McConnell Refuses To Detail GOP Agenda

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Think Progress Claiming He Doesn’t Want To ‘Scoop’ Himself, McConnell Refuses To Detail GOP Agenda

Last month, Rep. Peter King (R-NY) said that Republicans shouldn’t “lay out a complete agenda” because it could become a “campaign issue.” Just days later, the heads of the Republican congressional campaign committees — Sens. John Cornyn (R-TX) and Pete Sessions (R-TX) — failed to name a single specific policy they support on NBC’s Meet The Press, instead suggesting that Americans intuitively “understand what Republicans stand for.”

This morning, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) appeared on Bloomberg to discuss policy and the GOP agenda. But he didn’t have much to say either:

HOST: Do Republicans need to articulate what you would do in power, as opposed to simply campaigning against what the President’s done?

MCCONNELL: I think we clearly do need to make sure Americans know what we would do and we’re gonna make that announcement in late September so the voters will have an opp…

HOST: But you have an opportunity right here to spell it out.

MCCONNELL: Yeah but I think I won’t scoop myself. We’ll be making that announcement in late September

Last month, RedState founder and staunch conservative Erick Erickson even told the party to “stop lying” and admit that it’s the “Party of No.”

But it’s not like the GOP has no ideas whatsoever. Rep. Michelle Bachmann (R-MN) thinks that “all [Republicans] should do is issue subpoenas” if they win the House this fall. And House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-OH), who “doesn’t need to see GDP numbers or talk to economists” to determine policy, instead had lobbyists help him come up with a “new policy agenda.”

The Party of No has no ideas and is refusing to let the American people know what their agenda will be until almost the last minute. How shameful.

you're such a partisan modbert....why do you even bother trying to say you're non partisan?

they are not the party of no and if they want to want one more month, then let them wait...i would rather them wait and have a good strategy...

I love it that Modbert is so concerned with how the Republicans are going to campaign, considering the Democrats seem to really need his advice.

This isn't about campaigning, this is about knowing what the Republicans are going to do if they take over the House and or Senate. Or do you not care as long as the Democrats are out?

Of course the Dems are going to try and connect the GOP and Tea Party. Not a very hard job since it's already been done for them.

Republican lawmakers gird for rowdy tea party

Republican lawmakers see plenty of good in the tea party, but they also see reasons to worry. The movement, which has ignited passion among conservative voters and pushed big government to the forefront of the 2010 election debate, has also stirred quite a bit of controversy. Voters who don't want to privatize Social Security or withdraw from the United Nations could begin to see the tea party and the Republican Party as one and the same.

Paul, the GOP Senate nominee in Kentucky, floated the idea of forming an official caucus for tea-party-minded senators in an interview in the National Review as one way he would shake up Washington. Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.), one of the movement's favorite incumbents, filed paperwork on Thursday to register a similar group in the House "to promote Americans' call for fiscal responsibility, adherence to the Constitution, and limited government."

Republicans are the ones who originally called them one in the same. Probably doesn't help matters when each and every ideological poll about the Tea Party discovers that it's a high majority Conservative and represents the GOP base.

you're such a partisan modbert....why do you even bother trying to say you're non partisan?

they are not the party of no and if they want to want one more month, then let them wait...i would rather them wait and have a good strategy...

Ah lovely, what a answer that was! Attack me personally and then say they're not the party of No. Conservatives are telling them to just admit they are the party of no.

You seem to not realize that they've been delaying telling the American people their agenda for awhile now. The fact is they continue to delay doing so until nearly the last minute.

Ah lovely, what a answer that was! Attack me personally and then say they're not the party of No. Conservatives are telling them to just admit they are the party of no.

You seem to not realize that they've been delaying telling the American people their agenda for awhile now. The fact is they continue to delay doing so until nearly the last minute.

Eh, it's a political strategy. Does anyone really expect more from politicians??

Doesn't want to "scoop" himself?!?! Doesn't he really mean O'Limbeck hasn't given him his final marching orders yet??? :cool:

Why should they set out an agenda, when they're in the minority and have no ability to drive it?

