McCain's golden opportunity

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
From Dana Bash
CNN

Chula Vista, CALIFORNIA (CNN) -- While the Democratic presidential candidates are duking it out on the campaign trail, Sen. John McCain is trying to fill up his campaign coffers. But some supporters fear he's not making the most of his time.

Just back from his eighth trip to Iraq, McCain returned to the campaign trail Monday in Chula Vista,California, with last week's words from Osama bin Laden in hand.

"He urged Palestinians and people of Syria, Lebanon, Jordan and Saudi Arabia to -- quote -- 'help and support the mujahadeen brothers in Iraq, which is greatest opportunity and the biggest task,' " McCain said.

It's proof, he argued, that Democrats are dead wrong about the war in Iraq.

"My Democrat opponents, who want to pull out of Iraq, refuse to understand what's being said ... the central battleground is Iraq in this struggle against radical Islamic extremism," he said.

Absent from McCain's remarks to California veterans was any mention of the new grim death toll released Monday: 4,000 U.S. troops in the war zone he just visited. Watch more of McCain's campaign travels »

Asked about the toll, McCain responded with a personal story of one soldier's heroism.

"I wear a bracelet on my hand not only as a symbol of the sacrifice that a brave young man named Matthew Stanley made but that of 4,000 other brave young Americans who have served and sacrificed," McCain said. "My prayers go out to those families every day, not just on the day that 4,000 brave young Americans have sacrificed."

McCain continues to challenge Democrats to admit the military surge in Iraq is working.

Still, privately some McCain supporters tell CNN they worry the campaign is not using this time to develop a clear message.

more ... http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/25/mccain.strategy/index.html

"I'm the third Democrat" would be a good, clear message.

The Republicans are a canny bunch. They pick the only guy who could have saved them from annihilation even though nobody likes him.

Then there are the Democrats who have two "dream" candidates and could still snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, even with pretty much every single structural advantage a party can have.

So typical.

Amnesty does not make him a democrat. Do you even know what the core Republican principles are?

The sad thing here is that you feel the need to call them "Republican" principles rather than conservative ones. If that isn't a glaring example of the growing rift in the GOP and those who have supported it, then there isn't one.

Name your poison. Either it is that McCain doesn't want to offend the wealthy, globalist supporters of the GOP by taking away their cheap labor and destroying the integrity of our border at the same time ... or he's a bleeding heart who doesn't care what damage illegals do to this nation so long as they're "bettering themselves" at our expense. And destroying the integrity of our border.

Either one you choose is a loser to me.

The sad thing here is that you feel the need to call them "Republican" principles rather than conservative ones. If that isn't a glaring example of the growing rift in the GOP and those who have supported it, then there isn't one.

Name your poison. Either it is that McCain doesn't want to offend the wealthy, globalist supporters of the GOP by taking away their cheap labor and destroying the integrity of our border at the same time ... or he's a bleeding heart who doesn't care what damage illegals do to this nation so long as they're "bettering themselves" at our expense. And destroying the integrity of our border.

Either one you choose is a loser to me.

The reason I call them "Republican" principles, is because that is what they. It was the consevatives who hijacked my party. Not the other way around. It was never about beng a conservatve in the Republcan Party until recently. You want to refer to yourself as a conservatve then go right ahead, I think that I will stay a republican.

The reason I call them "Republican" principles, is because that is what they. It was the consevatives who hijacked my party. Not the other way around. It was never about beng a conservatve in the Republcan Party until recently. You want to refer to yourself as a conservatve then go right ahead, I think that I will stay a republican.

You're fucking crazy. Do you have even the SLIGHTEST bit of information to provide to back up such a ridiculous statement?

Maybe you're just confused about conservatism in general. We're not talking about the rabid evangelicals who hijacked conservatism and turned it into an issue of bible thumping your way into office. We're talking about guys like Barry Goldwater, Robert Taft, Ike Eisenhower. RECENTLY, the republican party has gone AWAY from conservatism. You are obviously very confused. Karl Rove really has fucked things up for you.

