McCain's Real Estate Developer Crony - Think Rezko on Crack & Steroids

Dogger

Apr 16, 2008
Dixie
McCain helped Diamond purchase Fort Ord land for $250,000 in 1999. The land was improved for roughly $10 million, and then sold for $20 million profit two years later.

A Developer, His Deals and His Ties to McCain

By DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK and JIM RUTENBERG
Published: April 22, 2008

Donald R. Diamond, a wealthy Arizona real estate developer, was racing to snap up a stretch of virgin California coast freed by the closing of an Army base a decade ago when he turned to an old friend, Senator John McCain.

When Mr. Diamond wanted to buy land at the base, Fort Ord, Mr. McCain assigned an aide who set up a meeting at the Pentagon and later stepped in again to help speed up the sale, according to people involved and a deposition Mr. Diamond gave for a related lawsuit. When he appealed to a nearby city for the right to develop other property at the former base, Mr. Diamond submitted Mr. McCain’s endorsement as “a close personal friend.”

Writing to officials in the city, Seaside, Calif., the senator said, “You will find him as honorable and committed as I have.”

Courting local officials and potential partners, Mr. Diamond’s team promised that he could “help get through some of the red tape in dealing with the Department of the Army” because Mr. Diamond “has been very active with Senator McCain,” a partner said in a deposition.

For Mr. McCain, the Arizona Republican who has staked two presidential campaigns on pledges to avoid even the appearance of dispensing an official favor for a donor, Mr. Diamond is the kind of friend who can pose a test.

. . .

A Deal and a Lawsuit

In the mid-1990s, Mr. Diamond set his sights on Monterey County, Calif., where the Army was closing Fort Ord. It was a dream property — hundreds of undeveloped acres and two golf courses in the ocean-misted hills overlooking Monterey Bay, one of California’s great tourist destinations.

Tipped off by a fellow Tucson developer, Mr. Diamond had snapped up a housing complex there that had been built on land leased from the Army, giving him the inside track to buying the land when the base shut down.

After the Army did so in 1994, Mr. Diamond asked Mr. McCain, a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, for an introduction with an Army official who could work out a sale. Mr. McCain’s legislative aide, Ann Sauer, arranged a meeting with Paul W. Johnson, a deputy assistant secretary, a Diamond executive involved in the deal said.

When the talks stalled over price and water supply, Ms. Sauer interceded with the Army, according to Mr. Diamond’s deposition and others involved. “She showed up and got the thing resolved,” Mr. Diamond said.

Mr. McCain’s campaign aides said in a statement they did not believe Ms. Sauer’s involvement went beyond setting up the Pentagon meeting. Ms. Sauer, who no longer works for Mr. McCain, said she could not recall details of her role. A spokesman for the Army declined to comment.

Mr. Diamond finally bought the land for $250,000 in 1999. He obtained an unusual guarantee from the Army that provided a generous water allowance outside the standard allocation process — a bonus that continues to rankle municipal officials on the dry Monterey Peninsula.

“Those guys got a sweetheart deal,” said Michael Keenan, whose family bought the housing complex from Mr. Diamond for nearly $30 million two years later. Mr. Diamond acknowledged turning a profit of $20 million.

Think Rezko on Crack & Steroids

OMG! I hate it when people make money.

How do you feel when they steal your money? Diamond used his influence with McCain to get taxpayer-owned property for cheap. The discount he received came out of our pockets, and it was a much bigger chunk of change than any welfare queen has stolen.

He's a republican, it's okay to steal from US. They call that business.

Obama is a Democrat. His buddy is a crook.

Haven't you figured that out yet?

Right, Ali?

How do you feel when they steal your money? Diamond used his influence with McCain to get taxpayer-owned property for cheap. The discount he received came out of our pockets, and it was a much bigger chunk of change than any welfare queen has stolen.

Right, Ali?

:rolleyes:

How is it stealing? How much did the US Government pay for it to begin with? Was there not really a plan to sell it anyway? How exactly did a discount come out of your pocket? Also, government owned does not equal taxpayer owned. I thought you were a lawyer.

