McCain To Tell Supporters, 'Write In George Bush' Why?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
This seems very good analysis to me. Links at site:
http://www.captainsquartersblog.com/mt/archives/006506.php

March 10, 2006
Why Has McCain Become A Bush Cheerleader?

Chris Matthews reports at MS-NBC that John McCain plans to instruct delegates at the Southern Republican Leadership Conference to vote for George Bush as a write-in candidate instead of voting for him as the preferred nominee for 2008. Matthews says that McCain asks this to show support for the President, presently in a rough patch, and to keep the GOP's focus on 2006:

It's early on at the Southern Republican Leadership Conference down here, but already we've learned some big news.

Sources tell me that Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., plans to shock his supporters tonight by asking them to NOT vote for him in the presidential straw poll that will be conducted by The Hotline on Saturday.

Instead, McCain will urge his followers to write in President Bush's name. McCain will tell his supporters that this is not about 2008, but rather about 2006 and supporting the president.

According to McCain's supporters, he'll say: "I think we have bigger things to worry about. So if any friends here are thinking about voting for me, please don't. Just write in President Bush's name."​

McCain has supported Bush in elections and on the war, but has not given Bush much support for his legislative agenda. He has also gone out of his way to play the "maverick" during the last six years, often crossing the White House on key issues. His defection on the Byrd option to defeat the obstructionism that Democrats employed against over a third of Bush's nominees to the appellate courts cost Bush a number of his judicial appointments, including Henry Saad and Brett Kavanaugh.

In short, McCain has made a pest out of himself, and seemed to enjoy playing the centrist gadfly that attracts all of the media attention. So why has he suddenly taken on a role as Bush's chief defender?

Two reasons spring to mind.
Since the beginning of the year, McCain has tried to patch up his standing with Bush supporters in the party. McCain discovered that while he polls well in the general electorate, his numbers among actual Republicans would prevent him from winning the primaries. Repairing his image as a sell-out and an enemy of free speech will take a huge effort, and this toadying at the SRLC appears to be part of that. It also is unusual enough to ensure that McCain will get his invites to the Sunday-morning talk shows to which he appears addicted.

Matthews picks up on the second reason. McCain does not enjoy a lot of popularity in the South, and he likely would have finished poorly anyway. Matthews thinks that George Allen will score well at the SRLC straw poll, but Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee will be certain to show strength as well. A third-place finish (or worse) might convince the big fundraisers that McCain will not generate the kind of momentum needed early in the effort, and the big power players will flock instead to Allen and Huckabee, and perhaps even Mitt Romney as a dark-horse candidate.

So in order to get attention at a conference that would be inclined to discount him, suck up to the Bush supporters, and appeal to the party stalwarts who feel he stabbed the GOP in the back with his Gang of 14 antics, he plays a little rah-rah for Bush and attempts to shame everyone into making the entire event irrelevant. It's a clever ploy, one that might even work to a limited extent, and will almost certainly steal all the thunder and momentum from this effort to establish some credibility for Republican candidates early in the process.

In other words, if it's true, it's a typical self-centered McCain publicity stunt.

He's trying to neutralize the meaningless strawpoll as he's the frontrunner, but would likely lose to Frist who "packed" Tennessee event with voters who support him.

It's a counter move to Frist's move.

Seems like good, clean fun politics. The kind of thing that even I can laugh at given that it has zero real world impact.

The Swiftboating of John Kerry, on the other hand... was just down-right dirty politics.

jAZ said:
He's trying to neutralize the meaningless strawpoll as he's the frontrunner, but would likely lose to Frist who "packed" Tennessee event with voters who support him.

It's a counter move to Frist's move.

Seems like good, clean fun politics. The kind of thing that even I can laugh at given that it has zero real world impact.

The Swiftboating of John Kerry, on the other hand... was just down-right dirty politics.

yea pitty kerry was not a respected leader and "faked" his injuries and shot and unarmed kid in the back....the swift boat vets were way out of line

Someone needs to tell McCain that Bush can't run for re-election. This is total nonsense, whether there's a ploy attached or not, and will further add to the gaining suspicion that McCain is not the best man we can put forth in 2008.

At the same time, here is a sympathetic look at him. Link to Drudge at site:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/blog/2006/03/mccain_at_the_srlc.html
McCain At The SRLC

Last night at the SRLC, John McCain drew the unenviable task of speaking after former Congressman J.C. Watts. Depending upon how much a conspiracy theorist you are, this could have been either sheer coincidence or the devilish, micro-detailed machinations of pro-Frist forces seeking to give their man every possible advantage playing on his home field.

Nevertheless, McCain did his best, starting with a smart, if somewhat risqué joke that paid homage to Watts’s inimitable speaking style and also lowered the expectation bar back down to a more manageable level. “I feel like Zsa Zsa Gabor’s fifth husband on his wedding night,” McCain deadpanned, “I know what I’m supposed to do, I just don’t know how to make it interesting.”

By the time McCain took the stage people had already been buzzing about his plan to tell delegates to write President Bush's name down on their straw poll ballots, saying "personal amibitions should be a distant second" to standing with President Bush in the war on terror. The implication, however, is that McCain wants to avoid an embarrassing showing in the straw poll so he chose to try and deligitimize it - which is pretty ironic since straw polls aren't all that legitimate to begin with. Anyway, Drudge is now touting this as a huge embarrassment for McCain, though my sense is that might be overstating things a bit.

