McConnell on BB Amendment: Amend the Constitution, Elections haven't worked

The Constitution must be amended to keep the government in check. We’ve tried persuasion. We’ve tried negotiations. We’re tried elections. Nothing has worked.

The republicans need to keep their inane political dogma out of the Constitution, the Founding Document is for the people to use when governments violate citizens’ rights, not as a political weapon for the partisan right.

You don't seem to have understood what I said.

You must be used to that by now.
I'm focusing on the part where he says that we need to change the constitution because elections didn't give him the result he wanted. Imagine if politicians said that about every issue?

Indeed.

Just look at the list of moronic ‘amendments’ Bachmann wants to ratify, her proposals would turn the Constitution into a manifesto for a rightwing Christian dictatorship.

The Constitution must be amended to keep the government in check. We’ve tried persuasion. We’ve tried negotiations. We’re tried elections. Nothing has worked.

The republicans need to keep their inane political dogma out of the Constitution, the Founding Document is for the people to use when governments violate citizens’ rights, not as a political weapon for the partisan right.

You don't seem to have understood what I said.

You must be used to that by now.
I'm focusing on the part where he says that we need to change the constitution because elections didn't give him the result he wanted. Imagine if politicians said that about every issue?

Indeed.

Just look at the list of moronic ‘amendments’ Bachmann wants to ratify, her proposals would turn the Constitution into a manifesto for a rightwing Christian dictatorship.

well, contextual myopia may not be treatable, but if I were you, I would try...

The original article from ThinkProgress that includes the video and link to the article below:

Mitch McConnell: We Must Rewrite The Constitution Because ‘Elections’ Haven’t ‘Worked’ | ThinkProgress

[ame=[MEDIA=youtube]9nPCYT8A96g[/MEDIA] - ‪McConnell Hates Democracy‬‏[/ame]

Text of the video:

The time has come for a balanced budget amendment that forces Washington to balance its books. If these debt negotiations have convinced us of anything, it’s that we can’t leave it to politicians in Washington to make the difficult decisions that they need to get our fiscal house in order. The balanced budget amendment will do that for them. Now is the moment. No more games. No more gimmicks. The Constitution must be amended to keep the government in check. We’ve tried persuasion. We’ve tried negotiations. We’re tried elections. Nothing has worked.

Of course, McConnell wants to pass a "balanced budget amendment" which would require a 2/3 majority in order to raise taxes. But that's not all:

The worst idea in Washington - Ezra Klein - The Washington Post

Bruce Bartlett takes a look at the Balanced Budget Amendment all 47 Republicans signed their names to and pronounces it “quite possibly the stupidest constitutional amendment I think I have ever seen. It looks like it was drafted by a couple of interns on the back of a napkin.”

I think “stupid” is the wrong word. “Dangerous” is more like it. And maybe “radical.” This isn’t just a Balanced Budget Amendment. It also includes a provision saying that tax increases would require a two-thirds majority in both houses of Congress — so, it includes a provision making it harder to balance the budget — and another saying that total spending couldn’t exceed 18 percent of GDP. No allowances are made for recessions, though allowances are made for wars. Not a single year of the Bush administration would qualify as constitutional under this amendment. Nor would a single year of the Reagan administration. The Clinton administration would’ve had exactly two years in which it wasn’t in violation.

Read that again: Every single Senate Republican has endorsed a constitutional amendment that would’ve made Ronald Reagan’s fiscal policy unconstitutional. That’s how far to the right the modern GOP has swung.

Can you imagine what the reaction would be if President Obama said we need to amend the constitution to change gun laws because elections haven't worked? Or President Obama saying we need to amend the constitution because elections haven't worked about anything?

thank you for this nugget...

Forum List

Back