McCain To Tell Supporters, 'Write In George Bush' Why?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Annie, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    This seems very good analysis to me. Links at site:

2. jAZ

jAZ Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    He's trying to neutralize the meaningless strawpoll as he's the frontrunner, but would likely lose to Frist who "packed" Tennessee event with voters who support him.

It's a counter move to Frist's move.

Seems like good, clean fun politics. The kind of thing that even I can laugh at given that it has zero real world impact.

The Swiftboating of John Kerry, on the other hand... was just down-right dirty politics.

3. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    yea pitty kerry was not a respected leader and "faked" his injuries and shot and unarmed kid in the back....the swift boat vets were way out of line

4. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    What, specifically, was dirty about it?

5. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Someone needs to tell McCain that Bush can't run for re-election. This is total nonsense, whether there's a ploy attached or not, and will further add to the gaining suspicion that McCain is not the best man we can put forth in 2008.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    At the same time, here is a sympathetic look at him. Link to Drudge at site:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/blog/2006/03/mccain_at_the_srlc.html

7. CrimsonWhite

CrimsonWhite *****istrator Emeritus Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,757
    I'm sure that Senator McCain knows that the President is term limited. I think the reason McCain did this was to garner support for a sitting President. President Bush's numbers are in the crapper and McCain was simply trying one last effort to get the party behind him. I don't think it had anything to do with trying to expand his own base. His base is as large as it is going to get in the Republican Party, because he is a moderate that won't pander to the right. He knows he is not going be the party's nominee. Look for a Guliani/McCain ticket in '08. Just a hunch.

8. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669

If anything McCain has put himself right in the swamp with conservatives over the last few years with his theatrics and Im more likely to agree with Mathews. That said he has in a way positioned himself right between the Republican right and the left looneys to almost be considered a third party candidate with an R next to his name. Strong on defense/terrorism, socially a bit more liberal....Right now people seem to be fed up with both parties so it would not surprise me that he runs for president taking advantage of that thinking this just may be his chance finally to be a strong independent and possibly win.

9. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    The whole idea was stupid--but kind hearted, I'll agree.

10. shoooot9

shoooot9 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I thought his unconventional idea of asking the conservatives to write in Bush's name was extremely valuable and strategic. With that remark, he is emphasizing then need to stay focused on the war on terror and our American soldiers. McCain understands that the conflicts of today must be sustained and fought with full force. His witty request conveys his sense of duty and concern for the problems of today which far surpass any thought of the 2008 election.