McCain TV Ratings Beat Obama in Preliminary Numbers (TVWEEK)

SolarEnergy1

May 18, 2007
Presidential candidate John McCain's acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention drew more television viewers than his rival Barack Obama attracted at the Democratic party's event last week, according to preliminary ratings from Nielsen Media Research.

Across all broadcast networks Thursday, Sen. McCain’s speech ended the night with a 4.8 rating/7 share, compared to Sen. Obama’s 4.3/7 average, according to overnight numbers from metered households in 55 U.S. markets measured by Nielsen. These ratings are preliminary, however, and are subject to change.

NBC’s coverage of Sen. McCain’s speech started directly at the tail end of the opening game of NFL season, with the speech pulling in a 6.3 rating/10 share, topping Sen. Obama’s speech last week by 26%. That lead-in may have boosted audiences who last night turned out in droves to watch Republican VP candidate Sarah Palin introduce herself to the country.

ABC’s showing of the McCain speech averaged a 4.5/7, down 2% from the same night of the Democratic convention last week, while CBS’ coverage took in a 3.4/5, an increase of 3%.

McCain TV Ratings Beat Obama in Preliminary Numbers - TVWeek - News

The left can't function without the tv to tell them who to vote for and who will win.

Then when the tvs wrong, they think there's a conspiracy.....

It's all part and parcel of the mental illness thing.

Never knew we elected on TV ratings

This is a close race that is going to go down to the debates, stances, economic situation, etc between now and election day

No, we don't elect on T.V. ratings, but if more people watched then more people may vote for that candidate.I mean it is pretty simple mathematics.!!
I feel the Republicans will win in the End.

No, we don't elect on T.V. ratings, but if more people watched then more people may vote for that candidate.I mean it is pretty simple mathematics.!!

What about all the DEMs and left wing loonies who were watching it in just the hopes of catching a gaff? What about all the dogs that sat on the remote and happened to change it to a channel covering the convention?

It's TV ratings... and while it will be used as a talking point by McCain's advisers and staff, like it was used by Obama's advisers and staff... it actuality it means nothing...

Across all broadcast networks Thursday, Sen. McCain’s speech ended the night with a 4.8 rating/7 share, compared to Sen. Obama’s 4.3/7 average, according to overnight numbers from metered households in 55 U.S. markets measured by Nielsen. These ratings are preliminary, however, and are subject to change.

Are you fucking kidding me? .5 difference in a Nielson rating? Oh how DESPERATE you people are!

I watched every day of both conventions. Im still voting for Obama. Fucking HILARIOUS.

Last edited:

I watched, and trust me I'm not voting for a Republican :lol:

I think curiousity drives a lot of people to tune into these events.

I wanted to see what McCain had to say. I was shocked that his message seemed to be "yes the Republican party has fucked you for the last 8 years, but c'mon, give the maverick another chance" :eusa_whistle:

It was a disturbing case of pandering for the indie vote and one that I suspect they will see right through.

Repubs think they can say one thing during the primary to get the nomination, another thing during the convention to draw in voters and something completely different during debates and ads.

the message is clear. They think Americans are stupid. Most likely because GWB managed to get re-elected in 2004, and even I admit that is strong evidence in the affirmative.

I wanted to see what McCain had to say. I was shocked that his message seemed to be "yes the Republican party has fucked you for the last 8 years, but c'mon, give the maverick another chance" :eusa_whistle:

It was a disturbing case of pandering for the indie vote and one that I suspect they will see right through.

Repubs think they can say one thing during the primary to get the nomination, another thing during the convention to draw in voters and something completely different during debates and ads.

the message is clear. They think Americans are stupid. Most likely because GWB managed to get re-elected in 2004, and even I admit that is strong evidence in the affirmative.

:eusa_boohoo::eusa_boohoo::eusa_boohoo:

This is just so funny.

huh, only the elderly watch network tv. Everyone else watches cable.

Right, and the pollsters don't poll people with cell phones.

If you're going to lie, at least do so better.

If only old people watch TV, then why did more tune in for McCain than Obama? Hmmm....?

Forum List

Back