McCain turns down FEC matching funds

Sounds like he is going to use public funding for the general election though.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89538146

McCain intends to take public funds. He accuses Obama of breaking a promise to do the same. But the cash machine built by the Obama campaign may dwarf the $84 million federal grant that he would get from Washington under public financing.

McCain and Obama seemed to strike an agreement on public financing months ago. If both were nominated and one said yes, so would the other. Obama even answered in the affirmative on a questionnaire that asked if he would use public funds.

Since then, however, Obama's fundraising has shot into the stratosphere. The higher it goes, the less incentive he has to take public funds.

McCain is making the promise a campaign issue. "I made a promise to the American people that I would" take public funds, he said in a recent campaign appearance. "And he made a promise. Apparently he may not keep that."

Which is separate and legal.

Decent explanation of the issue.

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/02/mccains_fec_problem.php

McCain's FEC Problem
By Paul Kiel - February 22, 2008, 1:17PM

We noted this yesterday. But The Washington Post does a good job today in sizing up the situation and its possible mammoth consequences for McCain's campaign.

There are really two completely separate issues here.

First, McCain opted in to the public finance system for the primaries last year. It meant that his struggling campaign would get $5.8 million in public matching funds in March. Now that he's effectively the Republican nominee, he wants out, because the system entails a spending limit of $54 million through the end of August. He's almost spent that much already, according to the Post.

So the McCain campaign sent the Federal Election Commission a letter (pdf) earlier this month saying that he was opting out. But there's a problem. And FEC Chairman David Mason, a Republican, made it plain in his letter (pdf) yesterday: McCain can't tell the FEC that he's out of the system. He can only ask.

And the FEC, which normally has six commissioners, can't give him an answer until it has a quorum of four commissioners. It currently only has two. That's because the Senate has been deadlocked over four nominees; Democrats insist on a separate confirmation vote for vote-suppression guru Hans von Spakovsky, and Republicans insist on a single vote for all nominees.

The second issue has to do with McCain's tricky loan and whether the FEC will conclude that it locked him into the system. But for now, that's really ancillary to the first issue.

It is a serious issue. As the Post reports, "Knowingly violating the spending limit is a criminal offense that could put McCain at risk of stiff fines and up to five years in prison."

It's really unclear as to what might happen next. McCain's lawyer says he's out of the system and that's that. It's unclear if they'll respond to Mason's letter. And it's unclear if the FEC can do anything or be forced to do anything, without the necessary quorum. It's literally an unprecedented situation.

For now, however, the consequences for the dispute are mostly political for McCain, as election law expert Rick Hasen writes:

McCain faces at least a political problem. More than anyone else, Sen. McCain's name is synonymous with campaign finance reform (think McCain-Feingold). If he's arguably in violation of the law, that will tarnish his reputation. He may be able to make technically correct arguments that he is not in violation, but the smell is bad.

Note: Hasen cites Mark Schmitt on a certain irony. Pretty much everyone agrees that the public financing system for the primaries is broken -- the spending limits are too low and the payouts are too late (March). As Steve Weissman of the Campaign Finance Institute put it to me, the primary system in its current state is "basically only for losing candidates" -- candidates without the fundraising wherewithal to really compete.

But McCain has refused to support efforts to fix the system, so in a way, he has himself to blame for the fact that the system is so unworkable that he's possibly bent the rules to get out of it.

I don't see anywhere, in any of the links, where it states clearly that McCain violated anything, as you insist. What I DO see is speculation that he might have, in the usual accusatory way. If he's violated the law, bust him and be done with it.

I have no problem with someone being in the system then requesting out, and the precedent set is the FEC allows them out. It isn't suddenly a shady operation because it's McCain doing it.

I could care less who it is. Hillary, Obama, George Washington ... makes no difference to me. I oppose politicians using tax dollars to promote themselves for office, and anyone that wants out is fine with me.

No, they ask for proof, that does not mean they disagree. That means they want to ensure their guidelines and policies were adhered to.

Now if McCain can not provide that proof, you have a case.

Never said otherwise. But the questions are being asked and for someone who talks about campaign finance reform like McCain, one would think people would care about his possibly playing fast and loose with rules.

I don't see anywhere, in any of the links, where it states clearly that McCain violated anything, as you insist. What I DO see is speculation that he might have, in the usual accusatory way. If he's violated the law, bust him and be done with it.

Hence the lawsuit.

I have no problem with someone being in the system then requesting out, and the precedent set is the FEC allows them out. It isn't suddenly a shady operation because it's McCain doing it.

Err, no. If you rely on the funds for a loan, your in.

This financial debacle McCain is in ought to show you all how irresponsible this man is when it comes to financial matters.

Why would anyone want a man like him in the White House with our current economic environment?

Not quite.

Meaning McCain can't withdraw according to the FEC.

Depends on whether the FEC buys what he's selling, or which of the conflicting articles you wish to believe. It's up to the FEC.

I just posted an article that was news. You blew it out of proportion with your baseless accusations that I was purposefully leaving something out.

That's how the left is spinning it anyway. Has nothing to do with whether or not he can or cannot drop out of public funding.

No. It's what McCain acknowledged. And I wasn't the one who said it had to do with fiscal responsibility. I think it has to do with honesty and I think you'd all better start paying attention to the flip flops and inconsistencies...not that that will matter to the right.

No. It's what McCain acknowledged. And I wasn't the one who said it had to do with fiscal responsibility. I think it has to do with honesty and I think you'd all better start paying attention to the flip flops and inconsistencies...not that that will matter to the right.

Doesn't matter if he's an expert on economy. That's why Presidents appoint those that are.

And just GMAFB on the "flip flop" routine, huh? Both Hillary and Obama have been conducting freakin' clinics on "flip-flopping" and not ONE freakin' peep out of you about it.

Pot calling the kettle black.

Depends on whether the FEC buys what he's selling, or which of the conflicting articles you wish to believe. It's up to the FEC.

No, its not, actually. They don't have the votes to let him withdraw even if they wanted too. He committed to it, and now hes in.

No, its not, actually. They don't have the votes to let him withdraw even if they wanted too. He committed to it, and now hes in.

Well, except for the fact he says he's not. I realize you on the left are just frothing at the mouth at his not being able to compete and that's the only thing driving this train, but I really don't care whether he is or is not.

Tell HIM he has to stay in cuz you said so. Don't tell me.

Everyone is missing the entire picture here. It was Obama that pledged public funding, should he win the nomination. It is Obama that balked when McCain agreed. Obama has now stated that he will not accept publc funds. McCain is simply covering his ass. You damn leftist morons are all foaming at the mouth about this, yet no one dares to call Obama on his reversal of hs own pledge.

P.S. Jillian, that is called flip-flopping.

Forum List

Back