McCarthy - the father of the current Republicans

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Ravi, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,813
    The GOP's McCarthy gene - Los Angeles Times

2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Interesting analysis.

The political myth is that McCarthy was thoroughly reputiated by the Republican Party thanks to Margaret Chase Smith of Maine.

But just as Mr. Gabler points out, while the man might have been abandoned by his party, his techniques of character assassination by inuendo and outright lies continues even to this day.

Indeed that backstabbing, that belief in winning campaiigns at any cost, was perfected and honed down to a fine point by the Republican Party over time as many of us can recall during the last three or four election cycles.

And this technique is not limited to attacking Democrats. No indeed. Since the attack is on the man, and not his idealogy, it is a highly effective method of winning against fellow republicans, too.

Some of us probably recall, such character assassinating methods were used by the Republicans during their own internacine battles for dominanace against fellow Republicans.

Recall the personal attacks on John McCain and Pat Buchanan in their bids for their party's nomination for President in recent presidental elections.

The bottom line, as far as I can tell, is that attacking the man, rather than his politics is a highly effective system of manipulating the voting public.

We see how thoroughly this McCarthyist technique has become the modus operandi of political debate on this board every damned day.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,985
    I would die laughing if you guys weren't so pathetic. The above describes the democrats quite well indeed. But do pretend it does not. I have been paying attention to elections since 1976, my first. And the Democrats are past masters at the exact attacks you describe above. On each other and the "enemy"

What I love is the fact the democrats have honed the " attack the messenger" down to a fine art and you all claim it is a republican trait. Then there is the democrats tried and true policy of repeating the lie over and over till someone eventually believes it just because they have heard it for so long.

Do bray on, I am sure you will get a bunch of Liberals in this thread to agree with you. Ohh wait, I forgot, you all are embarrassed to be called that and pretend you are moderates.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Indeed. We seldom agree but on this you are correct! The op is nothing more than an attempt to silence any criticism, lest being labeled a McCarthyite, much akin to the 'racist' charge if choosing not to vote for the one.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    This is hillarious and about as "listen to what I say don't look at what I'm doing" as it gets. The article describes the current left in politics to a "t".

You're right. The style is not limited to attacking just Republicans. Recall Hillary Clinton's bid for her party's nomination.

I also agree that attacking the person not the argument is the MO around here.

But you are just the pot calling the kettle black. The fact that you think it's one-sided at all is a joke.

6. Silence

Silence wanna lick?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457
    This has nothing to do with Obama yet you can't help but bring him up why is that?

Are you denying that the Republican party is the party of fear and smear? really? even after the last three campaigns?

Pull your head out of the sand and look around.

7. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    It couldn't be more obvious if tattooed on the inside of every person's eyelids. One thing you can count on from the left ... just when you start wondering how much lower they can go, they don't disappoint for an answer.:lol:

8. Silence

Silence wanna lick?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +457
    :lol: you cons are so busy trying to act innocent you can't even acknowledge how the country sees you. Your party will continue to lose as long as you continue to deny your image.

and right or wrong it's YOUR image and it's what cost you the election this time around.

9. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,985
    The democrats are past masters at Fear and smear, they honed their campaigns on such tactics.

10. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,985
    As opposed to us stealing the 2000, 2002 and 2004 elections? Sure thing, the delusional one is you.