize to be print...or post or exhibit in the establishment or anywhere in or about the establishment...handbills containing any threat, notice, or information that if any particular candidate is elected or defeated, work in the establishment will cease in whiole or in part, or other threats expressed or implied, intended to influence the political opinions or votes of...its employees."

Obviously Siegfried knows he screwed up:

On Friday, franchise owner Paul Siegfried apologized in a written statement, saying the communication was "an error of judgment on my part." "Please know it was never my intention to offend anyone," he added. "For those that I have offended, I sincerely apologize."

And obviously the national corporation knows he screwed up:

In a statement to The Huffington Post, Shirley Rogers Reece, general manager of McDonald's Ohio region, said, "We wholeheartedly respect diverse views and opinions, and our employees' right to vote. Our position is that every employee should make his or her own choice. McDonald's had no knowledge of this material being distributed. As independent business owners, our franchisees are responsible for matters regarding their own employees. The content of this material is not reflective of McDonald's position. We remain bipartisan on these matters. That said, while clearly this was poor judgment, we don't believe it was intended to offend anyone."

He showed poor judgment, I don't think it's a huge deal and respect that he apologized, and I think it's a little dishonest of the HuffingtonPost to insinuate that the McDonalds corporation was responsible for this, when it is obviously was a single screwball.

Damn, but that First Amendment thing seems to irritate you libs.

This isn't a clear cut First Amendment issue. If he had merely told his employees "I support the GOP candidates, because I think they will help this business to grow" it would be one thing. However, saying that their will be financial repercussions if these candidates don't win in an attempt to sway his employees to vote a certain way is against the law in Ohio.

Shut the fuck up you dumbass fucking liar, you can't even admit McDonalds is wrong, its fucking voter intimidation by McDonalds.

He's got a point.

Unions not only intimidate and threaten members to vote democrat, but they REQUIRE them to campaign for them as well.

Tempest in a teapot.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — A handful of McDonald's employees in northeastern Ohio received handbills in their most recent paychecks suggesting they vote for three Republican candidates.

Puhleez. I get propaganda weekly from the NJEA (much of which is filled with untruths) telling me who to vote for and how the sky is falling under Gov. Christie. That's America.

Yes it is a big difference.
Good to see you admit you are wrong in your previous post.

What this guy did was pretty stupid, people can see that for themselves.
What is more stupid is to make a big deal out of it. This guy employs maybe 15-20 part time employees, several are probably not old enough to vote.

The bigger story is why does thousands and thousands of people go to Huff n Puff.

Oh for fuck's sake. Nickle and dime me to death. I'll make sure I word every single post in a manner where you won't be able to turn this into some sort of semantics debate in the future. What he did, was to tell them that if the GOP candidates on their ballots didn't win, they would suffer financial harm. Did he specifically "tell them to vote a certain way"? No. Did he improperly try to influence their vote by telling them they would suffer financial repercussions if they didn't vote a certain way? Absolutely. If that wasn't his intent, he wouldn't have wasted the time/paper.

You don't know how many employees this guy has. He could own several franchises.

It is a big deal, because he broke the law. It's not a huge deal, and he acknowledged his mistake and apologized.

Tempest in a teapot.

COLUMBUS, Ohio — A handful of McDonald's employees in northeastern Ohio received handbills in their most recent paychecks suggesting they vote for three Republican candidates.

Puhleez. I get propaganda weekly from the NJEA (much of which is filled with untruths) telling me who to vote for and how the sky is falling under Gov. Christie. That's America.

Again, it's not a good analogy unless the NJEA directly controls your paycheck and benefits and is telling you that they will be forced to impose financial sanctions unless the candidates they support win.

This isn't the same situation. This guy cuts these people's checks and is telling them he will dock their checks if the GOP loses.

That's a wholly improper attempt to intimidate people into voting a certain way.

Which is why it is illegal.

Forum List

Back