McCarthy - the father of the current Republicans

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
Republicans continue to push the idea that this is a center-right country and that Americans have swooned for GOP anti-government posturing all these years, but the real electoral bait has been anger, recrimination and scapegoating. That's why John McCain kept describing Barack Obama as some sort of alien and why Palin, taking a page right out of the McCarthy playbook, kept pushing Obama's relationship with onetime radical William Ayers.

And that is also why the Republican Party, despite the recent failure of McCarthyism, is likely to keep moving rightward, appeasing its more extreme elements and stoking their grievances for some time to come. There may be assorted intellectuals and ideologues in the party, maybe even a few centrists, but there is no longer an intellectual or even ideological wing. The party belongs to McCarthy and his heirs -- Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly and Palin. It's in the genes.
The GOP's McCarthy gene - Los Angeles Times

Interesting analysis.

The political myth is that McCarthy was thoroughly reputiated by the Republican Party thanks to Margaret Chase Smith of Maine.

But just as Mr. Gabler points out, while the man might have been abandoned by his party, his techniques of character assassination by inuendo and outright lies continues even to this day.

Indeed that backstabbing, that belief in winning campaiigns at any cost, was perfected and honed down to a fine point by the Republican Party over time as many of us can recall during the last three or four election cycles.

And this technique is not limited to attacking Democrats. No indeed. Since the attack is on the man, and not his idealogy, it is a highly effective method of winning against fellow republicans, too.

Some of us probably recall, such character assassinating methods were used by the Republicans during their own internacine battles for dominanace against fellow Republicans.

Recall the personal attacks on John McCain and Pat Buchanan in their bids for their party's nomination for President in recent presidental elections.

The bottom line, as far as I can tell, is that attacking the man, rather than his politics is a highly effective system of manipulating the voting public.

We see how thoroughly this McCarthyist technique has become the modus operandi of political debate on this board every damned day.

Last edited:
Interesting analysis.

The political myth is that McCarthy was thoroughly reputiated by the Republican Party thanks to Margaret Chase Smith of Maine.

But just as Mr. Gabler points out, while the man might have been abandoned by his party, his techniques of character assassination by inuendo and outright lies continues even to this day.

Indeed that backstabbing, that belief in winning campaiigns at any cost, was perfected and honed down to a fine point by the Republican Party over time as many of us can recall during the last three or four election cycles.

And this technique is not limited to attacking Democrats. No indeed. Since the attack is on the man, and not his idealogy, it is a highly effective method of winning against fellow republicans, too.

Some of us probably recall, such character assassinating methods were used by the Republicans during their own internacine battles for dominanace against fellow Republicans.

Recall the personal attacks on John McCain and Pat Buchanan in their bids for their party's nomination for President in recent presidental elections.

The bottom line, as far as I can tell, is that attacking the man, rather than his politics is a highly effective system of manipulating the voting public.

Selling the sizzle and not the steak pretty much decribes the way that campaigns are far too often conducted now.

We see how effectively this has become the modus operandi of politics on this board every damned day.

I would die laughing if you guys weren't so pathetic. The above describes the democrats quite well indeed. But do pretend it does not. I have been paying attention to elections since 1976, my first. And the Democrats are past masters at the exact attacks you describe above. On each other and the "enemy"

What I love is the fact the democrats have honed the " attack the messenger" down to a fine art and you all claim it is a republican trait. Then there is the democrats tried and true policy of repeating the lie over and over till someone eventually believes it just because they have heard it for so long.

Do bray on, I am sure you will get a bunch of Liberals in this thread to agree with you. Ohh wait, I forgot, you all are embarrassed to be called that and pretend you are moderates.

I would die laughing if you guys weren't so pathetic. The above describes the democrats quite well indeed. But do pretend it does not. I have been paying attention to elections since 1976, my first. And the Democrats are past masters at the exact attacks you describe above. On each other and the "enemy"

What I love is the fact the democrats have honed the " attack the messenger" down to a fine art and you all claim it is a republican trait. Then there is the democrats tried and true policy of repeating the lie over and over till someone eventually believes it just because they have heard it for so long.

Do bray on, I am sure you will get a bunch of Liberals in this thread to agree with you. Ohh wait, I forgot, you all are embarrassed to be called that and pretend you are moderates.

Indeed. We seldom agree but on this you are correct! The op is nothing more than an attempt to silence any criticism, lest being labeled a McCarthyite, much akin to the 'racist' charge if choosing not to vote for the one.

Interesting analysis.

We see how thoroughly this McCarthyist technique has become the modus operandi of political debate on this board every damned day.

This is hillarious and about as "listen to what I say don't look at what I'm doing" as it gets. The article describes the current left in politics to a "t".

You're right. The style is not limited to attacking just Republicans. Recall Hillary Clinton's bid for her party's nomination.

I also agree that attacking the person not the argument is the MO around here.

But you are just the pot calling the kettle black. The fact that you think it's one-sided at all is a joke.

Indeed. We seldom agree but on this you are correct! The op is nothing more than an attempt to silence any criticism, lest being labeled a McCarthyite, much akin to the 'racist' charge if choosing not to vote for the one.

This has nothing to do with Obama yet you can't help but bring him up why is that?

Are you denying that the Republican party is the party of fear and smear? really? even after the last three campaigns?