How you could say what you just said, I have no clue. But it expands on what Gunny already said to you. You've been taken for quite a ride by the MSM in the last 10 years to even think you can get away with saying what you just said.

McCain is a poor candidate because he is a nice but boring man. He has had to change so many of his core ideas that he hasn't much to say that wouldn't contradict something he did or said in the past. It's strange watching him today as he seems lost sometimes when he is away from the programmed talk.

You're fucking crazy. Do you have even the SLIGHTEST bit of information to provide to back up such a ridiculous statement?

Maybe you're just confused about conservatism in general. We're not talking about the rabid evangelicals who hijacked conservatism and turned it into an issue of bible thumping your way into office. We're talking about guys like Barry Goldwater, Robert Taft, Ike Eisenhower. RECENTLY, the republican party has gone AWAY from conservatism. You are obviously very confused. Karl Rove really has fucked things up for you.

How you could say what you just said, I have no clue. But it expands on what Gunny already said to you. You've been taken for quite a ride by the MSM in the last 10 years to even think you can get away with saying what you just said.

You are correct. I mis-typed. What I meant was neo-conservatism or as political scientists call it, "modern conservatism." Bible thumping conservatism is what I was refering to. The "Republican" principles that I refer to are founded in an ancient conservatism that seems to not exist anymore. Sorry for the confusion, It was late and I was tired. Guess I wasn't typing full thoughts.

I prefer the term republican principles, because the conservative label is not the same as it once was. That definition has has changed, as had the rest of the world. Anyone can construe or skew the definition of conservative as much as they like, but the core Republican principles cannot be skewed.

You are correct. I mis-typed. What I meant was neo-conservatism or as political scientists call it, "modern conservatism." Bible thumping conservatism is what I was refering to. The "Republican" principles that I refer to are founded in an ancient conservatism that seems to not exist anymore. Sorry for the confusion, It was late and I was tired. Guess I wasn't typing full thoughts.

I prefer the term republican principles, because the conservative label is not the same as it once was. That definition has has changed, as had the rest of the world. Anyone can construe or skew the definition of conservative as much as they like, but the core Republican principles cannot be skewed.

No harm done. I just get so sick of seeing people skewer the ideology of conservatism because of what they perceive it to be based on the past 10-20 years worth of establishment manipulation.

It's the reason I'm a Ron Paul supporter, and a supporter of anyone who has the balls to promote that ideology...one of limited federal government and fiscal responsibility. Republicans have been hijacked, and that's apparently not what they believe in anymore. Republicans are now willing to elect one of their more liberal members, just to beat a dem. It's not about the country for most voters, it's about the party, and that's why we end up with nothing worth voting for from either party.

That how you see it? Fine. Then DO tell what the Republican principles are this week ...

I don't seem to be able to find "Republican" listed as a political ideology though.

Okay, I can buy this one. However, you don't abandon a principle nor rename it because someone attempts to hijack it. Neocons are what they are.

And a neocon is exactly what McCain represents to me.

I think he might make a pretty savvy president.

At least he'll talk....Bush has driven me nuts with the way he refuses to address certain issues because he won't get in the mud.

I mean, you don't have to get in the mud to get the support of the people when they're hearing crap about you. You just have to have a killer speech writer.

Reagan knew that. He was always classy, but he NEVER just let things slide.

HOpefully, McCain can pull some of that out of his butt. I'm not holding my breath, though. Haven't seen anything spectacular yet.

Okay, I can buy this one. However, you don't abandon a principle nor rename it because someone attempts to hijack it. Neocons are what they are.

And a neocon is exactly what McCain represents to me.

Gonna have to agree to disagree. Sorry, but I think McCain will surprise you.

Gonna have to agree to disagree. Sorry, but I think McCain will surprise you.

One of the strongest things MCcain has going for him is his pit bull attitude when it comes to fiscal responsiblity. When so many Republicans and Democrats in Congress were spending billions of dollars on their own pet projects(earmarks), Mccain spent nothing. Yes I do wish he had more of a tougher position on illegals, but I will say this is light years ahead of Obama and Clinton.

Forum List

Back