McCaskill defends Atkins

McCaskill just needs him to stick it out in the race until 5:00 pm tomorrow. After that time he's apparently on the ballot and R's can't change it.

I'm pretty sure he'll drop out tomorrow afternoon. We'll learn he wants to spend more time with his family.

Obama turnin' up his nose...
:eusa_shifty:
White House: Candidate's rape comments 'offensive'
20 Aug.`12 WASHINGTON (AP) — A White House spokesman says a GOP Senate candidate's comments on rape are "offensive" and "wrong."
White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said Monday that comments by Missouri Congressman Todd Akin are "factually wrong, medically wrong and offensive."

Akin said in an interview Sunday that women's bodies can prevent pregnancies in "a legitimate rape" and that conception is rare in such cases.

Akin, who is running to unseat Missouri's Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill, apologized for his comments Monday and said he plans to stay in the Senate race.

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney called comments "insulting, inexcusable, and, frankly, wrong." Two Republican senators have called for Akin to drop out of the Senate race.

White House: Candidate's rape comments 'offensive' - Yahoo! News

See also:

Rep. Akin resists mounting calls to withdraw from Senate race after 'rape' comment
August 20, 2012 - Missouri Republican Senate candidate Todd Akin resisted calls to withdraw from the race Monday over his controversial comments on rape, despite mounting pressure from GOP leaders who roundly condemned his remarks and threatened to cut off funding.
"I am in this race to win. We need a conservative Senate," Akin tweeted Monday afternoon, as he solicited new donations. He also told Fox News' Sean Hannity on his radio show that "we're going to stay in." The tweet followed scattered and unconfirmed reports that Akin was moving to withdraw from the race. Akin, though, rejected those claims publicly even as Republican leaders leaned on him hard to reconsider his bid for Senate.

A source within the National Republican Senatorial Committee told Fox News that Sen. John Cornyn, head of the Senate GOP campaign arm, already has told Akin that if he stays in the race, the $5 million set aside for the Missouri race will be withdrawn. Cornyn, according to the source, told him the party is concerned his presence in the race could imperil Republicans' chances of winning the Senate majority.

Akin, a six-term GOP congressman, is challenging Democratic Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill for her seat. His chances looked fairly sunny -- up until he told an interviewer with Fox affiliate KTVI that a woman's body can typically prevent pregnancy during a "legitimate rape," as he argued against allowing abortions in cases of rape, claiming such pregnancies are uncommon in the first place.

MORE

Last edited:
Obama turnin' up his nose...
:eusa_shifty:
White House: Candidate's rape comments 'offensive'
20 Aug.`12 WASHINGTON (AP) — A White House spokesman says a GOP Senate candidate's comments on rape are "offensive" and "wrong."
White House Press Secretary Jay Carney said Monday that comments by Missouri Congressman Todd Akin are "factually wrong, medically wrong and offensive."

Akin said in an interview Sunday that women's bodies can prevent pregnancies in "a legitimate rape" and that conception is rare in such cases.

Akin, who is running to unseat Missouri's Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill, apologized for his comments Monday and said he plans to stay in the Senate race.

Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney called comments "insulting, inexcusable, and, frankly, wrong." Two Republican senators have called for Akin to drop out of the Senate race.

White House: Candidate's rape comments 'offensive' - Yahoo! News

Romney released a statement saying the basic same thing.

The six-term Missouri GOP congressman, a candidate for U.S. Senate, apparently bailed on a planned interview with CNN's Piers Morgan, leaving the host to berate him as a "gutless little twerp" Monday evening.

Todd Akin Piers Morgan Interview Fail: Embattled Senate Candidate Bails On CNN Host

And you can thank Clair for him if he stays on board and gets elected. She supported him.

Oh what sweet justice that will be.

If he bails and the R's pull in number 2....Clair knows she just got flushed.

She wants him in because he is the only one she had a remote chance of beating.

You think they could pull him out and replace him with someone else and have a remote chance of winning?

Really?

Both Brunner and Steelman would have just as much of a chance to win against Claire. If Akin pulls out tomorrow it will be business as usual by hump day.

She wants him in because he is the only one she had a remote chance of beating.

You think they could pull him out and replace him with someone else and have a remote chance of winning?

Really?

Both Brunner and Steelman would have just as much of a chance to win against Claire. If Akin pulls out tomorrow it will be business as usual by hump day.

Well, maybe... I think if he withdraws now, there isn't an easy way to name a replacement. The party would do it, but frankly, when the party replaces a guy who won a primary, there's just no enthusiasm.

Check out what happened in IL in 2004 when Jack Ryan withdrew, and they replaced him with Alan Keyes.

Really?

Well, maybe... I think if he withdraws now, there isn't an easy way to name a replacement. The party would do it, but frankly, when the party replaces a guy who won a primary, there's just no enthusiasm.

Check out what happened in IL in 2004 when Jack Ryan withdrew, and they replaced him with Alan Keyes.

oh there is enthusiasm alright. All three were just different shades of the same color. Trust me, people who were going to vote against Claire ARE going to vote against her regardless of the name on the ballet. I don't give her very good odds to remain in office. I could be wrong, and I could be jaded while living in a red county, but...

Forum List

Back