Right, Ali?

I guess I missed the part where they broke into the Pentagon and stole the deed to the place. That is only way it could classified as anything close to theft. But, this is coming from the people that still try to convnce me that a Rhodes scholar doesn't know the definition of the "is" and a blow job isn't sex.

I guess I missed the part where they broke into the Pentagon and stole the deed to the place. That is only way it could classified as anything close to theft. But, this is coming from the people that still try to convnce me that a Rhodes scholar doesn't know the definition of the "is" and a blow job isn't sex.

It's just the beginning. This is all deflective bullshit to get eyes off Obama. Wait until the Democrat Primary is over. We will be inundated with left-wing propaganda.

How is it stealing? How much did the US Government pay for it to begin with? Was there not really a plan to sell it anyway? How exactly did a discount come out of your pocket? Also, government owned does not equal taxpayer owned. I thought you were a lawyer.

I'm not writing a legal treatise, and I'm not writing for just the smart people on this board.

If a con artist tricks your grandmother into selling her appreciated home to him at it's original cost, is that not stealing? Does it matter if he bribed your crooked uncle to help him?

In America, we own the government and we pay for it. The money the US did not get could have been used to pay expenses that otherwise are paid by taxpayers.

I'm not writing a legal treatise, and I'm not writing for just the smart people on this board.

If a con artist tricks your grandmother into selling her appreciated home to him at it's original cost, is that not stealing? Does it matter if he bribed your crooked uncle to help him?

In America, we own the government and we pay for it. The money the US did not get could have been used to pay expenses that otherwise are paid by taxpayers.

No it is not stealing. It isn't ethical, but not theft. I'm sure the left has a monopoly on ethics. Right?

No it is not stealing. It isn't ethical, but not theft.

I used stealing rather than the more technical legal terms like larceny, embezzlement, fraud or theft for a reason. This kind of taking from the government is legal only because politicians like McCain have refused to criminalize something which should be a crime.

I'm sure the left has a monopoly on ethics. Right?
These days, that is unfortunately true.

I used stealing rather than the more technical legal terms like larceny, embezzlement, fraud or theft for a reason. This kind of taking from the government is legal only because politicians like McCain have refused to criminalize something which should be a crime.

Sure thing. Remind us how Pelosi wanted to promote Jefferson just months before he was finally indicted. MONTHS after it was patently obvious he was a crook. Or do you believe hiding 90 k of bribary money in your freezer is just a prudent way to care for your money? She did not like the person next in line for the Job and announced she preferred Jefferson. Oh wait, now do the tap dance and DEMAND, indignantly of course, for a link.

As for Ethics, we have a slew of Democrats crashing and burning right now to point us to that bright beacon on the hill that is democratic ethics. And we have the Former president Bill Clinton to hold up as the most ethical President ever.

[It's just the beginning. This is all deflective bullshit to get eyes off Obama. Wait until the Democrat Primary is over. We will be inundated with left-wing propaganda./QUOTE]

What a crock, Gunny. Your side has already started doing this to Obama and will continue after he is nominated.

I guess right wing propaganda is okay?

RGS: Get over Clinton. He has been gone for almost 8 fucking years. And with Bush in the office they have been fucking years.

Is it more ethical to start an unneeded war and kill 4000 plus Americans or to perjure yourself about a BJ?

This thread didn't start off saying only Repubs do this. It pointed out how McCain used his official position to help a friend get a windfall profit from government owned land. That is unethical.

The responses are typical of trying to deflect that point and cry out the Left is Evil, The Left is Evil. Well so is the Right.

Yet none of those terms apply here. He facilitated a sale. People made money. Hurray Capitalism!

Neither left nor right has a monopoly on ethics. Hell I;m sure sure they know how to spell the word inside the beltway.

Hurray Capitalism!

It's not just capitalism. It's crony capitalism.
smashfreakB.gif

Forum List

Back