McCain will be more like Reagan than Bush ever was

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
ModernConservative - Blog

“Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.”—President Ronald Wilson Reagan

The United States is rapidly moving towards the 2008 national elections, ushering in a new era in politics. However, before opening a new chapter, it is necessary to first close the chapter on the old book, and reflect on the past eight years where the Republicans have held the Presidency, the House of Representatives, and the Senate for the majority of George W. Bush’s term in office. Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, you need not look any further than my title to realize how I, as a conservative feel about the Bush years. Many conservatives, myself included got into the trap of believing that George W. Bush would serve the Republican party well, that he would be a president very similar to Reagan, in the same way that while they never connected with the elites, they both always connected well with the American people. Unfortunately, not only was President Bush not like Reagan, but he completely dismantled the Reagan legacy of conservatism for socially conservative, big government populism. Before we move forward, we must understand what we are moving forward from, which is the Bush years that were a complete failure for conservatism and for the Republican Party.

“Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.”—President Ronald Wilson Reagan

The United States is rapidly moving towards the 2008 national elections, ushering in a new era in politics. However, before opening a new chapter, it is necessary to first close the chapter on the old book, and reflect on the past eight years where the Republicans have held the Presidency, the House of Representatives, and the Senate for the majority of George W. Bush’s term in office. Ladies and Gentlemen of the jury, you need not look any further than my title to realize how I, as a conservative feel about the Bush years. Many conservatives, myself included got into the trap of believing that George W. Bush would serve the Republican party well, that he would be a president very similar to Reagan, in the same way that while they never connected with the elites, they both always connected well with the American people. Unfortunately, not only was President Bush not like Reagan, but he completely dismantled the Reagan legacy of conservatism for socially conservative, big government populism. Before we move forward, we must understand what we are moving forward from, which is the Bush years that were a complete failure for conservatism and for the Republican Party.

reagan was no conservative; he was LBJ with a good haircut and a different agenda. at least he wasn't a whore like W; I'll give him that.

conservative.

as if.

reagan was no conservative; he was LBJ with a good haircut and a different agenda. at least he wasn't a whore like W; I'll give him that.

conservative.

as if.

And you're very ignorant of the facts...

Reagan was a second rate actor as an actor and a little bit better actor as a president.

He could read a script well and so he became the great communicator.

Obama can do this also, but now because of Mumbles running, speaking skills no longer count.

Obama can do this also.

sorry, just can't see him delivering the "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" line as effectively as Reagan did, Obama would probably turn it into a 10 minute dissertation on the potential benefits and risks of removing one stone symbolically, punctuated with a series of uhs and ums

Reagan and Bush are responsible for 90% of the National Debt.

The North Shore oil started flowing when he came into office.

To describe Reagan in one word, it would be "lucky."

Do libtards ever feel a bit ridiculous for telling such outlandish lies?

Or is lying so much a part of their culture and their personality that they just don't notice?

I've never understood how conservatives continue to think reagan was a great president. A great speaker, and a presence that made people feel positively about him, but his record is very mixed.

1. Saddam Hussein
2. Iran Contra
3. Osama bin Laden
4. tripling the national debt.
5. high unemployment.
6. first term with a rough avg. of 9% unemployment
7. second term of about 6% unemployment
8. spread bio and chem weapons
9. the horrible things that happened under the counter-revolutionaries we backed in latin america
10. for every tear down this wall, there was one or more "trees cause more pollution than cars."

Now before all kinds of people jump all over this, all of the above are accurate (within a few percentage pts, since I did the avg in my head for unemployment), and demonstrably true. So you can feel free to post whatever wonderful things you think he did, but that doesn't change the above, which speak loudly and volumes.

Two final things, A) only people who are ignorant and arch conservatives think that 'reagan won the cold war.' so please don't raise that as a counter, it only makes you look stupid and ignorant. No peer reviewed study in the last 15 years has come to any conclusion approaching that. B) my favorite reagan memory actually came about 3 years ago at a speech Colin Powell gave. It was a smallish gathering, and he was very candid about each of the presidents he had to serve under. But the most telling incident he recounted was when he went into the Oval Office to say that the Iranians had fired on american vessels in the gulf. He said he walked in and told Reagan what had happened, and Reagan didn't seem to hear or understand and instead told him to look out the window at the squirrel playing in the tree.

I'm gonna add one more thing that I think should be clear, but you never know on this board, seeing as so many people think that Palin is great...

If McCain is another Reagan, that means our national debt will be 30 TRILLION dollars at the end of a two term administration.

If McCain is another Reagan, that means that we'll have to fight another war in roughly 23 years, to topple someone we prop up, sell chemical and bio weapons to, and who kills thousands upon thousands of people.

If McCain is another Reagan, that means that somebody he gives billions in cash and weapons too will then cause about 3000 americans to be killed, and they will cause major damage to our nation.

If McCain is another Reagan, than unemployment will actually go UP.

Is this the same Reagan who oversaw one of the most dramatic increase in government spending (and debt), sharp rises in inequality, and a gigantic [Savings and Loans] crisis?

Maybe you're just talking about the Reagan that launched a war of terror against Nicaragua instead.

MCain has been a player in Washington for the last thirty years.

He's like Regan?

I don't think so.

Reagan was the start of the deregulations, cold war, tax breaks to the rich, trickle down, breaking unions, doubling the debt, etc.

Bush is very much like Reagan. In what ways will McCain be more like Reagan?

MCain has been a player in Washington for the last thirty years.

He's like Regan?

I don't think so.

McCain said he has been fighting the corruption in Wall Street for 30 years. Sorta like Hillary bragging about her experience with health care. They both clearely FAILED!

We don't need someone with a lot of the wrong kind of experience.

Obama finished at the top of his class, was a constitutional scholar, was involved in state politics and is a shining star in the Federal Government. He seems like the kind of person who can get us back on track.

Saying McCain is the guy to fix our problems is laughable.

Last night they played a clip from November 2007 of an interview where McCain was asked about the housing collapse. McCain said he had no idea it was coming and had no idea what to do to fix it. He said, "I'll be straight with you, i don't pretend to be that smart".

Now he is pretending to be that smart. Trust me, he is not. Obama is.

Now he is pretending to be that smart. Trust me, he is not. Obama is.

somehow, i don't think you're on the Nobel nominating committee, so i won't.
trust you, that is.
obama's done nothing in the Federal govt beyond using it to further his own ambitions. Doesn't make him a bad person, but to call him a "shining star" is laughable on its face.

New Topics

Forum List

Back