McCain will be more like Reagan than Bush ever was

to me, the antithesis of conservative thought is trying to interfere with other people's choices by using the govt- social conservatism is an oxymoron, IMO.

you wanna marry somebody with the same plumbing as you? mazel tov

you wanna go to church and chuck snakes and speak in tongues? Godspeed

none of my, or the govt's, business.

I couldn't have put it better myself. It's funny to me how many so-called conservatives want to legislate social issues via constitutional amendments, all the while chiding liberals for wanting to legislate issues themselves.

It's ok to legislate our lives, so long as it fits your belief system. :rolleyes:

Calling bullshit on that one "social conservatives", sorry.

freethought said:
Eisenhower's presidential legacy is actually viewed as far more mixed now, than you might think. Iran and Vietnam are the big foreign policy issues that are cited, and there are a number of domestic issues as well. Still, Compared to recent gop/conservative presidents he is far and a way the best choice.

But something I noticed in your sigfile, the values that are described are actually classical LIBERAL values. And, that to me is funny. It's only in our country that we are forced to call them libertarian, and that's because the two parties have created a political system and culture that is far different than anywhere else in the developed world.

I honestly think if the 'true' conservatives were to take control of the GOP, and kick the religious and even social conservatives out (by that I mean remove ALL opposition to abortion, and maybe even take a hands off approach to gay marriage), and apply small government, fiscally prudent measures, stop domestic spying programs etc, then they might be able to get elected and hold power for quite some time. Of course, this would also involve major clawbacks and disarmament, and that fundamentally would alter America's place in the world with completely unknown results.

I'll accept that statement about classical liberalism. It's accurate, actually. I'm just as proud to call myself a classical liberal, as I am to call myself a libertarian, or a conservative for that matter. Where conservatism is concerned, I'm most interested in the fiscal aspect. Although I happen to be a huge proponent of the traditional family, proper and adequate pro-active parenting, etc. I don't agree with homosexuality, but I seriously couldn't care less what sex you prefer. The problem we have is that the media and TV in general has turned homosexuality into a trend, which is ridiculous. It shouldn't be any more public than a heterosexual's personal preferences. If people didn't make such a big deal about sexuality, it wouldn't be the huge political issue it is today.

I have to agree with Clinton's philosophy. Don't ask, don't tell. And that goes for everyday life, not just military.

Ronald Reagan is still considered the best President we had in the 20th century. Proof of that was when he died. Americans--(republican, democrats, independents) lined the streets, some in tears. He was a great man, & he was a conservative. He was not a big spender, did not believe in big government, & believed that the American people could handle their money much better than the federal government.

Who does this sound like today? Answer: Sarah Palin! She is a true conservative.

McCain is a moderate. But since he is a moderate he will work much better across isles, which we have seen in the past. He's worked on bills with Hillary Clinton & Joe Biden--& is greatly respected by both. They both have stated (when they're not running against him) that he would make a great President.

According to economic charts i have seen in Macroeconomics class, Reagan ran a pretty huge deficit (spent more than received, not a good thing). He did cut unemployment rate and had a great vision of government should be (limited, and for god sake, not bailing out Wall Street).

Maybe it is time to implement financial literacy courses in grade school. We have to train the future generation of Americans how to manage their finances. Make art optional and finance mandatory.

Forum List

Back