McConnell Offers 3-Stage ’Last Choice’ Debt Option

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
McConnell Offers 3-Stage

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell proposed a “last choice option” to avoid a default on U.S. debt obligations that effectively would grant President Barack Obama power to unilaterally raise the debt limit in installments.

McConnell’s plan would let the president raise the limit in three stages unless Congress disapproves by a two-thirds majority, while Obama would also be required to propose offsetting spending cuts. The spending reductions would be advisory, and the debt-ceiling increase would occur regardless of whether lawmakers enact the cuts, McConnell said.

Don Stewart, a spokesman for McConnell, said the plan would allow Obama to raise the debt limit while putting the onus on him and congressional Democrats to cut spending.

At the same time, Republicans wouldn’t have to agree to tax increases. The proposal would force Democrats to cast multiple votes to raise the debt ceiling before the next election, while giving Republicans the chance to vote against it without risking a default.

I would hope everyone can see through McConnell's plan and see his true intentions are just to play politics in order to make sure his plan of Obama being a one term President comes true. Despicable and irresponsible.

That's the most unremarkable attempt to pass the buck I've ever seen. What he's basically saying is "don't make me do hard stuff. Republicans can't do hard stuff".

and where in the Constitution does this 2/3rds clause come from?

McConnell Offers 3-Stage

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell proposed a “last choice option” to avoid a default on U.S. debt obligations that effectively would grant President Barack Obama power to unilaterally raise the debt limit in installments.

McConnell’s plan would let the president raise the limit in three stages unless Congress disapproves by a two-thirds majority, while Obama would also be required to propose offsetting spending cuts. The spending reductions would be advisory, and the debt-ceiling increase would occur regardless of whether lawmakers enact the cuts, McConnell said.

Don Stewart, a spokesman for McConnell, said the plan would allow Obama to raise the debt limit while putting the onus on him and congressional Democrats to cut spending.

At the same time, Republicans wouldn’t have to agree to tax increases. The proposal would force Democrats to cast multiple votes to raise the debt ceiling before the next election, while giving Republicans the chance to vote against it without risking a default.

I would hope everyone can see through McConnell's plan and see his true intentions are just to play politics in order to make sure his plan of Obama being a one term President comes true. Despicable and irresponsible.

Maybe what the Republicans in Congress should do is run away to Canada. That would work. Then the dims could do it without them. They'd be heroes then right?

Maybe what the Republicans in Congress should do is run away to Canada. That would work. Then the dims could do it without them. They'd be heroes then right?

Considering the GOP is willing to throw away their best opportunity to cut the deficit because they rather play politics, I figured even you might least the bit angry Willow. But then I remembered, nah, it's Willow! :D

Considering the GOP is willing to throw away their best opportunity to cut the deficit because they rather play politics, I figured even you might least the bit angry Willow. But then I remembered, nah, it's Willow! :D

They'd be heroes if they ran away to Canada to AVOID the vote. Right?

Nope. Though they are effectively doing their best to avoid voting anyway with this proposal.

All you're trying to do though is deflect because you do not have a good argument to refute what I said.

Nope. Though they are effectively doing their best to avoid voting anyway with this proposal.

All you're trying to do though is deflect because you do not have a good argument to refute what I said.

that's fuckin funny,, when the demonRats fled Wisonsin to avoid the vote they were fraking heroes..

that's fuckin funny,, when the demonRats fled Wisonsin to avoid the vote they were fraking heroes..

They fled to block a law that would strip workers of their Constitutionally protected rights. Certainly you can see the difference here.

Considering the GOP is willing to throw away their best opportunity to cut the deficit because they rather play politics...

Are you implying that the Grand Ol' Party might not be serious about cutting the deficit after banging the drum about it since the Prez took office??

They fled to block a law that would strip workers of their Constitutionally protected rights. Certainly you can see the difference here.

Don't bother trying to have a reasonable argument with Willow about this. All she wants to do is deflect away from the OP.

McConnell Offers 3-Stage

McConnell is willing to abdicate his Constitutional responsiblity? Is that even legal?

Obama offered 4 trillion in cuts, which is more than the GOP is offering up and he alienated his own party by offering up entitlement cuts. Maybe it was a bluff but still the GOP won't budge to call his bluff.
I can see Obama as a one-termer but I also see the GOP losing their majority in the House too. People are not going to put up with this gamesmanship come November, 2012. If the debt ceiling isn't raised and the business world experiences what they predict they will experience, the GOP could lose their biggest allies.
All of this just because of narrow-minded partisanship by both parties and party over country. Egads,, what a bunch of losers!

Last edited:
Obama offered 4 trillion in cuts, which is more than the GOP is offering up and he alienated his own party by offering up entitlement cuts. Maybe it was a bluff but still the GOP won't budge to call his bluff.
I can see Obama as a one-termer but I also see the GOP losing their majority in the House too. People are not going to put up with this gamesmanship come November, 2012. If the debt ceiling isn't raised and the business world experiences what they predict they will experience, the GOP could lose their biggest allies.
All of this just because of narrow-minded partisanship by both parties and party over country. Egads,, what a bunch of losers!

Not saying you're wrong, but I find it hard to imagine that the Repubs would lose their House majority in the same election Pres. Obama gets defeated.

McConnell Offers 3-Stage

According to the bolded, above, the debt-ceiling increase would occur regardless of whether spending cuts were actually enacted.

Why does Obama and the Dems have such an aversion to cutting spending?

McConnell Offers 3-Stage

According to the bolded, above, the debt-ceiling increase would occur regardless of whether spending cuts were actually enacted.

Maybe because it puts the sacrifice on those who can afford it the least?

McConnell Offers 3-Stage

So he is playing politics like Obama did this morning when he said seniors may not get their checks?

I dont see the thread you made about that partisan play anywhere on the forum what gives? Maybe it is you that is playing partisan politics?

McConnell Offers 3-Stage

Maybe because it puts the sacrifice on those who can afford it the least?

There's an answer for ya. Now maybe you or some other con on here can explain why there's such an aversion by the "loyal opposition" to raise a few bucks.

Forum List

Back