McConnell offers Obama temporary deal on Bush tax cuts

Deal? What's the deal.

The Senate's top Republican renewed an offer today to President Obama over the George W. Bush-era tax cuts, due to expire at the end of the year.

"What we ought to be doing is extend the current tax rates for another year with a hard requirement to get through comprehensive tax reform one more time," said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., speaking on CNN's State of the Union.

President Obama and aides have shown little interest in a one-year extension, saying the Bush tax rates should be extended for middle-class Americans but ended this year for the wealthiest.

Former White House press secretary Robert Gibbs, also on CNN, said the Bush tax cuts "disproportionately impact millionaires and billionaires," and should be preserved only for the middle class.

Yes, let's take more money out of the economy, but continue the break for the wealthy.

:lol: But we want those cuts extended for our special interests.

Democrats have zero cred on the subject.

There are far too many people in America who DON'T have a rich man to sign their paycheck to trot out that tired old answer.

I had several "rich" men sign my paycheck. One of them was a major architect of the collapse of the entire global economy. The very last one that signed the check made 10 million dollars his first year on the job. His second year on the job..after firing about half the workforce, reducing market share of the company by a quarter, and the price of the company stock by 80%, still got 10 million his second year. His third year with the company after losing more market share, firing more people, traveling around the world to attend dinners and get drunk..he got another cool 10 million.

Just wondering what these folks do to earn their pay checks?

Deal? What's the deal.

The Senate's top Republican renewed an offer today to President Obama over the George W. Bush-era tax cuts, due to expire at the end of the year.

"What we ought to be doing is extend the current tax rates for another year with a hard requirement to get through comprehensive tax reform one more time," said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., speaking on CNN's State of the Union.

President Obama and aides have shown little interest in a one-year extension, saying the Bush tax rates should be extended for middle-class Americans but ended this year for the wealthiest.

Former White House press secretary Robert Gibbs, also on CNN, said the Bush tax cuts "disproportionately impact millionaires and billionaires," and should be preserved only for the middle class.

Yes, let's take more money out of the economy, but continue the break for the wealthy.

S'funny you say this after watching conservative hero George W. Bush take a surplus and turn it into a massive deficit.

Neat trick.

:clap2:

Let'see, why did Barry Hussein sign the bill that extended the Bush tax cuts? BECAUSE THEY FREAKING WORK.

This has got to be the funniest post of the day. Please explain to me WHAT THEY FREAKING WORK AT?

Here is what you cons seem to be missing. You argue that the tax cuts help put more money into the economy and therefore should create all sorts of economic growth. Well guess what? It ain't fucking working. If it were, we wouldn't have a stagnant economy; the argument is a bunch of hogwash.

Now let's move on and take a serious look at the Bush tax cuts. Initially Bush pushed for these tax cuts because the economy was doing so well and the federal government was taking in more than it needed, or so we were told. The tax cuts were put in place with the stipulation that the be rescinded if tax revenue dropped. The tax cuts were never put in place to spur the economy, although they have been left in place to supposedly do that, yet it has not worked. What has happened is that we have created a bigger debt and because of that massive debt investors are afraid to move forward and invest in America.

Bottom line is that you guys have this all messed up.

However, I am concerned that far too many Americans are NOT getting one.

In other words, that's not trickle down. Somebody is pissing on people, and telling them it's raining.

'...extend the current tax rates for another year with a hard requirement to get through comprehensive tax reform one more time...'

There's the laughline, coming from one of the GOP'ers whose trying to weasel out of the sequester deal they agreed to last year...

I agree a year is BS, it should be for at least 4.

Deal? What's the deal.

S'funny you say this after watching conservative hero George W. Bush take a surplus and turn it into a massive deficit.

Neat trick.

:clap2:

:lmao: When do you get to the part of proving the surplus?

Oh.......you cant..........:lmao:

The government doesn't need damn near 50% of my hard earned money to provide me with "the commons".

wow ... We seem to have a one percenter in our midst.

Actually, of course, not even the wealthiest pay that much so your post is just silly.

OTOH, most of the rw's posting on this board must have incomes of well over $250K a year. Otherwise only an idiot would believe the R line about giving higher tax cuts to the one percent producing jobs because the one percent does not produce jobs and has not produced jobs and will not produce jobs.

D U H

I suppose a poor man signs your paycheck...........

I started working when I was 13 and retired from my own business and passed it on to my kids.

I earned my own way and sign(ed) my own paychecks with no help from the likes of etch a sketch.

How about you?

Yeah..I do.

But even if you widdled down military spending by half..it's a still a huge expense.

I'd widdle down a lot more than just military. You know damn well there's plenty to widdle down across the board without losing programs you hold dear.

We could widdle our budget down to a more reasonable tax burden and you KNOW it.

Actually..I don't "know it".

We have people on one end of the spectrum that have more money then it's possible to spend in a thousand lifetimes and people on the other end of the spectrum that are living in squalor, starving and dying early due to lack of basic medical care.