Pull your head out of the sand and look around.

It couldn't be more obvious if tattooed on the inside of every person's eyelids. One thing you can count on from the left ... just when you start wondering how much lower they can go, they don't disappoint for an answer.:lol:

:lol: you cons are so busy trying to act innocent you can't even acknowledge how the country sees you. Your party will continue to lose as long as you continue to deny your image.

and right or wrong it's YOUR image and it's what cost you the election this time around.

This has nothing to do with Obama yet you can't help but bring him up why is that?

Are you denying that the Republican party is the party of fear and smear? really? even after the last three campaigns?

Pull your head out of the sand and look around.

The democrats are past masters at Fear and smear, they honed their campaigns on such tactics.

:lol: you cons are so busy trying to act innocent you can't even acknowledge how the country sees you. Your party will continue to lose as long as you continue to deny your image.

and right or wrong it's YOUR image and it's what cost you the election this time around.

As opposed to us stealing the 2000, 2002 and 2004 elections? Sure thing, the delusional one is you.

Pathetic? Isn't pathetic one who thinks Michigan is Minnesota? Or one who openly says that he would still vote for Bush twice?

Boy, isn't that the pot calling the kettle black

The democrats are past masters at Fear and smear, they honed their campaigns on such tactics.

I look forward to examples of Democrats pulling stunts like

Willie Horton
Swiftboaters for truth
Chambliss' attacks on Cleland
the 8 year investigation into Clinton
the 2000 attack on McCain by Bush
Palin's attacks on Obama

and yes, Hillary went negative agaisnt Obama. It's what ultimately cost her the nomination IMO.

As opposed to us stealing the 2000, 2002 and 2004 elections? Sure thing, the delusional one is you.

me? :lol: uh huh.

Historians will decide if the 2000 election was stolen not me and certainly not you. When our children's children look back on that election how do you think it will be viewed?

I never thought the 2002 or 2004 elections were stolen....I think people were genuinely affraid to change leadership following 9/11.

Presumably because some observations were made about the nature of Republicanism and the poster was seeking to draw a parallel with Democrat techniques. Does that answer your question? Or was it rhetorical?

How anyone can fail to agree that attacking on personal issues rather than political ones is a trait well established and well used in both parties is simply amazing to me, particularly among those who are regular users of this board.

That said, it's only my perception but to me Obama seems less culpable in this regard than many of those around him. I'm sure many will be able to provide evidence that this is not the case, but that's certainly the perspective I have now that the campaign is over.

Of course, it may very well be that he had others do his dirty work for him - smart man if he did. Maybe that's just me being cynical, but the line between cynicism and reality is a thin one.

I can't recall any Democrat setting out to characterize another Democrat as a NAZI, can you?

That's what they did to Buchanan, and it worked extremely well, too.

No, while I'm more than willing to acknowledge that the Democratic party has its share of corruption, I have to tell you that the techique of all out character assassination is the number one methodology of tht ecurrent Republican Party.

You can try to suggest that the Dems play the same game, but you'll be hard pressed to show examples of that sort of underhanded nonsense being used by Democrats ON democrats.

Interesting analysis.

This method usually works well for them. I believe it failed in 2006 because by then most Americans realized that invading Iraq was a big mistake and in 2008 the current economic situation was pretty much ignored by McCain except for his publicity stunt. And they overreached, it was comical to see Republican politicians blaming the economic meltdown on minority borrowers.

This is hillarious and about as "listen to what I say don't look at what I'm doing" as it gets. The article describes the current left in politics to a "t".

You're right. The style is not limited to attacking just Republicans. Recall Hillary Clinton's bid for her party's nomination.

I also agree that attacking the person not the argument is the MO around here.

But you are just the pot calling the kettle black. The fact that you think it's one-sided at all is a joke.

Sure...calling attention to the fact that Palin wasn't up to the job was just like McCarthyism...sure it was.

At least Hillary attacked what she saw as Obama's readiness.... not his "associations".... and she didn't run around talking about the "pro-America" parts of the country....

It was endemic in the Repub campaign. It just didn't work this time because things were just too bad to let that govern who won. And, to his credit, McCain let Palin make the most egregious comments and didn't stoop to that level himself.

Interesting analysis.

One could go back through history and point out the same for the Democrats. However, after what the Obama camp did this past election season through the primaries on, I have to chuckle at your denial and labeling of others.

It's comical, you guys won and your still not happy. Why aren't you rubbing it in the republican's face all of the positive steps of change Obama is taking and his plans as he is now in the newly created office of The President Elect and having press conference after press conference sharing his stead fast goals and plans?

Politics is dirty and both sides made it that way. Sadly it seems that very few are willing to even rise above that and Obama certainly was not one of them.

Until we are the employers demand more and until we cross party lines and reprimand through our votes, this will continue. It's nothing but a cheap side show and I agree, it is sad that people fall for it.

Sure...calling attention to the fact that Palin wasn't up to the job was just like McCarthyism...sure it was.

At least Hillary attacked what she saw as Obama's readiness.... not his "associations".... and she didn't run around talking about the "pro-America" parts of the country....

It was endemic in the campaign. It just didn't work this time because things were just too bad to let that govern who won.

yeah, when hillary's campaign released that picture of obama in muslim dress, it was all about his readiness, right?

please.

Forum List

Back