One more note from McCain's speech last night. Among the "straight talk" he offered to the delegates was the view that killing the Dubai ports deal was a mistake. McCain talked about depth of our relationship with the UAE, especially with regard to how much logistical assistance our Navy receives from Dubai, and how it was harmful to America's effort to win the war for the hearts and minds of the Arab people around the world. He said he felt the decision to kill the deal was premature and not handled particuarly well by Congress: "The president deserved better," McCain said to a smattering of applause.

Adam's Apple said:
Someone needs to tell McCain that Bush can't run for re-election. This is total nonsense, whether there's a ploy attached or not, and will further add to the gaining suspicion that McCain is not the best man we can put forth in 2008.

I'm sure that Senator McCain knows that the President is term limited. I think the reason McCain did this was to garner support for a sitting President. President Bush's numbers are in the crapper and McCain was simply trying one last effort to get the party behind him. I don't think it had anything to do with trying to expand his own base. His base is as large as it is going to get in the Republican Party, because he is a moderate that won't pander to the right. He knows he is not going be the party's nominee. Look for a Guliani/McCain ticket in '08. Just a hunch.

Kathianne said:
At the same time, here is a sympathetic look at him. Link to Drudge at site:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/blog/2006/03/mccain_at_the_srlc.html

If anything McCain has put himself right in the swamp with conservatives over the last few years with his theatrics and Im more likely to agree with Mathews. That said he has in a way positioned himself right between the Republican right and the left looneys to almost be considered a third party candidate with an R next to his name. Strong on defense/terrorism, socially a bit more liberal....Right now people seem to be fed up with both parties so it would not surprise me that he runs for president taking advantage of that thinking this just may be his chance finally to be a strong independent and possibly win.

onthefence said:
I'm sure that Senator McCain knows that the President is term limited. I think the reason McCain did this was to garner support for a sitting President. President Bush's numbers are in the crapper and McCain was simply trying one last effort to get the party behind him.

The whole idea was stupid--but kind hearted, I'll agree.

I thought his unconventional idea of asking the conservatives to write in Bush's name was extremely valuable and strategic. With that remark, he is emphasizing then need to stay focused on the war on terror and our American soldiers. McCain understands that the conflicts of today must be sustained and fought with full force. His witty request conveys his sense of duty and concern for the problems of today which far surpass any thought of the 2008 election.

shoooot9 said:
I thought his unconventional idea of asking the conservatives to write in Bush's name was extremely valuable and strategic. With that remark, he is emphasizing then need to stay focused on the war on terror and our American soldiers. McCain understands that the conflicts of today must be sustained and fought with full force. His witty request conveys his sense of duty and concern for the problems of today which far surpass any thought of the 2008 election.

Well put. Why would there be so much emphasis on the '08 election, when we haven't even gotten through the mid-terms. Shouldn't the GOP be focusing it's national effort to hold on to the House and Senate? McCain's idea was intended to show that President Bush is still the President and will be until January of '09.

onthefence said:
Well put. Why would there be so much emphasis on the '08 election, when we haven't even gotten through the mid-terms. Shouldn't the GOP be focusing it's national effort to hold on to the House and Senate? McCain's idea was intended to show that President Bush is still the President and will be until January of '09.

That isn't what McCain was doing. He was trying to pretend that he is a conservative to get conservative support when he runs. Not to mention he was trying to cover up for the fact that as the "front runner" he came in fifth. Even President Bush who isn't running got more support. And because of that He can claim he caused that and pretend that those people would have supported him.

Its all politics. McCain isnt as squeaky clean as the media tries to pretend.

shoooot9 said:

Welcome! May I ask how old you are?

As for McCain, he knew he was going to bomb in the straw poll, which is really assinine to begin with. With that said, he's a snowball's chance in hell of winning the GOP nomination. Tis a shame that he's so narcissitic that he's blown all chances for winning over conservatives, considering that for the most part, he is conservative.

Give me a break, these straw polls mean nothing, and McCain was political correct in portraying the fact these polls are extremely miniscule compared to any conflict America presently faces.

shoooot9 said:
Give me a break, these straw polls mean nothing, and McCain was political correct in portraying the fact these polls are extremely miniscule compared to any conflict America presently faces.
Cute. Reiterating what I'd posted regarding straw poll. McCain was NOT correct, but I guess the rationale is lost on you.

haha I did not know you stated that actually, but hey it is ok that I have -21 or whatever cause you said MY COMMENT WAS CUTE.

shoooot9 said:
haha I did not know you stated that actually, but hey it is ok that I have -21 or whatever cause you said MY COMMENT WAS CUTE.

No problem. What's said in pm's and rep, stays in pm and rep! Remember that!

That isn't what McCain was doing. He was trying to pretend that he is a conservative to get conservative support when he runs. Not to mention he was trying to cover up for the fact that as the "front runner" he came in fifth. Even President Bush who isn't running got more support. And because of that He can claim he caused that and pretend that those people would have supported him.

Its all politics. McCain isnt as squeaky clean as the media tries to pretend.

This "straw poll" was in Memphis. The largest delgation was from Tennessee. I believe it was something like 40%. Was there any doubt that Frist was going to win? It took a few elections for President Reagan to gain support from southern conservatives. My point is the same that Kathianne made. The "straw poll" doesn't matter and never has. It is simply an excuse for the right of the party to get together and make each other feel good about about themselves. If the poll had been in Arizona, how do you think it would have turned out? McCain's not stupid. He probably knew he was going to tank in Tennessee, because he doesn't really care about social issues. He is about the business of government. He showed up merely to try to rally a party that has abandoned their President.

Kathianne said:
No problem. What's said in pm's and rep, stays in pm and rep! Remember that!

Better remind dmp and got zoom of that! Bottom of their sig lines was a quote made in a 'rep' section! :poke:

Forum List

Back