There is something terribly wrong with that.

And I don't get how that happens. I don't get how someone who essentially bundles things that other people worked to create into a bright shiny package is somehow entitled to accrue more wealth then anyone can count. I don't get how someone who pisses their life away in the bowels of the earth, subjecting themselves to all sorts of diseases while working their asses off can barely feed their families or send them to school.

Don't get me wrong..there's nothing wrong with inequity. But there should be limits.

We have people on one end of the spectrum that have more money then it's possible to spend in a thousand lifetimes and people on the other end of the spectrum that are living in squalor, starving and dying early due to lack of basic medical care.

thank you comrade.

Don't get me wrong..there's nothing wrong with inequity. But there should be limits.

and who will set those 'limits'? you?

cry me a river. :eusa_boohoo:

wow ... We seem to have a one percenter in our midst.

Actually, of course, not even the wealthiest pay that much so your post is just silly.

OTOH, most of the rw's posting on this board must have incomes of well over $250K a year. Otherwise only an idiot would believe the R line about giving higher tax cuts to the one percent producing jobs because the one percent does not produce jobs and has not produced jobs and will not produce jobs.

D U H

I suppose a poor man signs your paycheck...........

I started working when I was 13 and retired from my own business and passed it on to my kids.

I earned my own way and sign(ed) my own paychecks with no help from the likes of etch a sketch.

How about you?

I spent the majority of my adult life working for you and getting lied to.......

Last edited:
Remember when Mitch said this:

For Republican leaders, there was pride in a hand well played. I think some of our members may have thought the default issue was a hostage you might take a chance at shooting. Most of us didn’t think that. What we did learn is this — it’s a hostage that’s worth ransoming."

— Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell

Origins of the debt showdown - The Washington Post

or this:

Unemployment benefits: not until Bush tax cuts pass, Senate GOP says - CSMonitor.com

Damn, those Republicans are good at holding Americans hostage. Some say better than al Qaeda. You gotta admit, they are right up there.

And the USA still continues to have the highest Corporate tax rates.........

Corporate tax rates table | KPMG | GLOBAL

So how does corporations having even more money beyond record profits create jobs here? If you have record profits why do anything different?

-----------------------------------------------------

Although corporate profits recently have hit historic highs, the economy's sluggish 2.2 percent GDP growth doesn't reflect this.

Big US companies adding jobs ... overseas - Economy Watch

U.S. Corporate Tax Rate Plunges To 40 Year Low Of 12.1 Percent

The Fortune 500 generated a total of $824.5 billion in earnings last year, up 16.4% over 2010. That beats the previous record of $785 billion, set in 2006 during a roaring economy. The 2011 profits are outsized based on two key historical metrics. They represent 7% of total sales, vs. an average of 5.14% over the 58-year history of the Fortune 500. Companies are also garnering exceptional returns on their capital. The 500 achieved a return-on-equity of 14.3%, far above the historical norm of 12%.

America's Corporations Made A Record $824 Billion Last Year

I'd widdle down a lot more than just military. You know damn well there's plenty to widdle down across the board without losing programs you hold dear.

We could widdle our budget down to a more reasonable tax burden and you KNOW it.

And I don't get how that happens. I don't get how someone who essentially bundles things that other people worked to create into a bright shiny package is somehow entitled to accrue more wealth then anyone can count. I don't get how someone who pisses their life away in the bowels of the earth, subjecting themselves to all sorts of diseases while working their asses off can barely feed their families or send them to school.

thank you comrade.

and who will set those 'limits'? you?

cry me a river. :eusa_boohoo:

:lol:

I am all for the Free Market.

As in both sides get to do what they want..Labor and management.

Generally it's management that calls in the government when they have labor disputes.

Every single time.

That should stop.

And the USA still continues to have the highest Corporate tax rates.........

Corporate tax rates table | KPMG | GLOBAL

So how does corporations having even more money beyond record profits create jobs here? If you have record profits why do anything different?

-----------------------------------------------------

Although corporate profits recently have hit historic highs, the economy's sluggish 2.2 percent GDP growth doesn't reflect this.

Big US companies adding jobs ... overseas - Economy Watch

U.S. Corporate Tax Rate Plunges To 40 Year Low Of 12.1 Percent

The Fortune 500 generated a total of $824.5 billion in earnings last year, up 16.4% over 2010. That beats the previous record of $785 billion, set in 2006 during a roaring economy. The 2011 profits are outsized based on two key historical metrics. They represent 7% of total sales, vs. an average of 5.14% over the 58-year history of the Fortune 500. Companies are also garnering exceptional returns on their capital. The 500 achieved a return-on-equity of 14.3%, far above the historical norm of 12%.

America's Corporations Made A Record $824 Billion Last Year

Most corporations are reporting a drop in profit this quarter, Do try to keep up.....

Forum List

Back