Why shouldn't the Pelosi policy, circa 2002, of "we gotta stop them" be good enough when it's guys with (R)s by their names are doing so?

Dems agenda seems to be: inflict as much misery, suffering and spending in a short a time as possible

Why should they set out an agenda, when they're in the minority and have no ability to drive it?

Why shouldn't the Pelosi policy, circa 2002, of "we gotta stop them" be good enough when it's guys with (R)s by their names are doing so?

Because there's a strong possibility that won't be the same come after November's election.

As for Pelosi, I would of disagreed with such comments in 2002, just two problems.

1.) I believe USMB wasn't even in existence yet.

2.) I had no idea who Pelosi was since y'know, I was in around the sixth grade or seventh grade at the time.

The Republicans may want to claim the tea parties, but the tea parties are not en masse supporting the Republicans, not by a long shot.

As for the elections, the cry will be basically, "Anyone not pro-Obama." Thus the rats jumping ship, almost as fast as Obama kicks folks under his bus.

Judging from their past actions, their agenda is going to be Lefty Lite®.

Even if there's a big turnover, the party caucuses are going to be run by career double-dealing insider schmucks, McConnell and Boehner.

What'll most likely happen is that they'll make some token moves to reign in spending and bureaucracy, then the democratics and their willing toadies in the mastodon media will screech as though they're having limbs amputated without anesthesia.

I saw this crappy movie back in '94/'95.

The Republicans may want to claim the tea parties, but the tea parties are not en masse supporting the Republicans, not by a long shot.

As for the elections, the cry will be basically, "Anyone not pro-Obama." Thus the rats jumping ship, almost as fast as Obama kicks folks under his bus.

Really?

The Fix - Tea Party = Republican party?

New data out of Gallup suggests that premise isn't right, as nearly seven in 10 tea party supporters describe themselves as "conservative Republicans."

All told, nearly 80 percent of tea party supporters describe themselves as Republicans, while 15 percent say they are Democrats and just six percent are, in their own minds, "pure independents."

Fifteen percent of tea party backers have a favorable view of the president, while 11 percent of conservative Republicans say the same.

Asked whether they would support a generic Republican or a generic Democrat for Congress this fall, 80 percent of tea party supporters chose the GOP candidate, while 15 percent opted for the Democrat. While the loyalty of tea party supporters to Republican candidates is lower than that of self-identified "conservative Republicans" -- 95 percent of whom back the GOP candidate in the generic ballot -- it is still heavily weighted toward candidates of a certain ideological proclivity.

Sounds like they support Republicans as close as one non-paid political group could be "en masse".

Judging from their past actions, their agenda is going to be Lefty Lite®.

Even if there's a big turnover, the party caucuses are going to be run by career double-dealing insider schmucks, McConnell and Boehner.

What'll most likely happen is that they'll make some token moves to reign in spending and bureaucracy, then the democratics and their willing toadies in the mastodon media will screech as though they're having limbs amputated without anesthesia.

I saw this crappy movie back in '94/'95.

Well remakes are all the rage now. They're never as good as the original though. So remaking a crappy movie is probably not a smart idea.

the right is doing fine with the scare whitey routine, and judging by the white trash fear meter here they are doing a great job.
I'm hoping for tea party wins in the double digits, getting encumbants of both parties out can only be good.

They were filming a remake of "Arthur" on 42nd and Lex, I might be one of the passersby.

Really?

The Fix - Tea Party = Republican party?

New data out of Gallup suggests that premise isn't right, as nearly seven in 10 tea party supporters describe themselves as "conservative Republicans."

All told, nearly 80 percent of tea party supporters describe themselves as Republicans, while 15 percent say they are Democrats and just six percent are, in their own minds, "pure independents."

Fifteen percent of tea party backers have a favorable view of the president, while 11 percent of conservative Republicans say the same.

Asked whether they would support a generic Republican or a generic Democrat for Congress this fall, 80 percent of tea party supporters chose the GOP candidate, while 15 percent opted for the Democrat. While the loyalty of tea party supporters to Republican candidates is lower than that of self-identified "conservative Republicans" -- 95 percent of whom back the GOP candidate in the generic ballot -- it is still heavily weighted toward candidates of a certain ideological proclivity.

Sounds like they support Republicans as close as one non-paid political group could be "en masse".

We'll see. Seems that right now there are two basic choices, thus the answer the Post is finding. However, different questions get different results and time will tell:

Roger L. Simon A New Majority? PJTV Poll Tracks Tea Party Supporters

A New Majority? PJTV Poll Tracks Tea Party Supporters
August 4, 2010 - by Roger L Simon

Share |

Starting today, PJTV — via its Tea Party TV wing, but we’re all PJ Media really — is sponsoring a weekly tracking poll on the public’s attitudes toward the Tea Party Movement (top line results here, video discussion here). Conducted for us by Pulse Opinion Research, these are “likely voter” polls using methods licensed from Rasmussen. One-thousand voters were surveyed on the first go-round with a sampling error of +/- 3%

We would be delighted to know your reactions to these polls as we go forward in the comments sections here or at PJTV. Feel free to suggest questions you would like to see asked and answered. I will be posting my reactions here.

For the first week’s results, I found one at least “interesting” and two I would have to categorize, by varying degrees, as “startling.”

Interesting: 54 percent supported the Tea Party Movement strongly or somewhat. The two categories of support were equally divided. Only 41% opposed the TPM (13% strongly, 28% somewhat).

Startling: 31 percent of self-identified Democrats support the TPM either strongly or somewhat.

Most Startling: Of the 54 percent who support the TPM, 52 percent do so privately [italics clearly deliberate]. Furthermore, just 9 percent consider themselves members of the movement but an additional 21 percent state they have friends and families who are.

In other words — despite all those demonstrations and town hall meetings you may have been watching, reading about or participating in — the Tea Party Movement is still largely sub rosa. Why? Well, a variety of answers suggest themselves (and I am sure you will have more), but, as a Hollywood screenwriter who voted for Bush, I know full well the necessity of keeping your mouth shut. And if we are a nation of people who have been keeping our mouths shut, look out in November.

To be “transparent,” however, as the parlance goes, I should point out that not all polls are showing as much favorability to the TPM as ours. Washington Post/ABC News has one showing some significant disapproval. (The WaPo/ABC poll is of “adults,” not “likely voters,” as ours is.) On the other hand, this poll, conducted by Democratic Party operatives, is perhaps more ominous for the Dems than ours...

Lots of links at site.

Well the Reps could tell them that they were going to "drain the swamp." LOL

I went to your link Annie, I give Gallup and you give me PJTV? :eusa_eh:

I hate to focus on the source, but really? PJTV?

Pajamas Media - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 2007, co-founder Charles Johnson sold his stake in Pajamas Media after growing increasingly disillusioned with the direction Pajamas Media was going, likening it to World Net Daily.[8][9]

Pajamas Media Board members include many prominent bloggers and journalists, including Instapundit, Glenn Reynolds, CNBC's Larry Kudlow, Michael Barone of U.S. News & World Report, David Corn of The Nation, and Claudia Rosett (who helped investigate the United Nations' "Oil for Food" controversy).

Instapundit: Republican

Larry Kudlow: Republican Bush Supporter.

He said this:

Lawrence Kudlow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kudlow firmly denied that U.S. would enter a recession (in 2007) or that the U.S. was in recession (in early and mid 2008). In December, 2007 he wrote: "The recession debate is over. It's not gonna happen. Time to move on. At a bare minimum, we are looking at Goldilocks 2.0. (And that's a minimum). The Bush boom is alive and well. It's finishing up its sixth splendid year with many more years to come".[12] In May, 2008 he wrote:"President George W. Bush may turn out to be the top economic forecaster in the country" in his "R" is for "Right"

Way to go Larry! :thup:

Michael Barone: Conservative Pundit.

And I could go on really.

In January 2009, Samuel Joseph Wurzelbacher (commonly referred to by the moniker "Joe the Plumber" during the 2008 Presidential election in which he became a minor celebrity) became a war correspondent for Pajamas Media.

Yeah, the site lacks credibility Annie. Gallup is a respected poll.

New Topics

Forum List

Back